Inverted Tie Rod Ends or Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stinger View Post
    I guess the only consequence of not having the tie rod ends initially is bump steer. If it's excessive, they can be installed when desired.
    In the long term you can also damage your steering rack. I believe Chi has covered this in another thread (maybe on Ozhonda) but he mentioned one of his friends having to go back to Honda to get it repaired/replaced due to this

Originally posted by aidannn View Post
    always found this to be a little confusing. my teins already come with camber tops. ive also bought a set of camber bolts to attempt to achieve more negative camber. But after research on clubrsx alot of them have been unable to dial in enough negative camber if their cars are too low.

if this is the case with my car, would inverted tie rods be the only way to solve this or would i need another set of camber bolts?

im wanting to get around -2.5/3 camber while keeping toe at 0 (or closest to) also wanting to steer clear of tie rods if possible as it seems they are prone to failure.
    What camber settings are you currently on now? And what have you put on to achieve this?

I am running on Tein SS and currently have maxed out on -2.8 camber at the front with 0 toe. To achieve that I used the camber tops, the inverted tie rod ends and one set of camber bolts (you are able to use two).

I also have a spare bracket for sale if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by TeMp; 08-10-09, 06:54 PM.

Comment

ive got barely any, -0.5 or something like that. from my alignment ages ago when i wasnt sure what camber and all that did. i just told the tyre shop to focus on tyre life.

atm its only camber tops. ive read that you get about -1deg.

havent installed my bolts yet, but thats meant to be about another -1?

would the tie rods be able to get me that extra bit of neg camber?
      "as engages in 3rd God himself descends from the heavens and runs behind the car thrusting you forward"

Comment

-1 max if you're lucky with camber bolts.

Better off with shortened/adjustable tie rods if you want heaps more camber.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
        Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

WTF is going on in this thread.

Buddy club N+ do have a form of camber adjustment at the front due to the slotted upper hole where the strut bolts to the knuckle.

Tie rod ends will have absolutely no effect on the camber settings that you can attain, they will however affect what toe settings you can use at said camber settings.

As Chi says you will be lucky to get 1 degree of camber per bolt per side.

Remember kids bump steer is the new rice.

Comment

from my understanding i can get enough neg camber from the bolts and camber tops

but in doing this will will give me too much toe (in or out?, but dont want either)

so i need the tie rods to be able to get the toe to zero?
            "as engages in 3rd God himself descends from the heavens and runs behind the car thrusting you forward"

Comment

Originally posted by aidannn View Post
              from my understanding i can get enough neg camber from the bolts and camber tops

but in doing this will will give me too much toe (in or out?, but dont want either)

so i need the tie rods to be able to get the toe to zero?
              Yeah mate you are correct , I was just concerned that some of the comments in this thread were not super clear on that point.

Comment

so for those who have installed inverted tie rod ends, is it still going strong ie. no wear/play??

thinking to get some myself.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Lee View Post
                  so for those who have installed inverted tie rod ends, is it still going strong ie. no wear/play??

thinking to get some myself.

thanks
                  Yup. No one single problem and have gone to the track with them too.

Each time I do servicing I also check it but its never loose.

Comment

Thread revival. Was considering selling my akom inverted tie rod ends although after reading some posts in Will's (lowie's) thread it seems they may be required for more extensive camber adjustment.

Just wondering if anyone has any exact idea about whether the inverted tie rods are required to maximise the amount of camber adjustment that can be achieved.
                    Last edited by vuongster; 15-07-10, 09:22 AM.
                    DC5S

Comment

Originally posted by vuongster View Post
                      Thread revival. Was considering selling my akom inverted tie rod ends although after reading some posts in Will's (lowie's) thread it seems they may be required for more extensive camber adjustment.

Just wondering if anyone has any exact idea about whether the inverted tie rods are required to maximise the amount of camber adjustment that can be achieved.
                      When you are trying to archive more camber, one of the limiting factors can be the toe. Meaning when you are trying to dial in more negative camber, at the same time you are also affecting your toe settings (usually gaining more toe out) and too much toe is not desirable.

So in this instance the only way the inverted tie rod end helps is the ability to adjust the total length of your tie rod which effectively changes your toe settings. You can obviously just get purely shorten tie rods to do exactly the same thing.

Hope my clumsy explanation helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X