Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HID Retrofit Project completed! Pics coming soon... :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude. was checking out your eBay linky ... holy crap some ppl are charging a muthaload for some of the projectors! I never knew that they would be so freakin expensive ... especially the Infiniti G35 7lense projector, they looked wicked but the price was scarey.

I think I might just keep an eye out for some Euro projectors (TSX) and maybe do the swap in the future. Is it a straight forward process? Or do I need to get new bulbs/bulb bases to screw into the new projectors?

Either way a DC2 with BiXenons would be awesome

Comment

does the light pattern change if you get some american projectors?

because they drive on the other side of the road, their beam would be like

__/ __/

instead of

\__ \__

so you would be blinding oncoming traffic if you fit USDM lights... right?
      T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Originally posted by mecca View Post
        Dude. was checking out your eBay linky ... holy crap some ppl are charging a muthaload for some of the projectors! I never knew that they would be so freakin expensive ... especially the Infiniti G35 7lense projector, they looked wicked but the price was scarey.

Either way a DC2 with BiXenons would be awesome
        Check out HIDplanet for more projector info. The Infiniti projectors look radical but their light output is rather average...

I think a DC2 with BiXenon will be pretty rare in Australia... hehe..

Originally posted by MrThanh
        does the light pattern change if you get some american projectors?

because they drive on the other side of the road, their beam would be like

__/ __/

instead of

\__ \__

so you would be blinding oncoming traffic if you fit USDM lights... right?
        Absolutely correct!! You definitely need RHD projectors otherwise yes, you will blind oncoming traffic. The X5 projectors have the second shield which allows conversion between ECE (step pattern shown above) or DOT (perfectly level cutoff) standards.
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

You could put in some awesome long range spotties in to the hi-beam housing for your nightly drives
          happyhong says:
          aus only have 3 r
          happyhong says:
          civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
            You could put in some awesome long range spotties in to the hi-beam housing for your nightly drives
            Not a bad idea! It would be funny overtaking Semi's and having more light than them

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

So how goes the progress?

Comment

hey cam, if this works out easy for you, how bout going into business doing them for everyone like that guy on crsx who does them
                almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

http://www.skafia.com/itr/hid/

little tutorial i bookmarked a while ago

Comment

OK.... an update :-

Baked my headlights in the oven today. w00t! Removed the internal brackets and started cutting them to fit the BiXenon projectors.

It's time consuming, and, well... I ran out of time today. Starting an all-weekend project on Sunday afternoon wasn't very smart of me... However I can see the whole project starting to come together. It's quite exciting

Will post up some pics when I can be bothered to take some... !

Comment

Completed!

The light output is excellent, evenly spread and high beam with BiXenon is simply awesome...

Will be posting pics in the next couple of days...

PS: Do I have the only BiXenon headlight equipped DC2R in Australia?

Comment

Thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics.

Working on your car till 0317 when you have to work the next morning at 0900.

Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by JCE View Post
                          Thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics.

Working on your car till 0317 when you have to work the next morning at 0900.

Priceless.
                          And I made it to work on time!

Comment

I guess all the cooking, chopping and mounting worked out fine.

Thinking about buying second set of headlights to work on, don't wanna risk chopping my only set!

Glad to also hear you sorted out the high beam wiring for the projectors as well, thought that would be pretty tricky!

Pics dude!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mecca View Post
                              I guess all the cooking, chopping and mounting worked out fine.

Thinking about buying second set of headlights to work on, don't wanna risk chopping my only set!

Glad to also hear you sorted out the high beam wiring for the projectors as well, thought that would be pretty tricky!

Pics dude!!!
                              Cooking headlights in the oven FTW!!!

I must admit I was somewhat scared of damaging the headlights in the oven, or breaking stuff when I was cutting/modifying/etc. The first projector mounting took me hours and hours, I was gradually and carefully filing/dremelling material off the aluminium bracket.... measuring the distance to the center of the projector and making sure it was aligned correctly.

The next one took a lot less time, about 2 hours to cut the bracket and have the projector mounted to it & aligned etc. Still a time consuming job, however much easier once you know where to cut and the best way of going about it. The dremel was taking too long so I improvised and got out the angle grinder. Much better result, much less time...

The high beam shutters on the BiXenon are very simple... simply wire them in parallel with your high beam circuit... they draw bugger all power too which is excellent.

I'll take some pics tonight.... unfortunately as it was my first go I was too busy concentrating on not screwing up my headlights so I didn't really take progress pics. But I may be looking to dismantle them shortly to "colour mod" the projectors... see pic below :-

X5 projectors with shield "colour-modded" (not mine, same model projectors though)

Comment

sounds awesome!

What is colour modd'ing? Kinda put a shade on it? (some how it sounds rice! lol)

Comment

Working...
                                X