Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WARNING! Before buying a Hondata KPRO, read this thread first!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARNING! Before buying a Hondata KPRO, read this thread first!

Hey all,

Just want to give everyone a heads up that there are counterfeit Hondata K-PRO ecu / chips floating around the world. Even on this very forum, where I got mine from.

Hondata recently added a counterfeit page on their website as I discovered I had one of the first counterfeit K-Pro's.
    Basically, the counterfeit Kpro's have these symptoms:
    • Failure to upload or datalog.
    • Speed sensor problems.
    • Random rev limits.
    • Failure to start
    • Corruption of ECU table data.

If you experience any of these symptoms, to confirm that you have a counterfeit kpro. Open up your ECU and have a look at the kpro chip. Here is a comparison between the counterfeit kpro and genuine kpro.

Three signs of a counterfeit Kpro:
    1. The number 3 on the counterfeit has a straight top, the genuine is curved.
    2. The sides of the counterfeit may rough tabs, the genuine is always smooth.
    3. The counterfeit bar codes are low quality. The genuine bar codes are sharp.

Most of this information is from the Hondata website, although it can be fairly hard to come across the page. So I decided it would be a good idea to let everyone know that there are counterfeits going around. It is best to purchase the KPRO from an official Hondata reseller. Or buy it locally second hand, have a look at the detail of the KPRO chip before you hand over the cash. If you're going to purchase a KPRO online, get them to send you a high quality photo of the inside of the ECU so you can confirm that it is indeed genuine. And it would be a good idea to make the payment through paypal just incase the photo he supplies isn't the one you'll be receiving.

Matt

Good post, thanks for the heads up.. Who did you get your Kpro from here?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinfox
    You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
      Good post, thanks for the heads up.. Who did you get your Kpro from here?
      I'd rather not defame the seller. He bought the KPRO off another seller under the assumption that he would receive a genuine one.

No one had ever heard of a fake or counterfeit KPRO up until recently.

Comment

People will counterfeit just about anything that is worth money.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by justinfox
        You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Nice spotting Matt. Are there any issues with the counterfit ones people should be aware of? Ie don't work, tune not right, blow up car.

Comment

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
            Nice spotting Matt. Are there any issues with the counterfit ones people should be aware of? Ie don't work, tune not right, blow up car.
            I haven't heard of anyone blowing their engines but then again, it has only been discovered that there are counterfeits.

The problem I had with mine was, the car wouldn't start when loading a map with kmanager 3.0.3. It would crank, but die instantly. But if I used kmanager 1.5.1 I could get the car running, although it would have random rev limits.

Comment

Wow this is not cool. Thanks for sharing!
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

phewww...mine is genuine, thx for posting

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
                  I'd rather not defame the seller.

you should at least advise the owners of this website regarding the seller...
                  ... retired/

Comment

Good info...
                    You're right, it is hard to find...
                    http://www.hondata.com/kpro_counterfeit.html
                    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
                    TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
                    Official Australian Distributors
                    Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone blowing their engines but then again, it has only been discovered that there are counterfeits.

The problem I had with mine was, the car wouldn't start when loading a map with kmanager 3.0.3. It would crank, but die instantly. But if I used kmanager 1.5.1 I could get the car running, although it would have random rev limits.
                      Would there be any other reason for random rev limits other than a fake k-pro?The reason i ask is because my friend had his car k-pro'd and tuned within' the last 2 months and it randomly hits the rev limiter at 7k rpm (should be 8700 rpm) sometimes. No cel or anything. weird as fook.
                      k20A DC2R

Comment

Originally posted by k20eg View Post
                        Would there be any other reason for random rev limits other than a fake k-pro?The reason i ask is because my friend had his car k-pro'd and tuned within' the last 2 months and it randomly hits the rev limiter at 7k rpm (should be 8700 rpm) sometimes. No cel or anything. weird as fook.
                        The tuner might have turned lean protection on and your friend could be hitting lean cut, it will feel different to the main rev limit though. The CEL would flash for an instant in this case but this would be hard to catch unless you happen to be staring at it when it cuts. Did the tuner lock the calibration so you can't download it to a computer? If you can't do that then I'd do some logging and try to replicate the problem.

Comment

This wouldn't happen to be the same Kpro you sold me would it?

EDIT: The above quote was not in reference to the Kpro that Lemmiwinks sold to me. It is however, still a counterfeit, and lemmiwinks is doing his best to resolve the problem.

UPDATE: The seller unknowingly sold the counterfeit Kpro to me. He was not under the impression that it was counterfeit and as a good valued clubITR member, he is doing the right thing to rectify the problem. Thus far I'm happy with this users reaction to the problem and his response and actions about this problem only concrete the fact that he is a valued CITR member.
                          Last edited by Peachy; 15-11-11, 08:00 PM.

Comment

fark! open it up peachy

that explains a lot of ur issues..

Comment

doing it right now my friend, literally

Comment

Working...
                              X