Any gains of tuning a stock car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any gains of tuning a stock car?

my friend sold his car a few days ago and he's left with a VAFC-II which he said he'll let me use.

Now my car is virtually stock with just an apexi power intake with a modified air box.
    Is there any point paying to get the VAFC installed and dyno tuned?
    would I see any gains at all? or should I just not bother with it.

I've heared mixed things about this with some people claiming it does nothing whilst others said they got better fuel economy and and power out of it.
    Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #010

don't waste your trouble... wait till you get alot more mods or do head-work then tune...
    www.belgarage.com.au

Comment

you will gain from it....imo not worth the money to get it installed/tuned for the gain you get

z10 says:
      i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
      z10 says:
      mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Originally posted by Dny View Post
        Is there any point paying to get the VAFC installed and dyno tuned?
        would I see any gains at all?
        maybe you would, depends on the tuners abilities...

is it a DC2 or DC5?
        ... retired/

Comment

it'll be going into a DC2R if it goes ahead
          and I beleive it'll be in the hands of a good tuner, a few members of this forum take their cars to him and recommended him.
          Last edited by Dny; 22-11-06, 11:01 AM.

Comment

well, what has your tuner said?

he will know best...
            ... retired/

Comment

just had a chat to him today after dropping my car off for a service
              pretty much said the same things as was mentioned here.
              As long as I don't expect impossible gains I'll be happy with it.
              Seeing as its not costing me all that much to get done I don't see why not.

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

VAFC won't give that much gain on dc2r , at least on b series engine from people that I know.

A full ecu replacement will be better, so it's better for you to save up rather than wasting your money.

Comment

I disagree, a full ecu on a stock car wont give much more than a vafc. I saw first hand, vafc netted 5 kw gain after tune on a stock dc2R, a motec m800 netted me 7. Autronic sm2 netted me the same 7.

Comment

Agree....I had VAFCII on mine b4...I was thinkin to get it turned...but my turner told me just take it off....save up and get a proper ECU for it.....the $$ u spend not = to what you gain....use it on sth better bro....
                    Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                    1)ブレーキを踏む
                    2)クラッチを切る
                    3)シフトダウンしなから、
                      アクセルをぶかす
                    4)クラッチをつなぐ
                    :blah:
                    インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                    人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

well in my case there isn't really much point in getting a full ECU coz I don't really plan to do any major mods to the car anytime soon.
                      And becoz this isn't costing me all that much I guess its either this or nothing.
                      A few hundred $$ for the tune doesn't seem like much to me, I'm happy to live with a small realistic gain and also I can't think of any mod out there for a few hundred that's fully reusable and can net similar gains.

As freakie stated above he saw a 5kw gain (I'd be happy to get that much tbh ) which is what people claim the mugen in take gets for $~1k

Comment

few hundred you can get an Injen or AEM CAI,i think that's better for you,btw install vafc cost around 50 dollar and just simply set up the fuel +/- urself.so total add up around 500 dollar can get both things done, erm...maybe you can get like 7-9kw gain

Comment

I can do the install myself

Comment

I think spending $ on tuning the VAFC would be a better investment then a Injen CAI...at least the coppers can't see if when they pop the hood

Comment

but they can see your vafc when they rbt you? which can lead to opening your bonnet?

z10 says:
                              i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                              z10 says:
                              mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Working...
                              X