to repair, OR not to repair ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to repair, OR not to repair ..

guys, i just brought my 06typeS, it's done about 1500km, and last weekend my dad had a go at my car, and he rear ended someone on the way back.

Now this guy had a tow bar, and most of my front end it ruined. (radiator, condenser, bonnet etc.)

And i don't have insurance.

Took it to Spencer Panels, which is supposely one of the best panel shops in melbourne.

They've quoted me $15000. My jaw dropped at that point.
    I didnt think it would be that much, so then i had to contact my manager, him being in the business and knowing the owner of the panel shop i was hoping he could lower the price.

He did, and now it's $13,500

Now i'm deciding whether to repair it or sell it .. I know it wont be worth much. My dad is ok with the money, but it's just up to me now, not sure whether it's wise to repair it =/

what are your thoughts guys?

sell it...get your dad to get you a new one

z10 says:
    i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
    z10 says:
    mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Repair it brother man.

It's really up to you, if you really Love your HONDA you'll keep it.

Comment

wtf... not insured? brand new 50k car... wtf

Comment

Either way, you should sell the car and get a new one. You have to work out which way will get you back the most money.

I don't actually know how bad is the damage, but if the damage doesn't involve chassic bending, then repair it+sell it = seems like the way to go. However, if chassic is bent, you wouldn't get any good selling price even the car's fixed.
          For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

Well if the chassis is bent i cant see you wanting to keep it for too long either.

So id fix + sell

Comment

Well i was still looking for the right insurance for me.

I paid a little over 40k for the car, so if i was to repair it for 13,500 = $53,500.

With that said, i don't think it's wise to fix the car and then sell it.
              So it's either repair it, or sell it as it is. It's not drivable so that isnt an option..

Ok, depending on how much i would get for the car, i might sell it. But i think it's unlikely i'll get anything near 30k considering the damage. So with that said i think i just answered my own question .. I'm now currently leaning towards repairing it.

But keep your opinions coming, Also has anyone heard anything about Spencer Panels before?

Comment

Are those prices with brand new parts or 2nd hand parts ?
                I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

It's funny how you took it to the 'best' smash repairer and you expected them to cost next to nothing

Get the chasis checked out. Might end up worth keeping.
                  IMO it's not bad luck you had an accident without insurance but a bad decision. Expensive lesson I guess.
                  happyhong says:
                  aus only have 3 r
                  happyhong says:
                  civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

lol, i was expecting it to be about 8k tops.

Where/ how do i get the chassis checked?
                    Can i ask the quiestion and trust their answer?

Comment

any pics?

fix it, sell it, get a new one. (go to the same dealer coz u might get a better deal since it will be your 2nd one =p)

Comment

If you decide to sell, I want your wheels!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Comment

part out.

i'll take your passengerside sun visor.... or if your up for a swap. the misses wants a mirror

oh snap... also interested in wheels... and how are those headlights??

Comment

Already got dibs on wheels. Hands off

Comment

lol! all you guys just sound like you want my parts

well, i'm going to sleep on it another night and make a few calls tomorrow and see what happens.
                              Also it didnt occur to me at first until i read your comments. But I think now the deciding factor is whether the chassis is damaged or not.

The only thing that worries me now is whether it will drive the same =(

And headlights has to be swapped as well, the brackets are broken. the lens and everything else is fine though. The headlight is about 800$ each =/
                              Last edited by Yue_Will; 31-10-06, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X