Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearing EPA (Environment Protection Authority)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearing EPA (Environment Protection Authority)

Hey guys,

Woke up and found a unpleasant letter on my desk from EPA lucky its just a exhaust check and not emissions having to be anything below 90db

current setup is

GruppeM
    Kiddracing headers with 100 cell cat (think the cat is broken)
    2.5 bpip no resonator
    spoon axle back

I know i have to change my catback but do i also need to change headers, intake and ecu back to stock?

Thanks,

AFAIK, you just need to get below 90, so whatever gets you there is what you need to do...

I doubt the ECU will make a difference?
    ... retired/

Comment

God damn bpipe with no resonater. that would be crazy loud. Im running the spec 3 with toda headers and thats loud. couldnt imagine how loud yours wiuld be. Back on topic you might get away without changing your headers. Airbox is easy to put back in yourself. and as tinkerbell said ecu wont affect the noise too much.
      sigpic

Comment

I'd change your intake back, from what others have told me a stock DC5R only just scrapes through by the skin of it's teeth. Header should be okay.

Comment

just put back your stock full exhaust - pass the test then put it back again
          CLEMENTE

Comment

Originally posted by FRDK20 View Post
            Hey guys,

Woke up and found a unpleasant letter on my desk from EPA lucky its just a exhaust check and not emissions having to be anything below 90db

current setup is

GruppeM
            Kiddracing headers with 100 cell cat (think the cat is broken)
            2.5 bpip no resonator
            spoon axle back

I know i have to change my catback but do i also need to change headers, intake and ecu back to stock?

Thanks,
            So wait. u were never pulled over or what ever. You just got a letter in the mail??

Also isnt the test perfrom 1.5m from the exhaust tip. Wouldnt worry about the intake. I put back on the hole stock system including headers and cat. id even go a stock model not the R. the muffler would be better!
            sigpic
            128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              So wait. u were never pulled over or what ever. You just got a letter in the mail??
              he is in Victoria;

http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/en/your-en...and-tram-noise

but applies in NSW too Karl;

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/no...isyexhaust.htm
              ... retired/

Comment

wait so some fker reported you?

wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

Also isnt the test perfrom 1.5m from the exhaust tip. Wouldnt worry about the intake. I put back on the hole stock system including headers and cat. id even go a stock model not the R. the muffler would be better!
                  The gruppe m makes the car quite a bit louder than stock. And to change it over only takes about 5 mins. rather be safe then sorry i say. And i dont think the base model dc5 exhaust would fit? I could be wrong.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah pretty much got a letter in the mail with location and time saying a police officer reported it.

Spoke to Matt about since he got EPA and he said changing back to stock headers makes 1db lesser. I'm just gonna be safe and return everything back to stock I guess don't want to waste time and money.

Yeah the catback is quite loud, most of the melbourne boys have heard it and can back me up on that ahahaha

Comment

As a veteran of the Victorian EPA, I would suggest changing your intake and exhaust back to stock. Headers are a bit dicey and would guarantee you pass first time around.

I've been lucky previously where the tester said that with my mugen headers, the car tested about 91-92db but he'd write it down to 90db.

I would also try not to specify which car you're bringing in if possible (without being a dick to the person on the phone); as the DC5R is not listed on the testing list, they may revert to the 'default' 4000rpm test if they don't have prior knowledge on what it should be tested at. Box Hill and Ringwood are well aware of what they should be tested at though...

I have a feeling that these guys sometimes just decide to test the DC5R at the same specs. as the DC2R because thats the closest thing they've got in their manual.
                      Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

just go to an exhaust shop and get them to make a silencer for your exhaust which is removable.
                        S2000
                        WSID : TBA
                        Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
                        Smooth As Detailing
                        Incar Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
                          just go to an exhaust shop and get them to make a silencer for your exhaust which is removable.
                          what makes you think that this will pass at the noise test?

is this what you did?

oh wait, why not just tell us if you know whether removable silencers are legal or not?
                          ... retired/

Comment

i'll save you the time:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/v...03563/s23.html

Environment Protection (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations 2003 - SECT 23
                            Penalty for using a motor vehicle fitted with a temporary defeat device.

23. Penalty for using a motor vehicle fitted with a temporary defeat device.

A person must not own or use a motor vehicle whilst any temporary defeat
                            device, inlet port restrictor, exhaust port restrictor, or temporary noise
                            reduction device is fitted to the vehicle. Penalty: 20 penalty units.
                            ... retired/

Comment

try adjusting your rev limiter to 3k rpm so they can't rev past 3k on stand still

Comment

Working...
                              X