Aftermarket aluminium radiator and general engine reliability advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket aluminium radiator and general engine reliability advice

I've had my dc5 for about 5 years now but I've only really started to track the thing early 2011. Car is seeing trackdays more often now and looking to improve engine reliability and would appreciate advice on aftermarket cooling as a start.

I am not looking at spending crazy amounts of money, I just want to keep the mods simple so I can reliably continue tracking the car and just have fun with it. Not chasing power either.

The car is completely stock in terms of power but I am using r compound tyres. Aside from fitting a baffled sump which I plan to do on my next oil change, I am currently looking at replacing the stock radiator with a lighter, more efficient aluminium one. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this? Is it straight bolton?

Or would I be better suited to installing an oil cooler first? Educate me please.
    Last edited by andrew84tran; 08-03-12, 09:18 PM.
    eckoflyte

I was going to upgrade to an aluminium radiator and after back and fourth speaking to Yonas from JDM Yard. He has advised me to go Oil Cooler first as my temps on the track are around 125 deg C. Initially he said to do radiator first, but after telling him my average temp, he said do the oil cooler first. Because my car still see's the street more then the track Andrew, Im going to go fan switch/thermostat and radiator first, and comming into the summer months, I'll invest in an oil cooler then.
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Originally posted by andrew84tran View Post

Or would I be better suited to installing an oil cooler first? Educate me please.
      yes, oil temperature regulation needs to be looked after more than coolant in the first instance...
      ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
        I was going to upgrade to an aluminium radiator and after back and fourth speaking to Yonas from JDM Yard. He has advised me to go Oil Cooler first as my temps on the track are around 125 deg C. Initially he said to do radiator first, but after telling him my average temp, he said do the oil cooler first. Because my car still see's the street more then the track Andrew, Im going to go fan switch/thermostat and radiator first, and comming into the summer months, I'll invest in an oil cooler then.
        From what ive read and was told from tinker bell these are bad??
        sigpic
        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          From what ive read and was told from tinker bell these are bad??
          yep, true story...
          ... retired/

Comment

I am currently looking at replacing the stock radiator with a lighter, more efficient aluminium one.
            not sure if you'll find a same sized yet lighter radiator than the plastic Honda one?
            ... retired/

Comment

i have bwr radiators new all makes and models

hit me up

www.jdmaccessories.com.au
              JDMaccessories.com.au FOR ALL YOUR JDM/USDM NEEDS

Comment

Originally posted by MR.K24A View Post
                i have bwr radiators new all makes and models

hit me up

www.jdmaccessories.com.au
                do you have a link to the products?

dumping the generic JDMA link in a technical thread is not very useful or helpfull...

you could actually also have a go a providing a response to the OP?
                ... retired/

Comment

my list will be up soon in the jdmaccessories page in vendors/sponsers

Comment

Originally posted by MR.K24A View Post
                    my list will be up soon in the jdmaccessories page in vendors/sponsers
                    did you miss my second question?
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                      yes, oil temperature regulation needs to be looked after more than coolant in the first instance...
                      Thanks tinks. been doing a bit of googling and i think this is the correct route to take. browsed some other threads and saw u recommend the earls.

is it a fairly custom install? Would it be advised i go to a workshop for this?
                      eckoflyte

Comment

i agree with plaything

i changed oil cooler first in mine and drop my temps in my oil
                        before i started to worry about changing radiator
                        then ended up changing it for a bwr halfsize with aftermarket fan

Comment

Thanks tinks. been doing a bit of googling and i think this is the correct route to take. browsed some other threads and saw u recommend the earls.

is it a fairly custom install? Would it be advised i go to a workshop for this?
                          yep, it is "advanced DIY", or workshop only... (if you install it wrong, you can destroy your engine!)

Earls is good quality, but they don't make a 'kit'...

GReddy is similar quality and they do make a kit:

http://greddy-usa.blogspot.com.au/20...s-kit-101.html
                          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                            yep, it is "advanced DIY", or workshop only... (if you install it wrong, you can destroy your engine!)

Earls is good quality, but they don't make a 'kit'...

GReddy is similar quality and they do make a kit:

http://greddy-usa.blogspot.com.au/20...s-kit-101.html
                            I'm able to source a DIY kit for K-series and they are decently priced compared to greddy so I'll go with earls. However it is 19-row and greddy RSX kit is 10-row. What are advantages and disadvantages of having extra rows?
                            eckoflyte

Comment

depends on what is inside the rows... but greddy seems to have similar fins to earls

more rows = better cooling generally, but increased friction, so less flow...

i.e. a compromise, but for track you need a fair bit of cooling, so 19 rows is not overkill...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X