No announcement yet.

Oil filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a weather gauge that tells you the outside temperature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinfox
    You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

good ol Ryco Z79A does the job for me :P i never track my car so i dont see the point of going fully hectic on a oil filter unless it cops curry alot

Comment

A weather gauge.. Yer sweet.. Thanks.. So any ways some real help please??
        sigpic
        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
          Regarding your and tinker's posts, I have always wondered how a smaller filter gives more oil pressure? A larger filter media as in the old B series filters and the PCX filter that is still made for the S2000 should, all else being equal, give a lower pressure drop over the filter media. I'm sure either is fine, and I have always used the smaller filter, but I am just curious.
          my empirical analysis corroborates Mr Spoon's observations...
          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
            my empirical analysis corroborates Mr Spoon's observations...
            Interesting. I wonder why that is, is this comparing Honda made filters or the B series and K series application of the K and N filters you use?

Comment

no - it is comparing Ryco Z79A and Ryco Z547

do you not see how forcing a fluid through a SMALLER thing will make the pressure HIGHER?

why use -8an hoses instead of -12an hoses in an OC set up? because pressure.
              ... retired/

Comment

no - it is comparing Ryco Z79A and Ryco Z547

do you not see how forcing a fluid through a SMALLER thing will make the pressure HIGHER?

why use -8an hoses instead of -12an hoses in an OC set up? because pressure.
                I take it we are both talking about the pressure being measured after the filter?

In general using smaller hoses will create a larger pressure drop across the hose length, netting you less flow and less pressure at the other end than a larger hose. Maybe you should use those -10 lines?

Comment

what about bottom-end bearing clearances effect on oil pressure?

larger clearance = lower or higher oil pressure?

smaller clearance = lower or higher oil pressure?
                  ... retired/

Comment

what about bottom-end bearing clearances effect on oil pressure?

larger clearance = lower or higher oil pressure?

smaller clearance = lower or higher oil pressure?
                    A smaller clearance will result in higher oil pressure, but reduced flow. So are you measuring pressure before or after the filter? If you are measuring it before the filter and fitting the new style smaller filter results in more pressure then this is bad, you are getting more pressure at the expense of flow.

Comment

yeah measured at the head VTEC port - so where is that in the schematic? after?

and how do you measure flow?
                      ... retired/

Comment

From the diagram below, seems you are just before 5 right? The pressure just before the VTEC solenoid? So you are right, if the pressure increased at this point, after the oil filter, then that indicates the oil filter is flowing better and you will probably have more flow to all your important bits. Regarding flow measurement, it isn't the easiest thing to do compared to pressure measurements and I think that is why the oil pressure gauge is so pervasive, even though a flow gauge would be more useful. One is indicative of the other though I guess, as in you can't have flow without a pressure differential.

The picture is from the EF8 manual because CR-Xs are awesome, but should be the same as B18C and I am guessing similar to your motor apart from the external oil feed for the VTECs.

Still don't get why the smaller filters have less pressure drop though, all else being equal flow through a smaller orifice should result in a larger pressure drop and a negative effect on flow rate. Maybe the newer filters have some new fandangled filter media that is better.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                          Still don't get why the smaller filters have less pressure drop though, all else being equal flow through a smaller orifice
                          smaller orifice? whaaaa?

the in/out holes are the same size.

it is the container that is smaller...
                          ... retired/

Comment

smaller orifice? whaaaa?

the in/out holes are the same size.

it is the container that is smaller...
                            Ah sorry I should have said area, by smaller orifice I meant the filter media itself, the paper or whatever, there is a smaller area for the oil to flow through thus one would expect more pressure drop. Unrelated to the inlet and outlet of the filter.

Comment

have you cut them up? how do you know the area of the filter media is different?

or maybe you are thinking about 'area per volume'? because that is certainly the most largest difference between the two - similar filter area, less container volume...

regardless,

the smaller filter does provide "better oil pressure" and also slightly higher oil pressure compared to the z79a... for whatever reason...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X