New tyres soon, choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks tink.

Did you want me to keep discussing on this thread or move to the tyres thread?
    Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
      here are the limits etc regarding importing goods from overseas:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp
      With this tink is the shipping cost included in $1000 or just the actual cost of goods??
      FOR SALE 2005 DC5 TYPE S with 156k km's log books $11.3k

Comment

When Duty and Taxes are Payable

All imported goods are subject to assessment for duty, Goods and Services Tax (GST) and other taxes and charges even if you imported those goods for your own use.

Duty rates are determined by the tariff classification for your goods. The Customs Tariff Act 1995 provides the tariff classifications, duty rates, interpretive rules and information on preference schemes, other concessions and exemptions that may apply to your goods. For more information click on working tariff page.

GST is payable on most goods at a rate of 10%. (See examples below)

Imported goods valued at or below A$1000

Generally, there is no requirement to pay duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST) on imported goods valued at or below A$1000, except for alcohol (refer to Example 2 where Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) is also payable) and/or tobacco products (refer to Example 4).

Imported goods with a value at or below A$1000 that arrive by air or sea cargo will require a self-assessed clearance (SAC) declaration to be lodged with Customs and Border Protection.

There are no Customs and Border Protection charges for making a SAC declaration.

For more information about SAC declarations see the fact sheet Self-assessed Clearance (SAC) Declarations.

Goods with a value at or below A$1000 that arrive by post do not require a SAC declaration.

For more information on goods that arrive in Australia by post click on importing goods by post.

Comment

Shipping is included in the $1000 consideration

Comment

Originally posted by etherealfall View Post
            Shipping is included in the $1000 consideration
            Thanks mate.. Always included shipping when purchased items but never knew if it was or wasn't!
            FOR SALE 2005 DC5 TYPE S with 156k km's log books $11.3k

Comment

that's odd, I've purchased tires with value under $1k but with shipping was around $1.2k and didn't get taxed, always assumed it was because the value of the goods was under $1k...

Comment

At last i know...it's now been reduced to $900.00 not including shipping costs ever.

Got tyres from the Tirerack early this year in Feb. All good.

Comment

Originally posted by lukits01 View Post
                  that's odd, I've purchased tires with value under $1k but with shipping was around $1.2k and didn't get taxed, always assumed it was because the value of the goods was under $1k...
                  Did the supplier give you a separate invoice for shipping or whatever?

I recall when I bought my Tein SuperStreets via Nengun, Fedex sent me an invoice for customs duty and tax and the calculations included the price of shipping and it contributed to the overall amount that was due before the items were released.

Comment

same invoice but it was itemized, clearly showed the value of the tires and shipping.
                    if anything, just means customs is not consistent with their calculations

Comment

lol yeah.. damn! i lucked out haha

Comment

pretty sure shipping costs is not included
                        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
                          Thanks for your input guys

And thanks for the link Berty.

So i take it there is a elite choice of tyre, above the ranks of RE002,

But in what respects are they in a different league? am i wrong in saying the RE11 tread looks like the RE002?

Richy and Charge, what are tirerack.com to deal with? have you shipped a set before?

Louis
                          Yep I would say that if one were to categorise tyres there would be another tier of street tyres above the RE002, composed of those I listed above. They are a superior mostly in outright dry grip, heat tolerance and response, in most other respects, noise, treadwear etc. they will most likely be inferior to the less performance oriented tyres.

I have ordered from Tirerack before multiple times, never had a problem. The shipping cost is not included when determining if you have exceeded the $1000 threshold however if your goods value exceeds that threshold you will be charged GST based on the cost of the goods and the shipping combined.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                            I have ordered from Tirerack before multiple times, never had a problem. The shipping cost is not included when determining if you have exceeded the $1000 threshold however if your goods value exceeds that threshold you will be charged GST based on the cost of the goods and the shipping combined.
                            Sweet man,

I read the whole other "tyres thread" and got a good grip (excuse the pun) of the tires you talked about, and practically answered all the questions i posted in this forum. But while i have your attention...

I also changed my short list to the bold (to cater to my student budget):

Dunlop direzza Z1 star spec 225,205/50 - $125
                            Hankook RS3 225/50 - $102
                            Bridgestone RE-11 205/45 - $177
                            Advan AD08 225/50-$160
                            Kuhmo KU36 215/45 - $108

i was leaning towards the KU36 for the price because it was the only cheap tyre with a profile of 45, but it has been criticized for weak water capabilities.

Did you ever manage to experience the Hankook RS3 hands on?

Louis

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
                              [B]Dunlop direzza Z1 star spec 225,205/50 - $125
                              well, this option is probably better than the Kuhmo and Hancook...

maybe the Hancook and Kuhmo will last longer, but the Z1's are pretty unreal in terms of dealing with hard operation...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by maracer View Post
                                At last i know...it's now been reduced to $900.00 not including shipping costs ever.
                                reduced?

wtf?

pls dont spread rumours...
                                ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                                X