DC2R Brakes (Seeking advice/info)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R Brakes (Seeking advice/info)

My brake pads finally need replacing. Apparently there is a tiny bit left before the wear indicator on the rear and a little more on the fronts.

Car has done 182,800km so i would love to get to 200,000km.. would be a great milestone :P

anyway, the dealer asked for $330 to change the rears and machine the rear discs.. seemed like a lot so i told them not to do it. i can easily change my brake pads myself. Honda pads are $160 for rears, $230 for fronts btw.

I have ferodo DS2500 pads sitting in my garage that i swap in for track days that are probably 10% used.

firstly, do the discs really need to be machined generally? i am not getting any shuddering at the moment. What does it generally cost to get done?

Would i generally expect the disks to last another 200k km with oem pads after they were machined?

How much faster would i wear the disks if i put the ferodos on instead of oems? (I currently very seldom use them so might be nice to use them up)

what do oem disks cost if i do wear them out? compared to aftermarket ones? Is replacing the disks a good mod? Its unsprung weight so maybe lighter ones? slotted?

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
    My brake pads finally need replacing. Apparently there is a tiny bit left before the wear indicator on the rear and a little more on the fronts.

Car has done 182,800km so i would love to get to 200,000km.. would be a great milestone :P

it would!

anyway, the dealer asked for $330 to change the rears and machine the rear discs.. seemed like a lot so i told them not to do it. i can easily change my brake pads myself. Honda pads are $160 for rears, $230 for fronts btw.

wow! pricey!

I have ferodo DS2500 pads sitting in my garage that i swap in for track days that are probably 10% used.

just install them? they are a street pad, not a track pad...

firstly, do the discs really need to be machined generally?

yes, generally they do.

i am not getting any shuddering at the moment. What does it generally cost to get done?

40 per corner? can even be don 'on the car' by soem blokes...

Would i generally expect the disks to last another 200k km with oem pads after they were machined?

no. discs, like clutch, coil, dizzy cap etc are all wear items and only last a certain amount of use...

How much faster would i wear the disks if i put the ferodos on instead of oems? (I currently very seldom use them so might be nice to use them up)

about 5 to 15 % faster? but why care? i go through discs every 50'000km or so...

what do oem disks cost if i do wear them out?

no idea - i would never buy OEM discs ever...

compared to aftermarket ones? Is replacing the disks a good mod?

only if you are a serious circuit racer...

Its unsprung weight so maybe lighter ones? slotted?
    see bold
    ... retired/

Comment

Big thanks tinkerbell!

Comment

DBA 4000 series slotted rotors go for around $400/pr for fronts.

I know some people have issues with buying Australian products for their full-sik JDM cars on this forum, but I believe the DBA products are world class and very good value.

My front rotors on the black DC2R were approaching minimum thickness after 2 sets of pads or about 90-100k km.

DS2500 are a bit dustier and will wear rotors more than OEM pads, but as tinkerbell said, the difference won't hurt. It is a light car which is very easy on brakes so the additional wear shouldn't break the bank.

I hear some Audi / BMW / Mercedes SUV's in city use need new front rotors at 30-40k km!
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Working...
        X