Cold Air Intake - Heavy rain concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Air Intake - Heavy rain concerns

Anyone here have cai placed at the bottom front left bumper? Mine is there and I'm worried all the time when driving in the rain. It seems exposed and can suck a lot of water if heavy rain or driving long distance in the rain.
    I feel like changing it back to normal.
    Anyone know if it's really bad?

You can get a water shield for your cai
    sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Zippy has is nailed. Here is a link for your reference. I highly suggest using one.
      http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...FaY1QgodSw4AjQ

Comment

Renamed and moved thread from Technical to General Automotive.
        ClubITR | Like

Comment

I have had injen cai comming up to 5 years. Not a problem once.
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

All it takes is common sense really - I've been driving for more than 25 years now and I've only heard of hydrolock once, and that was a friend of a friend. We're also talking driving in Singapore and Malaysia which is much more prone to flooding. In the meantime, I've had two at fault accidents and rear ended twice.

The thing to bear in mind is if your car is low, be aware of how much clearance your filter has...and if you approach an area where you don't know how deep the water is...don't go in!

I've seen idiots drive into flooded areas with water 2-3 feet deep. Water in your intake will be the last of your problem!

Comment

I used to work for racv doing road side assistance.
                One very rainy day 3 of my call outs were for hydrolocked engines, two of them spat the conrods out the side of the engine blocks..
                sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

You're scaring me now haha

Comment

Originally posted by ZIPPIE Type-S View Post
                    I used to work for racv doing road side assistance.
                    One very rainy day 3 of my call outs were for hydrolocked engines, two of them spat the conrods out the side of the engine blocks..
                    Goes back to my point - if you drive a low car, don't try and drive where you need a 4WD. Even in a 4WD, you can't cross a flooded river.

If you see a pool of water on the road (let alone unknown depth), and if you don't slow down...hydrolock is the least of your worries. And if you can't figure that out...you really shouldn't be driving.
                    Last edited by Apu; 25-01-14, 01:08 PM.

Comment

A Hydro-shield won't protect you against submergence. Just sayin'
                      Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

go gruppe m

Comment

Just get an injen cai, hydrolock isn't a problem if you drive smart
                          1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
                          1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
                          2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
                          F1 Nut

Comment

I don't know what cai I have

Comment

Originally posted by Apu View Post
                              Goes back to my point - if you drive a low car, don't try and drive where you need a 4WD. Even in a 4WD, you can't cross a flooded river.

If you see a pool of water on the road (let alone unknown depth), and if you don't slow down...hydrolock is the least of your worries. And if you can't figure that out...you really shouldn't be driving.
                              Driven my CRV through water half up the doors. Had no problem!

Get a proper intake. Its not worth the risk. And the power increase is nothing over a proper intake. All you achieve is sound. There was also a person on this forum whos hydrolocked his engine in sydney.
                              sigpic
                              128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Working...
                              X