Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baffled Sump

HEy guys,

Need some advice to what extend do i need a baffel sump, preparing my car for wakefield, I'm currently running stock street tyres as well.

Thanks
    Perry
    ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

I have one that I plan on selling if you want it.

Its a home made baffled sump using a generic baffle plate with no lip.

Plate is riveted on, no holes in the sump.

Let me know if u want it
    /Oo ___H___ oO\
    |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Any sussy mods? I don't think that you need a baffle if your running street tires. Just make sure that your oil is at good levels during the day.

Comment

anyone tracking their car, regardless of tyres, should consider a baffled sump...

i would recommend one without question, but my experience is highly biased
        ... retired/

Comment

doesnt the stock type r motor have a plate in the block or something that acts like a sump plate?
          Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #004

Comment

yes - for acceleration and deceleration only afaik ~ nothing on the sides for hard cornering

Comment

However, Im sure the OEM ITR one will assist side to side too as it blocks the oil from going all the way up to the girdle and beyond.

might not work as well as the weld in plate though, but still should do a decent job...

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                anyone tracking their car, regardless of tyres, should consider a baffled sump...

i would recommend one without question, but my experience is highly biased
                i would like to second this.

It depends on how comfortable you are going hard on the track without one.

On my first track day i was blowing smoke around one of the corners when i tried doing it in 2nd. after switching to 3rd it was ok.. (oil level was ok)

after that experience i paid the 450 and got a baffled sump and now i dont need to worry. i can rest assured that my engine will probably not shit itself on the track. Its great piece of mind as its my daily driver.

everyone has to make up their own mind

Comment

For $30 for a no name copy baffle its cheap insurance against a spun bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                    i would like to second this.

It depends on how comfortable you are going hard on the track without one.

On my first track day i was blowing smoke around one of the corners when i tried doing it in 2nd. after switching to 3rd it was ok.. (oil level was ok)

after that experience i paid the 450 and got a baffled sump and now i dont need to worry. i can rest assured that my engine will probably not shit itself on the track. Its great piece of mind as its my daily driver.

everyone has to make up their own mind
                    Not doubting the experience... but how does that associate with blowing smoke?

Comment

your right, probably nothing.. (i am not sure if overheating components due to slight oil starvation can flex and make your engine produce smoke)

but you might not be comfortable going hard without a baffle..

my car never blows smoke on the road. so the experience was a bit of a worry.. for my piece of mind i got the baffled sump put in.

Comment

I also installed one for peace of mind after I switched to semislicks on the track.

Its a small price compared to a blown engine, and also means you have a spare sump around in case you damage it over a pot hole. Or you can sell your old sump to save money.

Comment

can someone please amend the title of the thread?
                          Baffled Sump would be ideal hehehe
                          ClubITR | Like

Comment

I find it funny that everyone here says you need a baffled sump for track use with semi slicks.

My car has done approx 20 track days running Advan A048's and i have never had an issue, as mentioned in another thread i run half a litre of extra oil when the motor is warm and have never had an issue.

If you keep a decent amount of oil in ur car you shouldn't have any issues. Also use a lightweight oil rather than heavier, and definitely use a good quality oil, cheap oil degrades very fast and is likely to cause a spun bearing also. (redline 5w-30 is the only oil i would recommend)

I am going to slicks next year so i will invest in a baffled sump before then.
                            NA is BEST

59.4 QR Spint - Qld's Quickest DC5R

Comment

I got a feeling that having the facotry plate (under the girdle) and a welded in sump plate would be bad..

just my thoughts though as i could be completely wrong...

the facotry plate will make the oil come on the side and not in the centre.. and you weld in plate is blocked on the side...

Does anyone have mugen sump installation instructions.?

And could someone justify running both plates could be an advantage ?

and sorry for the k20 people.. i got no idea what you engine looks like ahah

*nb. i do believe the weld in sumps are better... but i dont think running both plates is a good idea...

this is a pic of the ITR sump and OEM ITR plate..
                              Last edited by BlitZ; 01-12-06, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X