2nd gear not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd gear not engaging

hey guys, have the k20z1 (type s) gearbox here.

I noticed when I track my car or go for a spirited drive, if I downshift and select 2nd gear at high revs, the gearbox doesnt like it and rejects it into neutral.

I changed my gearbox fluid with Honda MTF last weekend and took it for a drive. same thing happened. Does anyone know the reason for 2nd gear not engaging, I am going to rebuild my gearbox next year with a new CMC, bearings, seals and new 6th gear. Since its open maybe good time to overhaul 2nd gear?
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

How high a rpm are we talking coz ifs its past 8.5 thou rpm it shouldnt even let u select it

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I can only select 1st if i rev match. 2nd never had a problem below 90km/h

Either u going to fast or you syncs screwed!
      sigpic
      128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Ratio between 2nd and 3rd is a large gap. At high rpm the synchros have to speed the input shaft up alot o match wheel speed in 2nd. If your not double clutching it will feel like its locking you out. It just takes time.

Comment

^^ lol k series bit diff from b trans.

Alex refers to the infamous k series pop out. I used to have second pop on me on downshift a while ago but it seems to have corrected itself. Shouldn't be syncro as I subsequently had my clutch changed and the mech said they looks great.

Comment

^^^^^ i get same thing from 3rd gear both downshiftin n upshifting .took it to a good friend mechanic . Nd i was down over half a litre of box oil

Comment

Since filled it up ..never again problem

Comment

Lol never happened to me. Few times I thought I put it in 2nd only to free rev. But it's never popped out on me.

Comment

Might be a shifter cable thing Alex? I know your tranny fluid is sweet, funny I actually had third pop yesterday first time in over a year -_-

Comment

Haha I have the same problem! car kept popping out of 2nd on fish hook/turn 10

Comment

For a K series tranny that jumps out of gear esp 2nd gear I would firstly check for any interference/fouling with objects that shouldn't be there in the CHANGE LEVER ASSEMBLY area.

Often with Intake mods where brackets, relocating wiring and/or additional wiring for other aftermarket electrical acc gets caught up in that crucial area easily.

Pic of the change lever assembly, taken while we refreshed a dc5 gearbox.

If nothing is in the way check to make sure the shift cables are attached securely and none of the attachment points are loose or worn.

Grab the weight by hand as per pic above and go thru the gears, and try the problematic gear a few times. It will become pretty apparent which gear is which in this setup with easy shift action by hand and reverse is is confirmed by the thund noise from the reverse gear dropping into place.

Say you have problem in 2nd, slot into second in the car and then check at the change assembly to see if it is actually as far as it would go.

If it has a bit more to go by hand at the tranny end there is something wrong at the linkage end.

If there isnt any more travel to go by hand then suspect something internal ie synchro sleeve slot gap too big, shift fork fingers worn etc.
                      Last edited by EG30; 03-07-12, 02:14 PM.
                      Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Just noticed that 2nd gear pops out easier than normal when shifting closer to redline. Doesn't pop out itself but I lighter than usual pressure will take it out of 2nd

Comment

strutking shifter and cable bushings solved this for me
                          Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
                          Flickr
                          my car blog - Have a read
                          my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

Working...
                          X