Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission Fluid, to change or not to change ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Fluid, to change or not to change ?

Hello again fellow members. There has been some doubt in my mind since reading threads about changing the transmission fluids. There are some people who say it is good to change the transmission fluid and there are some who say it may damage the gearbox.

My question is, for a DC5R on 130,000 KM, would you guys recommend to do a MTF change or flush ? Or to simply leave it. And with the history of the car, I do not know when it was last changed as no service books were provided when it was purchased.

Thankyou in advance !

I would change it straight away.
    Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

The rule of thumb is if you buy a car and don't know the service history, do a fluid change. A expense of a new fluid change is a lot less than a damaged motor/gearbox.
      Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Thanks for the rapid replies guys.
        I've read that Genuine Honda MTF is the way to go ?
        And should I Change or do a Flush ?

Comment

I just drain and refil. How do you plan on flushing? Just run fluid through the tranny till it comes out clean? Or fill, run, drain, refil?

Comment

And yes. Honda MTF is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by DaRKNT View Post
              I just drain and refil. How do you plan on flushing? Just run fluid through the tranny till it comes out clean? Or fill, run, drain, refil?
              I was going to do the Drain, Fill, Run, Drain, Refill. But I figured that would kind of be a waste of $40.

Do the stock DC5R come with the magnetic drain plug ?

Comment

no, but i am pretty sure it has a set of magnets in side it...
                ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                  no, but i am pretty sure it has a set of magnets in side it...
                  Thanks for clearly that up Tinkerbell.

So theres no way to cleaning that up ?

Comment

I would drain and refill as well. There will be a bit of residual fluid from whatevers in there currently, but it will probably combine with whatever you put in there and won't cause a problem.

I've used OEM Honda MTF and I think its perfectly fine, but I prefer Red Line MTL which is the same weight as OEM Honda (70W-80) but in synthetic form. This provides extra resistance to heat and shearing compared to OEM and feels just as good as well.
                    Last edited by mugsee; 17-05-13, 03:29 PM.
                    Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by teee94 View Post
                      I was going to do the Drain, Fill, Run, Drain, Refill. But I figured that would kind of be a waste of $40.

Do the stock DC5R come with the magnetic drain plug ?
                      Solid plan. Do it, it will blow your mind.

Pick up a magnet from Neat Gearboxes or something. I personally don't run one.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                        I would drain and refill as well. There will be a bit of residual fluid from whatevers in there currently, but it will probably combine with whatever you put in there and won't cause a problem.

I've used OEM Honda MTF and I think its perfectly fine, but I prefer Red Line MTL which is the same weight as OEM Honda (70W-80) but in synthetic form. This provides extra resistance to heat and shearing compared to OEM and feels just as good as well.
                        Thanks for the feedback ! But I think I'm going to go with OEM one as I don't track or drive it aggressively, mainly my daily car ! And I think Honda's a tad cheaper. I'm Asian...

Comment

Originally posted by DaRKNT View Post
                          Solid plan. Do it, it will blow your mind.

Pick up a magnet from Neat Gearboxes or something. I personally don't run one.
                          Blow my mind as in super smooth gear changes ?!

Comment

I wish i has some Redline :9
                            Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by teee94 View Post
                              Blow my mind as in super smooth gear changes ?!
                              Highly likely mate, freshness of oil has a large impact on how the gears mesh...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X