No announcement yet.

Baffled Sump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mugen Sump does not come with installation instructions.

Just a modified sump in a box.

But as long as you are running a car with full oil level there is no way for the mugen sump to starve itself. Think about it

A baffled sump is cheap insurance for a $10,000 engine. Even for road use.
    /Oo ___H___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

I heard the spoon and mugen sump is similar?any one has pics to compare, I might just ran with my stock one and see how it goes, been hearing so many people saying they have them and some dont and still runs fine
      ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

Yeah, I believe you don't *need* a baffled sump, if your oil level is kept high.

Its just that after seeing other people's cars at trackdays, I know when the ITR engine overheats, it can suddenly burn a surprising amount of oil. If you don't keep checking and topping it up, or you make a mistake in reading the level when you check it... this is why we say its cheap insurance?

Comment

got yaa
          ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

Spoon sump is a pretty shitty piece.

If your going to get a baffled sump. either get the baffle plate and rivet it in (do not weld it). Or get the mugen sump which is the best quality piece out there.
            /Oo ___H___ oO\
            |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

why shouldn't we weld it in john? mine is

Comment

I heard from a source a while ago that the pan is a cold forged piece. The way it is pressed into place utilises a special machine to bend a piece of metal so the thickness throughout the pan remains the same. Because of this process it is very hard to weld to it properly. Most welds will break over time. There is apparently a special way to weld to the pan, forget what it was called.

I read about it on HT from a company selling baffled sumps made entirely of aluminium

Blitz I think ur confused mate, there is a tube that comes down and sucks oil out of the bottom of the pan, so not sure what ur reference to the block girdle is for ?
                /Oo ___H___ oO\
                |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Originally posted by kavehman View Post
                  Spoon sump is a pretty shitty piece.

If your going to get a baffled sump. either get the baffle plate and rivet it in (do not weld it). Or get the mugen sump which is the best quality piece out there.

Just curious... why are spoon sumps a shitty piece?

Originally posted by ChargeR
                  Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

The baffle looks worse than the custom ones you can buy for $15 and rivet in urself. The one i saw had the ugliest welds as well.

They also don't paint the completed pan.

Compare it to the Mugen pan and they are two worlds apart
                    /Oo ___H___ oO\
                    |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCoastDC5R View Post
                      I find it funny that everyone here says you need a baffled sump for track use with semi slicks.
                      i think everyone here is referring to DC2's

these do not share any characteristics with the K20A design...

and Tony, it is important that you clarified that if you use a light weight oil for track use - it MUST be of very high quality...
                      ... retired/

Comment

I read about it on HT from a company selling baffled sumps made entirely of aluminium
                        yes, a fairly small company by the name of Moroso
                        ... retired/

Comment

nope it wasn't moroso, was another smaller manufacturer. I can't remember the name of them though, there design was very similar to moroso though.

I have heard that moros pans are made for certain applications though as in one pan may be better for drag than track.
                          /Oo ___H___ oO\
                          |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

just for your information fellas, im switching my sump baffles to a dry sump setup, not sure that u guys need it, but im still getting oil surge problems

Comment

what is the theory behind oil surge? why does it happen? and what is it?

sorry OT.. or maybe not?

Comment

nope it wasn't moroso, was another smaller manufacturer. I can't remember the name of them though, there design was very similar to moroso though.

I have heard that moros pans are made for certain applications though as in one pan may be better for drag than track.

Canton Racing perhaps? or Z10engineering
                                JDMyard.com *brand new shop coming soon*

email us info@jdmyard.com , i do not check pm

Comment

Working...
                                X