No announcement yet.

Speaker Upgrade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My set up cost about $1.2 inc install which included fronts, HU, Amp + Sub and you need to take into account that my car NEEDS to have a double din fascia which cost $200, so the whole thing was about $1k.

Comment

I'm sorry but Alpine, and pioneer and stuff are shit.

If you want some good crisp speakers, go speak to Metrosound in Artamon about AVI speakers. Once you hear a AVI speaker, you won't even bother looking at any other brand again.

Originally posted by ChargeR
      Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

whats the price on one of those?
        Blaze Orange

Comment

soundmaster in hurstville did my old system.

They were very good. Dealt with a guy called Chris.
          "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

im sorry but alpine aint shit...it might not be as good as the brand u might say but it doesnt make alpine "shit" i had 1000rms goin through each of my type r twelves and they never failed..i have alpine type r all through my car and they are great! im pushin 120rms to each one and they take it all...but if we are talkin high class shit then get some focal...it all depends on ur budget....pioneer once were good but now they have gone cheap......but look around for brands VIBE and option audio....and have a demo of them....high end option audio component speakers even come with 100rms tweaters!

Comment

I'm sorry but Alpine Type R's are shit. I had them, and got rid of them 3 days later, lol. They are better than OEM, but if you actually want something good then spend a little bit more and get AVI, or I think Focals are also good. I'm pretty sure Focals are the good ones.

People that are into sound always said to me, if you can turn your speakers up 'loud', but they don't sound 'loud' inside the car or room, then they are good speakers. Speaker that sound loud are crap. I only understood this when I heard AVI's.
              If you don't believe me go to a proper audio shop, and car install shop. Sit in the room or car, turn it up... you'll be like ummm do they get louder? Then walk outside of the room, or car, and walk away far... you'll hear the speakers and it will still be nearly as crisp and clear as when you were inside the car or room. With Alpines and stuff like that, you walk away and all you hear is muffles and distortion and pretty much crap.

Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

if you wanted to set up a good sound system in your car, your sub would actually have to be where your feet are. you feel the most bass there..
                that's what my sound engineering friend told me..
                he also said the positioning of speakers in a car isn't really that great - i guess that only applies if you want a cinema in there.
                that's my 2 cents anyway
                '08 Odyssey + '10 Mazda CX-7 (fs btw) + '10 Mazda 2
                wife made me sell the FN2R. bleh.

Comment

everything has its limit....if u hear speakers distorting it means there up to loud and the coils is over heating...it all depends on the amp...the voltage output from the head deck...alpine has this new shit out called imprint...i fitted it to a BA falcon with standard speakers and the outcome was insane! what amp were u running the type rs off ? because u need relativly high power to get the most out of them....and btw ive been to a car install shop....it used to be my job..

Comment

I'd recommend Marty from FHRX Studios! I'll be getting him to do my sound system sometime in the near future which is the same setup you're after.

Comment

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
                      Alpine has this new shit out called imprint...i fitted it to a BA falcon with standard speakers and the outcome was insane!
                      imprint is auto-EQ. it delays various components of the spectrum of the music by different amounts depending on where the speakers are in the car its done in and where the microphone is positioned representing the listeners head.
                      Pioneer have it on very select units too. I have not upgraded my base HU in my car because auto-EQ units dont have regular usb drives. its all add-on units. and alpine has add on units to get the bloody imprint Digitial signal processing done.

I want auto-EQ, usb drive (mp3 and wav!) and burr brown dacs

but my left front speaker started crackling at high volumes recently. not sure if a cable is dislodged or if the speaker is busted? What speakers do you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                        imprint is auto-EQ. it delays various components of the spectrum of the music by different amounts depending on where the speakers are in the car its done in and where the microphone is positioned representing the listeners head.
                        Pioneer have it on very select units too. I have not upgraded my base HU in my car because auto-EQ units dont have regular usb drives. its all add-on units. and alpine has add on units to get the bloody imprint Digitial signal processing done.

I want auto-EQ, usb drive (mp3 and wav!) and burr brown dacs

but my left front speaker started crackling at high volumes recently. not sure if a cable is dislodged or if the speaker is busted? What speakers do you recommend?
                        id go for some focals...soundstream..option audio...there is so much on the market these days... even digital design are bringin out awesome components

Comment

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
                          everything has its limit....if u hear speakers distorting it means there up to loud and the coils is over heating...it all depends on the amp...the voltage output from the head deck...alpine has this new shit out called imprint...i fitted it to a BA falcon with standard speakers and the outcome was insane! what amp were u running the type rs off ? because u need relativly high power to get the most out of them....and btw ive been to a car install shop....it used to be my job..
                          Good amps

What car install shop did you work at? What did you do there?

Just curious, have you heard AVI's, or even heard of them? Because most people have no idea they exist.

Comment

autobarn in blacktown... i was a car audio and security installer... and no i havnt heard of avis

Comment

i have so many questions about car audio... such a noob but i would love to improve the sound in my car because i spend a fair amount in it and i love music.

what i the real difference between component speakers and coaxials? Is it just that the tweeter is mounted on the larger driver on a coaxials or is there more to it? why would you want the tweeter separate? how and where do you mount separate tweeters? and how/where do to mount the filters? grr... should i just reuse the hu-speaker cabling already in my car or will it be crap and should be replaced? what about fuse-hu? i have lots of reading to do.

are the 6.5" 165CA1's are a good replacement for the stock dc2 speakers? or would 165CVX be much better? or should i try to squeeze 690CA1's in there? i will need to make some mounting thingo from mdx cos they are too deep and big right? i guess i need to take my door apart and take a look inside to see how it all looks inside there...

Comment

Hutch is the only distributor of AVI in Australia, not many people have heard of them as he doesnt advertise much... he gets a lot of repeat business by rep and quality... not a flashy installer, rather focusing on quality of materials, install and sound...

Having known Hutch most of my life i've always had AVI throughout my cars... i cant really fault them to be honest... and the detail of the sound, the warmth and clarity is unsurpassed in my humble opinion...

You pay the bucks, but this is handmade equipment, they had magnets bigger than the cones a long time before it became "fashionable" ive had mine in my car since 2 weeks after i bought the car new, and the same setup from top to bottom still sounds the same and performs just as well as it did when i bought them...

Metrosound Artarmon... see Hutch, then him Kalen (if fails tell him with the yellow honda) sent you... you will not be dissapointed if you are serious about quality.

Comment

Working...
                                X