Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearing EPA (Environment Protection Authority)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As above I spoke to Huy and explained my big pain in the bum EPA I had a few years ago, when I still had my Spec 3. (Which I may want back )

Mods were:

- Toda Headers
    - BC Spec 3
    - Injen Intake
    - K100 / KPRO ECU (minus USB for those playing at home)

Change Stock Catback - Couldn't rev past rev 4,000. (Rev limiter set on ECU)

Change ECU to proper rev limit - Too loud

Change headers - Still too loud, intake is damn noisy. Only changed 1db from previous test.

Went somewhere else (Will not be named) - Rev'd at the default 4,000 rpm.

Conclusion - Change everything back to be safe, you don't want to go back multiple times.

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
    Aas the DC5R is not listed on the testing list, they may revert to the 'default' 4000rpm test if they don't have prior knowledge on what it should be tested at.
    Exactly what ended up happening. Keep in mind though with the limited amount of places that can test your car, they may have seen more DC5R's over the years so I wouldn't put my money on this happening just to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by jboi View Post
      try adjusting your rev limiter to 3k rpm so they can't rev past 3k on stand still
      They'll just reject you and ask you to come back when you fix it. Mine actually had to be raised above stock just because the guy didn't believe me that DC5R's only rev to 5,500rpm stock.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
        what makes you think that this will pass at the noise test?

is this what you did?

oh wait, why not just tell us if you know whether removable silencers are legal or not?
        There is no need to speak like that when he was just stating an opinion.
        Whilst the opinion was wrong, there still wasn't a need for you to go on like that but anyway...

@Flippit: Silencer can not be a temporary fix as Tinkerbell has shown with the above information BUT what he did not mention is that a silencer can be used but MUST be welded into the exhaust, at least that's what my EPA tester told me when I got done on my daily 2 years ago. Hope this helps bud

Comment

[QUOTE=MYDC5R;236192]There is no need to speak like that when he was just stating an opinion.
          Whilst the opinion was wrong, there still wasn't a need for you to go on like that but anyway...

My thoughts exactly!

Comment

i just put a stock type s exhaust on my car as the bc spec 3 is way to loud for a daily. But now its so damn quiet. Im still running toda headers 200cel high flow cat and gruppe m. I reckon you could probably get away with just exhaust
            sigpic

Comment

is this what you did?

oh wait, why not just tell us if you know whether removable silencers are legal or not?
              WOW...calm down cranky pants

Just an option/opinion not claiming it would work or if its legal or not.
              S2000
              WSID : TBA
              Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
              Smooth As Detailing
              Incar Racing

Comment

is this what you did?

I don't think that was necessary.... Mind your manners dude

Kseries Addict All work performed by dRHonda @ HondAYard

Comment

Originally posted by John_K20A View Post
                  I don't think that was necessary.... Mind your manners dude
                  Maybe not, there are so many posts in this thread from people that have no idea what they are talking about. When someone wants a direct answer and you have no idea and just post because you find the tapping noise of your keyboard in operation to be therapeutic it just confuses the issue.

For example the option that Flippit suggested is not an option, as it isn't legal and an EPA tester in Victoria will look at a removable silencer and say 'No' straight away.

Everything but the two posts below could be deleted, Matt and Mugsee have been there and done it. Most of the other posts are not applicable to Victoria, or are just wrong.

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
                  As above I spoke to Huy and explained my big pain in the bum EPA I had a few years ago, when I still had my Spec 3. (Which I may want back )

Mods were:

- Toda Headers
                  - BC Spec 3
                  - Injen Intake
                  - K100 / KPRO ECU (minus USB for those playing at home)

Change Stock Catback - Couldn't rev past rev 4,000. (Rev limiter set on ECU)

Change ECU to proper rev limit - Too loud

Change headers - Still too loud, intake is damn noisy. Only changed 1db from previous test.

Went somewhere else (Will not be named) - Rev'd at the default 4,000 rpm.

Conclusion - Change everything back to be safe, you don't want to go back multiple times.

Exactly what ended up happening. Keep in mind though with the limited amount of places that can test your car, they may have seen more DC5R's over the years so I wouldn't put my money on this happening just to be safe.
                  Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                  As a veteran of the Victorian EPA, I would suggest changing your intake and exhaust back to stock. Headers are a bit dicey and would guarantee you pass first time around.

I've been lucky previously where the tester said that with my mugen headers, the car tested about 91-92db but he'd write it down to 90db.

I would also try not to specify which car you're bringing in if possible (without being a dick to the person on the phone); as the DC5R is not listed on the testing list, they may revert to the 'default' 4000rpm test if they don't have prior knowledge on what it should be tested at. Box Hill and Ringwood are well aware of what they should be tested at though...

I have a feeling that these guys sometimes just decide to test the DC5R at the same specs. as the DC2R because thats the closest thing they've got in their manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
                    WOW...calm down cranky pants

Just an option/opinion not claiming it would work or if its legal or not.
                    yeah sorry if my words seemed harsh, i was just astounded at how bad your advice was...

it was fairly obvious that you were just trying to be helpful - i should have just mentioned it was illegal and posted the link...
                    ... retired/

Comment

I just cleared an EPA a few months ago.
                      Went back to stock headers and catback, kept my tune and dropped RPM limit to 4300 RPM.

Cleared easily at 84dB.

Went once, sorted. Easy.

Comment

Originally posted by npcan2 View Post
                        I just cleared an EPA a few months ago.
                        Went back to stock headers and catback, kept my tune and dropped RPM limit to 4300 RPM.

Cleared easily at 84dB.

Went once, sorted. Easy.
                        May i ask where you got the test done?

i was just thinking of borrowing my mates custom made pee shooter so just changing the catback.

Comment

DAALDER EXHAUSTS
                          1 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong 03 9791 8455

They probably assumed no car will ever rev past 4300 RPM. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X