harsh lesson learned - check you nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You were very lucky!!

Quite a few years ago I had a 92 Prelude VTiR - decided to get mags & 17" fitted by a well-known 'quick-fit' tyre fitting outfit (uh huh). Took it back to them a week later saying there were some funny noises happening. I was told (probably because I'm a girl) that "it's just the new springs settling in".

Another week goes by, I'm cornering (correct speed too!) in a back street, hit a small dip, and the car's front end locks up and slides/scrapes 45 degrees across the road and I have no steering control. Car was off the road for five weeks, $6,000 worth of damage to the front end. Why? These quick-fitters didn't put replace certain spring clips and one side didn't have whatever nut it needed.

I rang the franchise owner to say although it's covered by insurance, I think they need to take a look at their quality control etc. I received a mouthful of abuse in return. I later found out they also fitted the wrong load rated tyres which were a cheaper option (and could have voided my insurance apparently). Noice.

Comment

neg camber FTW! nah in all seriousness.. damn man sorry 2 hear... has anyone thought of getting 4/5 different lock nuts instead of the normal 3/4 lugs and a single lock nut lol?
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
        neg camber FTW! nah in all seriousness.. damn man sorry 2 hear... has anyone thought of getting 4/5 different lock nuts instead of the normal 3/4 lugs and a single lock nut lol?
        I just thought about it though.. but buying different lock nuts would mean you need to buy few different sets of nuts as well :S
        - Project R -

Comment

yeah, 4/5 lock nuts lol....
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

Perhaps just run two lock nuts per wheel at opposite ends?
            David

'00 DC2 Integra TypeR SOLD
            '78 SB2 Civic "Hondamatic"
            '07 GD3 Jazz

Comment

OUCH!!! dude im sorry to hear what happened!!
              glad you're ok...
              what is the world coming too! >< f0cking little shiets!

having different lock nuts on the same wheel is CRAZY!
              but it feels like we have to come to doing that these days.
              whatever happened to respecting other pple properties!
              ><

Comment

Sorry to hear and glad you are ok......now I am considering to put 2 set of lock nuts on each wheel.....lol
                Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                1)ブレーキを踏む
                2)クラッチを切る
                3)シフトダウンしなから、
                  アクセルをぶかす
                4)クラッチをつなぐ
                :blah:
                インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Sorry to see this happen to you champ, I wouldnt worry about doubling up on lock nuts & what not, the nut did what it was designed to do and that was keep you safe, all i can suggest is make sure your insurance covers theft of this nature and try to park your car in hard to reach places when you go to your mates houses & stuff. this is just part of what world we live, no matter what you do there will always be someone/something wanting to do wrong by you,just make sure your prepared for when the time comes and thats about it.

Comment

fukin cunts ay..... could of been worse, at least you're ok man
                    k20A DC2R

Comment

sorry to here about your bad luck mate, i had one of my cars keyed and my best mate had his wheels stolen so i know how you feel, its fcked. shit like this always seems to happen when your hungover to hey? try mugen locknuts, there all 7 sided and are small in diameter which whould help stop them bashing a random socket over them to
                      02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

shit... sorry to hear mate... the photos are just making me so angry!

get those locknuts asap

Comment

thanks for the kind words guys!

im glad it happened where it did and ill be defiantly be taking more care in parking spots.

I got my new wheel studs from honda today, so that means a little more bonding time with the car this weekend lol. And my new lock nuts sit recessed into the rim more and require a key for every single one! no screwdriver bashing on these babies =)
                          skinned knuckle racing

Comment

good to hear you're OK and progressing with the recovery
                            ClubITR | Like

Comment

glad to see ur rims still there man.. theres been a few cases of rim theft in the western suburbs lately.. friend of a friend got 2 of his rims stolen.. i say invest in a good tilt sensor alarm and a good but not well known lock nut.

Comment

Far out. Scary stuff. I think the crime in Syd has finally reached Melb.

Very unlucky yet lucky! Hope your car is well soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X