Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMS computers now available for K Series - Full Review & Write up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMS computers now available for K Series - Full Review & Write up!

Hello fellow Honda Enthusiasts, I write to you today a write up & review on an aftermarket computer now available for the Honda K series.

The computer I will be discussing is an EMS – Engine management system Fuel Injection
    They have been in the scene for over 20 years with much great success powering 6 second vehicles to your daily street warrior. Besides computers they do a whole range of other goodies which can be found in the following link:
    http://emsefi.com/onlineshop/

Or you can browse their website in the following link:
    http://www.emsefi.com/emsefi/

Incar Racing located in Wetherill park has been working alongside EMS to create a computer for the Honda K Series motors to put another option out on the market for Honda owners. Your most common computer would be a Hondata K-Pro followed by the Haltech Platinum’s, but now we have the EMS Motorsports Available.
    I’m not here to win you over or convince you to go EMS, but simply to show the potential , features and results of the EMS on the DC5R

A common problem when using the K-Pro or Haltech’s on the DC5R was losing the Immobilizer and having the annoying Green key flash on your cluster. We made sure first of all this was not a problem, EMS have created this computer to work alongside the stock ECU so this does not happen. So yes, they have built a fully tuneable computer which does NOT set off or de-activate your Immobilizer! Extra brownie points? We think so!

The test mule was my DC5R, EMS have created a simple Plug-In and go harness or a more technical term being the 'patch harness', this harness basically plugs into your Stock harness, then splits off into two, one going into your stock ECU and the other powering the EMS Motorsport. This means you can simply unplug your EMS computer at any time, reconnect the harness to your stock computer and away you go, back to a stock tune and computer, being a 'patch harness' you can still connect extra inputs and outputs to the EMS ECU such as a flex fuel sensor.
    Please see the picture below for reference:

Now it may seem as a Piggy-back setup but in actual fact it isn’t, the EMS motorsport is able to control a whole heap but to keep it simple I’ll note the main things and a link to provide the rest of the information :
    Fuel ,Timing, VTEC switch point, Cams, 2 step launch control, rev limiter, E-Flex/E85, Turbo, Nitrous, Data logging, real-time tuning
    Full Specs See here : http://www.emsefi.com/emsefi/index.p...=1&limitstart=

So why keep the stock ECU in place? The stock ECU on a DC5R runs many things in which EMS decided if it doesn’t need to be tampered with then why touch it? The immobilizer for one amongst many other things such as the cluster, idle control, alternator and with keeping the stock computer in place it keeps reverting the car back to stock easy as possible and keeping it as factory as possible whilst still having full control over tuning!

As we all know Dyno’s are a simple tuning tool, whilst some may rave on about numbers and how much extra killerwasps their red calipers gave them, the Dyno is used to extract the maximum output out of your motor whilst keeping the motor reliable and safe day & night!
    As mentioned the test mule was my DC5R. We did a Base Dyno run of the air/fuel ratio, torque and of course killer watts.

The supporting modifications on the car looked like this:

K20A2
    Toda headers: (4-2-1, 4:45mm 2:50mm 1:55mm Tapper: 60mm)
    Toda Cat
    Fujitsubo Powergetter (60.5mm/2.38”)
    Injen CAI
    Hardrace Engine mounts
    17x9+35 rims with 225/45/17 tyres

This provided the following results:
    122.8kw @ 8400rpm
    154nm @ 6800rpm
    14.302 @ 97.26mph 60ft, 2.201

*Red line is with above mods, Green line is with Completely stock K20A2*

With the exact same modifications and an EMS Motorsport tune by Incar Racing we got:

131.6kw @ 7950rpm
    175nm @ 5100rpm
    Yet to be raced at 1/4mile

*Please excuse the hard to read dyno graph, ran out of ink *
    Torque graph

A/F Ratio

So what can we say about this? We got an extra 21nm of torque 1500rpm’s earlier, we have gained 9kw peak power and the A/F Ratio’s are almost identical if not better than prior to tune. On the track this should see a reduction in 60ft times and due to extensive and precise cruise tuning and the slightly better A/F ratios a better fuel economy over the whole range.
    Incar Racing tried changing the VTEC switch point every 100rpms to find the sweet spot on this setup, now whilst every car and setup would be different the best switchover point for this car was 6150rpm. As mentioned we tried upwards of 3800rpm increasing every 100rpm, with this setup the typical (4500, 4800,5400) switch over points were creating a dramatic dip in power and torque after VTEC kicked in (YO) thus losing power and torque down low.
    Incar Racing's Dyno is regularly being calibrated by Official Dyno Dynamics technicians as we like to keep our results and power figures as accurate as possible. Some may call it a low reading Dyno but we call it a accurate dyno, This car has been Dyno'd on 2 other dynos throughout sydney's performance shops registering a 134kw on 1 and 129kw on another PRIOR to tune.

Extra comments by the tuner himself:
    This car requires a 2.5” to 3” exhaust to breathe properly which should see anywhere from 2-10 kw increase, coupled with a larger throttle body & a RBC intake manifold a mid to high 140kw figure and a 170-190nm torque figure should be reachable! The increased torque down low should make driveability from day to day much better. The car it self has more in it and could squeeze some more power out of it but we wanted a safe tune which the car can be tracked and reved to 9000rpm all day every day and not have a single problem, detonation or knock knock boom!

Pricing:
    Incar Racing currently is offering this setup for $2200. This is Supplying the computer & Harness, Fitting and Tuning. I can speak to them to see if a Forum special or Club special could be organised?? But best to contact them on 97571218.

We will be heading out to WSID next week (pending weather) to see the difference!
    Thanks for taking the time to have a read!

Incar Racing Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Incar...1396965?ref=hl

Last edited by Flippit; 24-05-13, 06:54 PM.
    S2000
    WSID : TBA
    Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
    Smooth As Detailing
    Incar Racing

Good read indeed Russo. Cheers for being the ECU test tube baby. Will be considering it in the future.
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Great work Phil.

Really looking forward to your review after testing out the car!
      Shak's S2000

Comment

Good work phil, im defs considering getting ems now

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorculture mobile app
        BNR34 Build [SOLD]
        APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
        Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
        NSEX

Comment

Hmm, seems like really good pricing Phil!. Compared to the Hondata unit, it looks like from your review the only real benefit is the lack of going to a Honda Dealership to re-key the immobiliser as the original ECU stays intact.

Who else can tune the EMS piggyback ECU besides in car racing? Also where do you plan on mounting the piggyback ECU? It looks like a rather beefy unit and AFAIK there isnt much room under there.
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

Also does the EMS unit allow applying new calibrations, does it come with any base maps to begin with?
            Integra Type R
            Integra Type S
            S2000

Comment

Originally posted by knobosaurus View Post
              Good read indeed Russo. Cheers for being the ECU test tube baby. Will be considering it in the future.
              Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
              Great work Phil.

Really looking forward to your review after testing out the car!
              Originally posted by wongy View Post
              Good work phil, im defs considering getting ems now

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorculture mobile app
              Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
              Hmm, seems like really good pricing Phil!. Compared to the Hondata unit, it looks like from your review the only real benefit is the lack of going to a Honda Dealership to re-key the immobiliser as the original ECU stays intact.

Who else can tune the EMS piggyback ECU besides in car racing? Also where do you plan on mounting the piggyback ECU? It looks like a rather beefy unit and AFAIK there isnt much room under there.
              Thanks for replies guys! Will be updating the review as I take the car to WSID next week and also some data logging and if need be some fine tuning.

Alex besides the immobiliser you also keep the original Idle control which some tuners are not able to get right a lot of the time especially when A/C kicks in. Also there is a few other main benefits which I'm gathering from EMS them selves which again I'll be sure to update.
              Regarding the unit it self, since i was the test mule this computer is the older version which is the 'larger' unit, the newer unit available AFAIK as of next month is half the size yet holding all the same features.
              Mounting is personal choice really, having a look so far we can either mount it directly under neath the stock ECU and the cover will still fit over it concealing it 100%. You can mount it to centre console on the right of your passengers leg, you can also mount it in the glovebox (newer version). Again as I continue on I will keep the thread updated.

Thanks

EDIT: from what i can read also there EMS has mroe tuning tables for fuel and ignition so its finer tuning which equals to better cruise and better fuel economy.
              EMS = 48x32
              KPRO = 16x20

But I am no tuner so I will confirm this all
              Last edited by Flippit; 24-05-13, 08:37 PM.
              S2000

Flippit Photography
              Smooth As Detailing
              Incar Racing

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                Also does the EMS unit allow applying new calibrations, does it come with any base maps to begin with?
                Any EMS tuner can tune these and make adjustments, Although its a new computer of its kind for K series it may be hard for them as it took Incar Racing a bit of testing and trial and error. But EMS has a list on their sight of official dealers in Sydney. Yes the EMS allows new calibrations or tweaking providing your tuner does not lock it. I'm yet to find out if EMS supplies base maps but Incar Racing does and can provide them if you wish not to use Incar Racing but need a base map.
                Last edited by Flippit; 24-05-13, 09:00 PM.
                S2000

Flippit Photography
                Smooth As Detailing
                Incar Racing

Comment

Cool stuff Flippit!! Looking forward to reading more on this! Was a great read.
                  Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

It's good to know that a smaller version will be available as I have a defi system under the ecu.
                    Shak's S2000

Comment

Awesome write up!

Thanks for such an in-depth review, not many people know a lot of alternatives to Hondata

Comment

Does the EMS control VTC?
                        BYP Racing & Developments
                        Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                        STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

this is awesome phil
                          sigpic

Comment

Many thanks guys! Be sure to keep an eye out for some updates next week.

Originally posted by benson View Post
                            Does the EMS control VTC?
                            Yes it does.
                            S2000

Flippit Photography
                            Smooth As Detailing
                            Incar Racing

Comment

Can you point out where it says it can control variable timing cam?

Can't seem to find it via the link you posted.
                              BYP Racing & Developments
                              Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                              STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Working...
                              X