Aftermarket aluminium radiator and general engine reliability advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
    depends on what is inside the rows... but greddy seems to have similar fins to earls

more rows = better cooling generally, but increased friction, so less flow...

i.e. a compromise, but for track you need a fair bit of cooling, so 19 rows is not overkill...
    After fitting a sump and 19 row cooler, need i be worried about oil pressure?
    eckoflyte

Comment

Originally posted by andrew84tran View Post
      After fitting a sump and 19 row cooler, need i be worried about oil pressure?
      yes, you should fit a gauge with an alarm, or just a alarm to let you know if you have low oil pressure... (low being below 40psi or so...)

but i don't think a proper cooler core (e.g. Earls) and proper fittings (e.g. Earls) will be too detrimental to oil pressure...

i think the cheapo ebay ones are much worse...
      ... retired/

Comment

Get a oil temp gauge to monitor oil temp on track. How many laps are you doing?

If you stock radiator isnt leaking, then i wouldnt go changing it. If your cooling system is in good order then your coolant shouldnt be going over 92 degrees on track.
        BYP Racing & Developments
        Built. Tuned. Driven
        Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
          Get a oil temp gauge to monitor oil temp on track. How many laps are you doing?

If you stock radiator isnt leaking, then i wouldnt go changing it. If your cooling system is in good order then your coolant shouldnt be going over 92 degrees on track.
          Usually about 10 laps a session. With the advice given I've already made the decision to go cooler and leave the radiator alone.
          eckoflyte

Comment

10laps hard out laps ? or are you doing 3 laps then cool down then another 3 laps?

Yeap definately get a oil cooler before any other cooling mods.
            BYP Racing & Developments
            Built. Tuned. Driven
            Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

usually about 4 hard laps then cool down. thats not out of choice though, usually get caught up in the crowd so forced to distance myself. so i think with my driving style, an oil cooler is a must have preventative measure
              eckoflyte

Comment

Just trying to do a bit of research, found that the k20a2 comes with some sort of stock water pump/oil cooling system. Does this affect the installation of an aftermarket cooler in any way? i.e. Straight bolton or does the stock system need to be removed?
                eckoflyte

Comment

nah leave it in - it is a warming/cooling system, it is good to get oil upto temp quickly, and tries to prevent it from going too high...

been used since early B series, and does not affect a proper separate air core cooler...
                  ... retired/

Comment

I agree with tinkerbell on all counts. Keep the stock water to oil heat exchanger, use good quality fittings and core, and keep the lines as short as possible.

By the way have you ordered anything yet? Did you decide to pick up an oil temperature gauge as well? If you do both the gauge and the cooler be sure to report back on what sort of temperature reductions you see.

Comment

I haven't ordered anything yet. But I've sourced an earls 19 row cooler kit, ealrs sandwih plate with braided -10an hoses and angled pro flow fittings customised for k series mounting. No rush because I plan on fitting baffled sump at the same time during my next oil change.

I will only fit a pressure gauge for now to ensure the system is operating properly. Im fiddly and would prefer not to have a bunch of gauges distract me.
                      eckoflyte

Comment

you're not fitting an oil temp gauge?

did i read that right?
                        ... retired/

Comment

is it absolutely neccesary? wouldnt it be more pressing to install a pressure gauge first to ensure its flowing properly?
                          eckoflyte

Comment

it is just unusual for it to be omitted, particularity when installing an aftermarket oil cooler...

that's all...
                            ... retired/

Comment

Haha fair enough. I do plan to but it's not important right now, in terms of money and time contstraints. I just need a reliable car on the track for time being. Will update with further progress.
                              eckoflyte

Comment

im not an expert on this but i heard koyorads are pretty good radiators if you are looking to change to an aftermarket one. usually going for 500-600 brand new

Comment

Working...
                                X