No announcement yet.

Rigid Collars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see Shakeel you have a vanilla spec DC5.

My fren's DC5 also has stock jdm dc5 suspension and will stay that way being his wife's daily and all. The collars prob get installed without her knowledge and we'll wait and see if she could notice the difference on the road. That will be the acid test.
    Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Installed the collars onto my fren's DC5.

Dropping the subframe off the car wasn't necessary to install the collars; in our case the engine and box was out of the car prior to collar installation.

Last edited by EG30; 09-07-12, 09:14 PM.
      Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

^ any review yet?

Here's the parts list for Hondas from the Spoon Site: http://www.rigidcollar.info/fitsearc...onda120628.pdf - via here.
        ClubITR | Like

Comment

I had my spoon rigid collars installed on the DC5 yesterday at Top One. I was really interested in what difference it would make after watching the video from Spoon Sports, and reading a couple mixed reviews. So I thought I'd try them out on my car with stock suspension..

So far what I have noticed after 2 afternoons of long drives home, one from Top One and the other from Tafe..Whilst taking the usual roads home I've noticed the ride quality being a bit more stiff and bumpy. On some roads that were once comfortable and smooth to drive on before, those same roads now feel more bumpy to me now. Not sure if the rigid collars have affected cornering as I never push the car that hard..

Not much of a review, but overall that's what I have felt so far. I don't think it's somewhat of a placebo effect as they are the same roads I drive on almost everyday. Hopefully some of the other guys (Alex) will share their thoughts on it soon
          Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
            I had my spoon rigid collars installed on the DC5 yesterday at Top One. I was really interested in what difference it would make after watching the video from Spoon Sports, and reading a couple mixed reviews. So I thought I'd try them out on my car with stock suspension..

So far what I have noticed after 2 afternoons of long drives home, one from Top One and the other from Tafe..Whilst taking the usual roads home I've noticed the ride quality being a bit more stiff and bumpy. On some roads that were once comfortable and smooth to drive on before, those same roads now feel more bumpy to me now. Not sure if the rigid collars have affected cornering as I never push the car that hard..

Not much of a review, but overall that's what I have felt so far. I don't think it's somewhat of a placebo effect as they are the same roads I drive on almost everyday. Hopefully some of the other guys (Alex) will share their thoughts on it soon
            Are these only for the front? Or front and rear?
            i-Vtec!!

Comment

Originally posted by blueys45 View Post
              Are these only for the front? Or front and rear?
              Front only, there is no bolt-in subframe at the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post

bumpy eh? Technically it should reduce subframe movement, and hence your suspension doing its job properly. What type of suspension you running?

Norm

Comment

these things can't be to hard to machine. If they actually work and we can get a report of them doing so I may be able to get a shop to produce some for people.

Question being, do they actually work? in theory yes!
                  Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                  http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                    bumpy eh? Technically it should reduce subframe movement, and hence your suspension doing its job properly. What type of suspension you running?

Norm
                    Complete stock suspension.
                    Shak's S2000

Comment

I think one thing we need to consider in Shakeels review is that roads in japan are very different to what we have here. Results may vary due to the this making what we see on the product video a little confusing to what Shakeel has mentioned.
                      Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                      http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

Can anyone really feel a difference with these? I heard about them some time back and thought about it, but what it appears to do is help align the subframe, so it's not at a slightly different angle each time you undo the bolts.

So a couple of things came to mind:
                        - how often will I actually undo subframe bolts
                        - the subframe doesn't actually move around so when it's bolted down it stays put. Then a wheel alignment compensates for that "misalignment".

Correct me if I'm wrong please?

Comment

Originally posted by Apu View Post
                          Can anyone really feel a difference with these? I heard about them some time back and thought about it, but what it appears to do is help align the subframe, so it's not at a slightly different angle each time you undo the bolts.

So a couple of things came to mind:
                          - how often will I actually undo subframe bolts
                          the sub- frame doesn't actually move around so when it's bolted down it stays put. Then a wheel alignment compensates for that "misalignment".

Correct me if I'm wrong please?
                          ok,
                          there is a gap between the subframe and the bolts that hold it in place, they aren't a snug fit, hence the fact you can fit a collar in it, the main idea of the collar is to take up the gap, prevent the play, stiffen the whole cockshow and stop the subframe moving around and messing with your alignment
                          02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
                            ok,
                            there is a gap between the subframe and the bolts that hold it in place, they aren't a snug fit, hence the fact you can fit a collar in it, the main idea of the collar is to take up the gap, prevent the play, stiffen the whole cockshow and stop the subframe moving around and messing with your alignment
                            True there is some tolerance in the holes in the subframe, but the clamping force of the bolts is what holds the subframe in place, it isn't located by the bolts. It could still slip, but I am still a little dubious on the functionality of these things.

Has anyone marked their subframe location and then looked at the marks again later? I have, it didn't move.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                              Front only, there is no bolt-in subframe at the rear.
                              Hey check this out for the EF. Rear bits as well.

http://blog.rigidcollar.jp/?eid=829294
                              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                                True there is some tolerance in the holes in the subframe, but the clamping force of the bolts is what holds the subframe in place, it isn't located by the bolts. It could still slip, but I am still a little dubious on the functionality of these things.

Has anyone marked their subframe location and then looked at the marks again later? I have, it didn't move.
                                Well, that's my thinking too. I mean, if it keeps shifting around, that means it hasn't been tightened sufficiently. Plus, you'd be able to see the (not so) nice shiny wear marks!

Comment

Working...
                                X