Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5 bonnet not closing properly

Hi guys,

Have this small issue with my car, I can see the bonnet doesn't sit flush with the fenders, its probably sticking up like 3mm.

What i think may have caused this:

I was driving in the back streets one day and didn't notice a speed bump and went straight over it at about 50km/h roughly and the car jolted quite roughly. The next day i noticed that the bonnet doesn't sit flush. I replaced the bonnet latch as i think the jolt damaged the previous one and it sits abit better but still out by 3mm.

Anyone know what the issue may be? Something might be slightly out?
    Taking it too a body shop maybe this weekend to see what's wrong with it.

Thanks guys!
    Have a read of my build thread

mhmm weird bro.. in my old dc5 i went over a hump much faster than that..bout 80ks (i didnt see it lack of council lighting :@) but nothing at all happend to my car except for sparks coming out from my tow hook. if u end up taking it to a body shop just ask a couple before they tell u some b.s story and rip you off.

Comment

Too much vtecing haha
      BNR34 Build [SOLD]
      APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
      Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
      NSEX

Comment

Originally posted by amee-reb View Post
        mhmm weird bro.. in my old dc5 i went over a hump much faster than that..bout 80ks (i didnt see it lack of council lighting :@) but nothing at all happend to my car except for sparks coming out from my tow hook. if u end up taking it to a body shop just ask a couple before they tell u some b.s story and rip you off.
        Wow that's a lot faster than I was going! Yeh I didn't see t cause it blended in with the road. It was quite a steep bump aswell though. Yeh I'll ask a few man, cheers

Comment

The speed bump must have pushed your front radiator support bar up a few mms it's a vertical bar that runs in the middle of your car and that's connected to your bonnet latch mechanism.

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
            The speed bump must have pushed your front radiator support bar up a few mms it's a vertical bar that runs in the middle of your car and that's connected to your bonnet latch mechanism.

Norm
            Thats what i was thinking. Check the alignment of the front..

Also have you tryed lowering the rubber grommets. inbetween the radiator support bar and the bonnet!
            sigpic
            128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Thats what i was thinking. Check the alignment of the front..

Also have you tryed lowering the rubber grommets. inbetween the radiator support bar and the bonnet!
              Yes, i have tried adjusting the rubber grommets and no luck going to take to body shop today or tomorrow to see what the problem is

Comment

Sound like somthings bent!
                sigpic
                128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by itr5093 View Post
                  Yes, i have tried adjusting the rubber grommets and no luck going to take to body shop today or tomorrow to see what the problem is
                  Just take a look underneath and see if the support bar is all bent. If it is, it's no big deal to take it out and try bend it back. It's pretty flimsy. You can probably bend it back with your hands.

Comment

But the question is. How did it bend. Unless its really low and the front smacked the speed bump.
                    sigpic

Comment

I know it's not the time for a joke but, should have been fine in 4WD status :P did you check it yet?
                      BNR34 Build [SOLD]
                      APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
                      Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
                      NSEX

Comment

Originally posted by wongy View Post
                        I know it's not the time for a joke but, should have been fine in 4WD status :P did you check it yet?
                        4wd spec didnt work this time Going tomorrow, had uni then work straight after wards

Comment

Finally fixed this!

Bought a bonnet latch from Phillip and installed that as my previous one was damaged due to the jolt and adjusted that and it still didn't fix it took it to a panel beater and he told me my radiator support was bent (as norm mentioned) today my uncle came over and fixed it by applying pressure and pushing down in the radiator support which fixed it DIY panel beating

Comment

Good to hear its all fixed mate!

Comment

Working...
                            X