Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker Upgrade questions

Hi,

I have decided to upgrade my stock Type S Headunit and speakers.

Before i start my research i need to know a few things

1 - I want to get a 7inch HU with features such as DVD, MP3, Divx, Sat nav, Bluetooth. Which manufacturer/product would you recommened

2 - I want to upgrade my front and rear speakers. I dont know the sizes for these speakers, so before i even begin looking at new ones i need to know this. Also who is the leader in the speaker quality these days? Pioneer?

3 - I dont want a sub at the moment due to loss of boot space. but might get one later on, would this be achievable?

4 - would it be a good idea to get a amp to power the aftermarket speakers at the moment?

5 - Any place to install this? that you people might know of?

lots of questions but i have to start somewhere. Any help would be apprieciated

thanks
    Blaze Orange

Originally posted by TypeSexy View Post
    Hi,

I have decided to upgrade my stock Type S Headunit and speakers.

Before i start my research i need to know a few things

1 - I want to get a 7inch HU with features such as DVD, MP3, Divx, Sat nav, Bluetooth. Which manufacturer/product would you recommened

2 - I want to upgrade my front and rear speakers. I dont know the sizes for these speakers, so before i even begin looking at new ones i need to know this. Also who is the leader in the speaker quality these days? Pioneer?

3 - I dont want a sub at the moment due to loss of boot space. but might get one later on, would this be achievable?

4 - would it be a good idea to get a amp to power the aftermarket speakers at the moment?

5 - Any place to install this? that you people might know of?

lots of questions but i have to start somewhere. Any help would be apprieciated

thanks
    1> if u want nav built in id go the pioneer range...

2> id look at some alpine type S or even better type R ...pioneer speakers aint as good as they used to be...u want the real gear get some focals..

3> alot of manufactures are bringing out the slimline subs and only need a tiny box....but if u get the right set of speakers they will be punchy enough

4> yeah an amp is highly recommended...speakers these days are as high as 120 watts rms each and ur average head deck only puts out around 18rms per channel...

5> fellas at autobarn in penrith are really good fitters and will do a really good bundle pack if u buy ur equipment through them

Comment

From what i have been told http://www.fhrxstudios.com/ are one of the best places in Sydney

I believe you are probably better off spending more money on your front speakers and leaving the back stock and maybe turning them down, than you would be spending the same amount on both sets

Comment

i put a set of alpine type r 6x9s in my parcel tray becuase i didnt want a sub due to weight....and the 6x9s shocked me...the bass they create is awesome..

Comment

1. i agree with dc2rkid on this, pioneers h/u's are very good, both in function and aesthetics

2. assuming the dc5s and dc5r are the same/similar in terms of their I.C.E, both fronts and rears are 6.5'. however, the fronts are very shallow, so you'll have to either find shallow front speakers or put in spacers to make them sit properly.

3. yeah, it is possible to add a sub in the future. an option is that you could always take out teh spare tyre and put the sub in there and make a false floor over the top. it'll be completely out of the way and still have space above the false floor to do ur grocery shopping haha

4. i also agree with dc2rkid on this one too. highly recommended .. even though i dont do it myself hahaa

5. diy for this stuff isnt hard, there are plenty of guides of it up on clubrsx

you might want to look into redoing the wiring too, if you want to get the most out of your aftermarket gear.
          Last edited by illuzi0nz; 25-10-09, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I love my Focals and highly recommend them. If you're interested in a slimline sub, they're quite good if you're after space / weight saver. In my car, mine looks like this.

I'm probably going to upgrade soon if I don't sell my car as it's not saving as much space as it's meant to be. It would save more if it stood up vertically but my rear strut is in the way, but assuming you don't have a strut its really compact.

Comment

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
              I love my Focals and highly recommend them. If you're interested in a slimline sub, they're quite good if you're after space / weight saver. In my car, mine looks like this.

I'm probably going to upgrade soon if I don't sell my car as it's not saving as much space as it's meant to be. It would save more if it stood up vertically but my rear strut is in the way, but assuming you don't have a strut its really compact.
              perfect lil system...the lil pioneers slims aint to bad....soundstream have a nice lil slimline out atm...and id love to have focals in my car! but yeah if u wanna get the most out of ur system dynamat is needed! everythin rattles in my car...so dynamat is ma next priority

Comment

DIY is the go i made the box for the 2 alpine type r 12s...each port 22.5inch long...it used to hammer ...pics from back in the days when i first got licence haha i didnt care about boot space

Comment

So not only are u a HOON on the road.. ur also a bass adikt !! LMAOO no wonder ur so popular with the cops

Comment

Glad you asked this question Burak.

I was going to replace the front & rear speaker with 6" Alpines, Dynamatt both doors & quarter panels, Run an Alpine 12" sub with an alpine amp, Also have some tweeters up front running of the standard head unit.

But decided not to go ahead with it yet as theirs still some stuff i want to do to the car b4 i start on interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                      From what i have been told http://www.fhrxstudios.com/ are one of the best places in Sydney

I believe you are probably better off spending more money on your front speakers and leaving the back stock and maybe turning them down, than you would be spending the same amount on both sets
                      ohk fair enough but i rather upgrade the rear as well, since its so easy to replace.

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
                      i put a set of alpine type r 6x9s in my parcel tray becuase i didnt want a sub due to weight....and the 6x9s shocked me...the bass they create is awesome..
                      6x9's do pump. But i cant put it in the S

Originally posted by illuzi0nz View Post
                      1. i agree with dc2rkid on this, pioneers h/u's are very good, both in function and aesthetics

2. assuming the dc5s and dc5r are the same/similar in terms of their I.C.E, both fronts and rears are 6.5'. however, the fronts are very shallow, so you'll have to either find shallow front speakers or put in spacers to make them sit properly.

3. yeah, it is possible to add a sub in the future. an option is that you could always take out teh spare tyre and put the sub in there and make a false floor over the top. it'll be completely out of the way and still have space above the false floor to do ur grocery shopping haha

4. i also agree with dc2rkid on this one too. highly recommended .. even though i dont do it myself hahaa

5. diy for this stuff isnt hard, there are plenty of guides of it up on clubrsx

you might want to look into redoing the wiring too, if you want to get the most out of your aftermarket gear.
                      thanks heaps mate

Originally posted by M@lew View Post

Nice set up. how much it cost?

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
                      DIY is the go i made the box for the 2 alpine type r 12s...each port 22.5inch long...it used to hammer ...pics from back in the days when i first got licence haha i didnt care about boot space
                      crazy system in a shit box car. i say shit box cause i got the same :P

Originally posted by Type S Tony View Post
                      Glad you asked this question Burak.

I was going to replace the front & rear speaker with 6" Alpines, Dynamatt both doors & quarter panels, Run an Alpine 12" sub with an alpine amp, Also have some tweeters up front running of the standard head unit.

But decided not to go ahead with it yet as theirs still some stuff i want to do to the car b4 i start on interior.
                      how much would that cost? you have to change teh HU if you want to run a sub and shit, or you just going to get that converter?

ill prob do something like your idea but no dynomat and sub.

Im thinking of this..

Pioneer HU
                      Type R or S fronts and rear speakers would the type R fit in the front?
                      leave the tweets stock

yay or nay
                      Blaze Orange

Comment

sound deadening your doors professionally will be the better upgrade than any speakers you choose, if your not going to add a sub/amp combo

Comment

haha call it a shit box i know but she got into readers rides in hot 4s issue 171 haha i was in my glory :P but yea even a lil type R 10 would crank in the right enclosure...
                          Last edited by DC2RKID; 26-10-09, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DC:53:XX View Post
                            So not only are u a HOON on the road.. ur also a bass adikt !! LMAOO no wonder ur so popular with the cops
                            i was a fitter at autobarn in blacktown so i got the urge to be loud haha on the top of that box sat 2 500rms amps...1 amp per sub and on the back of the seat was a digital 4 channel running all the speakers

Comment

alpine type R speakers are rather bulky man... i had to space mine out a few mm in the dc2

Comment

Working...
                              X