Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifications

hey all

im new to club ITR, and have just recently purchased a 2002 black DC5R and couldnt be happier!

I am looking to do some modifications to it, but dont know where to take it. It would be much appriciated if someone could help me to tell me what modifications to do to my stock type r, where to take it to get done in melbourne and am only looking to spend around $5000-6000

thanks all....

Diy!!!!

Comment

5-6k is alotta money dude, what do you want? acceleration or handling?

Comment

is H&R springs on ur car atm?

Comment

You can get a lot for 5-6k depending on what your goals are.

Irrespective of what direction you want to go with your modifcations a significant portion of that money should be spent on a very sticky set of tyres. Nothing else will improve so many facets of your car's performance so much for so little money. For the street tyres like the Bridgestone RE01R (now superceded by the RE11), Dunlop Direzza Z1, Advan AD07 (soon to be replaced by the AD08) are good.

Comment

well with spending that sort of money i would want a good combination of both handling and acceleration, theres nothing worse than a fast car that handles like a boat!

but what would you suggest starkynight????

also getting new set of tired sounds ideal.

and where is a good place in melbourne to get dc5r modifications done.

thanks

Comment

try modproject located s.e melbourne

Comment

could someone break down around $5k worthn of modifications and give me an explination on what it does and how much power/ handling my car will recieve.

im so new to my dc5r and am not sure and dont want to make a mstake that could leave it off the road for months

much appriciated

Comment

cold air intake ...

4-2-1 header ...

high-flow catalytic converter ...

high-flow exhaust ...

adjustable coil-overs ...

lightweight wheels ...

stiffer sway bars ...

strut bracing ...

camber adjusters ...

Engine Control Unit ...

oil monitoring gauges ...
                  ... retired/

Comment

first mod for dc5r, probably adjustable coilovers so you can lower the ride of that 4 wheel drive and make it stiffer, then i guess you can change the ugly stock rims, then u can go ahead and do ur bolt-on mods (intake, header exhaust).

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydc5 View Post
                      could someone break down around $5k worthn of modifications and give me an explination on what it does and how much power/ handling my car will recieve.
                      Modifying a car in real life isn't like modifying a car in a computer game. Ever car and every modification is different.

You still haven't said what you want out of the car.

The one thing I really enjoy about modifying my car is reading and investigating what mods others have done, and then reading into them more to see if others have had simular results, and comparing with other products that are simular and if MY money should to go towards that kind of modification... because at the end of the day its my money, and my car, so no one else really cares what I do to it.

But look into coilovers, swaybars and front and rear strut braces. These gave my car quiet a bit of rigidity, and made the car more exciting to drive. Also look into some aftermarket rims... something along the lines of 17x8 +35 - +40... and then get some sticky rubber. As for engine... depends if you want to get a off the shelf exhuast or "custom". Off the shelf catbacks are designed for JDM headers, so they don't mate up fully with the OEM AUDM headers... but if you get an aftermarket header... most of them need some type of aftermarket ECU to run properly (Not in limp mod). As for intakeā€¦ read up on Injen, Mugen and Gruppe M and make your decision about which one is best for what you want.

Comment

I've been told by many DC5R owners - GruppeM intake is definitely a significant mod to a DC5R. VTEC engagement screams louder as well as the car breathing smoother.
                        New about 1.3k

I was going to say value for money but considering the exchange rate it is not.

In terms of coilovers, if you decide to lower the DC5R with a substantial drop, you will need tie rods or else you are running the risk of camber and tyre wear. Personally, I don't think you can go past Tein Flex's.
                        Again very expensive brand new from Japan. 1.7-1.8k+

Currently I'm running a Mugen Twin Loop in my car and it is definitely a good exhaust.

Most people will suggest the first mods are Intake/Headers/Exhaust and Flywheel/Clutch combo. With 5-6k, you should be able to do either comfortably.

As for a place to go, thumbs up for Modproject - professional and prices are fair.

Comment

I would say...

Tyres
                          Coilovers
                          K Pro

Should be able to get all that done for $6k and you'll have great performance and handling. Tyres, like Tom said are the most important performance mod.

A wheel alignment will sort out issues with most coilovers. Just don't dump it too much without ITRs. You won't have too many issues with 2.5" lowering and zero toe and ~-2 camber.

K Pro will net you around 15-20kW with a tune. More than I/H/E will for $4-5k. You can do them later.
                          Last edited by m0nty; 02-03-09, 04:09 PM.

Comment

i would suggest, tyres, coilovers, intake/headers/exhaust and then ECU after that. all relatively easy to do mods so it wont cost an arm and a leg in labour.

Comment

I agree on what monty and tom are saying but me being me I would also invest in cams since not alot of people do turbo here since it's cost so much. I would give up on tyres because if your stock tires are still good then you can always get new tyres later when your tread wears down or when you are ready to track your car. But Kpro would be the first thing I would try to buy.

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                              I would say...

Tyres
                              Coilovers
                              K Pro

Should be able to get all that done for $6k and you'll have great performance and handling. Tyres, like Tom said are the most important performance mod.

A wheel alignment will sort out issues with most coilovers. Just don't dump it too much without ITRs. You won't have too many issues with 2.5" lowering and zero toe and ~-2 camber.

K Pro will net you around 15-20kW with a tune. More than I/H/E will for $4-5k. You can do them later.
                              "Death before dishonor!"

TheTeamIkon.com

Comment

Working...
                              X