No announcement yet.

Cold Air Intake - Heavy rain concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karl, that depends on where the intake point is. Obviously for the CRV it's higher than halfway up the doors.

The point I'm making is not for or against CAI - its knowing not to go into water deeper that you should be...and that applies to all cars.

Comment

Is indeed.
      Simple, if your filter is low and open you can hyrdolock your motor just driving through a puddle. The filter is high and enclosed for a reason!
      sigpic
      128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Mine is low and uncovered

Comment

Hi guys,

Ive had my car and injen cai for 5-6 years now. Today I got the fright of my life. I almost hydrolocked my car!

As you all know Sydney has been in shit weather this week and as I type this post, I can still hear the wind and the rain coming down!

This morning I planned to work in Parramatta which meant I got to drive the DC5 instead of the public system. Got onto the main road and noticed across three lanes it was covered in water. I estmate from the ground, the water was say 3-4 inches deep. I swerved and stuck to the far right lane to end up being in the most shallowest part of the water. I did hit it at speed though say 50-60km/h. I cruised through with absolutely no throttle at all and continued to drive afterwards without a worry in the world. I mean, I've had this cold air intake for over 5 years, and never had any issue. Approx 5 min later as I continued driving, I noticed as I left the traffic lights, my car revved to around 5-6k rpm and immediately lost power and tacho went back to almost idle around 1k rpm. At this stage I pulled over right away and casually checking my rear view mirrors, I noticed white steam/smoke coming out of my exhaust pipe. SHIT MYSELF! I turned the car off, and after a few heavy breaths just like paul walker after his first race against Dom in F&F#1, I reclaimed sanity and contacted Dedy at Top One. It was 6.55am at this stage and wasnt thinking he'd pick up. To my happiness he did and told me to either tow the car or drive with caution to the workshop. I remember wanting to take a towie as I only want the best for the DC5, but something inside of me told me I could drive it there. Only revved to 2k rpm and slowly drove to TOp ONe, I noticed that after around 10 min of driving, the revving of the car was better than before and thankfully I made it to top one!

Dedy took our my spark plugs, inspected said was fine, and emptied my oil and put in fresh oil and oil filter. Inspecting the oil showed no water at all which was relieving! He also installed for me a random pod filter with oem intake hose for the time being!

So thankful my car is fine *touch wood*

things to remember for enxt time - if possible slowly go thru the puddles, I think if I rolled thru with enough pace to clear the puddle with no throttle that is fine, but the pace I hit the water meant the water got soaked into the filter. I did also have a hydroshield too btw.
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

Wow... That sounds really scary lol. Thank god I got a GruppeM =)

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
              Hi guys,

Ive had my car and injen cai for 5-6 years now. Today I got the fright of my life. I almost hydrolocked my car!

As you all know Sydney has been in shit weather this week and as I type this post, I can still hear the wind and the rain coming down!

This morning I planned to work in Parramatta which meant I got to drive the DC5 instead of the public system. Got onto the main road and noticed across three lanes it was covered in water. I estmate from the ground, the water was say 3-4 inches deep. I swerved and stuck to the far right lane to end up being in the most shallowest part of the water. I did hit it at speed though say 50-60km/h. I cruised through with absolutely no throttle at all and continued to drive afterwards without a worry in the world. I mean, I've had this cold air intake for over 5 years, and never had any issue. Approx 5 min later as I continued driving, I noticed as I left the traffic lights, my car revved to around 5-6k rpm and immediately lost power and tacho went back to almost idle around 1k rpm. At this stage I pulled over right away and casually checking my rear view mirrors, I noticed white steam/smoke coming out of my exhaust pipe. SHIT MYSELF! I turned the car off, and after a few heavy breaths just like paul walker after his first race against Dom in F&F#1, I reclaimed sanity and contacted Dedy at Top One. It was 6.55am at this stage and wasnt thinking he'd pick up. To my happiness he did and told me to either tow the car or drive with caution to the workshop. I remember wanting to take a towie as I only want the best for the DC5, but something inside of me told me I could drive it there. Only revved to 2k rpm and slowly drove to TOp ONe, I noticed that after around 10 min of driving, the revving of the car was better than before and thankfully I made it to top one!

Dedy took our my spark plugs, inspected said was fine, and emptied my oil and put in fresh oil and oil filter. Inspecting the oil showed no water at all which was relieving! He also installed for me a random pod filter with oem intake hose for the time being!

So thankful my car is fine *touch wood*

things to remember for enxt time - if possible slowly go thru the puddles, I think if I rolled thru with enough pace to clear the puddle with no throttle that is fine, but the pace I hit the water meant the water got soaked into the filter. I did also have a hydroshield too btw.
              Simular happened to me with my cai on newbridge rd few month back...so since we had this rain i removed it last night and runing stock airbox with resonator removed.

I want to get ct engineering airbox tho

Comment

lol i noticed i had steam coming out of my bonnet for abit...and im using mugen..
                i think weathers all back to normal now =)
                AUTO | Ktuned @ 115.2 kw atw | ITR Cams-TB-I/M | XForce 4-2-1 | Toda Catback | Mugen Intake | Whiteline | Buddyclub N+ | Buddyclub SF3

Comment

Could be your extractors got splashed to it smoked. Yeah hope weather is good now and stays like this.

Comment

Water just got into my car, $3k to replace my engine! don't recommend CAI, anyone got a stock DCS air intake?

Comment

details please!!!
                      ... retired/

Comment

Did you have an Injen CAI?
                        Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by T R DC5 View Post
                          Water just got into my car, $3k to replace my engine! don't recommend CAI, anyone got a stock DCS air intake?
                          What exactly happened??
                          ClubITR | Like

Comment

Working...
                          X