Abnormal idle after service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abnormal idle after service

Hey guys, the other week I did a minor service on my car - spark plugs, oil + oil filter.

For reference,

I have a dc2 vti-r
    OEM honda motor oil
    OEM oil filter
    NGK Iridium IX - BKR7EIX

I also tried cleaning out what I could from the throttle body and intake manifold with a cloth, degreaser and a screwdriver to reach in as far as I could. Also I tightened the throttle cable just a little bit because there was still some slack.

Since the service, the car drives as normal until I come to slow down or pop into neutral. It'll drop revs to regular idle around 1.1k and then I guess hunt? To about 1.5 or 1.6l for a little while, then drop back down after about 5 to 10 seconds.

Could a simple thing such as resetting the ECU via disconnecting the battery for a bit do the trick?

Cheers in advance, Andy

Firstly, how come you are running a colder heat rating than OEM?

Why did you used degreaser instead of throttle body cleaner? Did you clean your IACV at the same time? Did you play with distributor timing at all?

Also did you take off any vacuum lines and have not reconnected?
    Last edited by sleepingperformance; 12-08-13, 03:29 PM.
    Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
    Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
    Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Honestly, I just went in asking for spark plugs which would suit a B18C2. Should I change them ASAP?

I didn't have any carby cleaner/tb cleaner on hand and a friend suggested the use of degreaser, so while waiting for the oil to drain out we figured to give it a go. No, we didn't touch the IACV, or the dizzy at all.

Comment

Did you clean the throttle body before or after you changed the spark plugs??
        sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

It was after, though I hadn't fired the engine yet as I was still waiting for oil to drain.

Comment

Originally posted by chuchuchrains View Post
            Honestly, I just went in asking for spark plugs which would suit a B18C2. Should I change them ASAP?

I didn't have any carby cleaner/tb cleaner on hand and a friend suggested the use of degreaser, so while waiting for the oil to drain out we figured to give it a go. No, we didn't touch the IACV, or the dizzy at all.
            The OEM plugs are a BKR6E-11 from memory. I would only be running the BKR7E-11 if you are boosted or this is a dedicated track car. Degreaser is not the sort of cleaning agent that should be used when cleaning the throttle body and intake manifold. Pull the plugs out and make sure they haven't fowled and check for vacuum leaks
            Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
            Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
            Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
            Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

I may not have enough time until after Thursday to have a look, will it be okay driving with them as is? It does seem to drive as normal.

I've just checked and you're right, I had a set of BKR6E-11 there before, and they were in pretty good condition.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...pid=6394#Cross

They're much cheaper than the BKR7EIX so I just want to double check they're the right spec.

Right, lesson learnt with the degreaser, I was just trying to be resourceful haha. Do you think there would be any lasting effects? The remnants of degreaser should be gone from the TB and IM by now right?

Comment

one thought would be to make sure the throttle cable is not too tight? if its just a bit too tight it could constitute a 'vacuum leak' of sorts - which causes hunting...

the plugs wont affect your idle, unless they re fouling (easy to check for that)

make sure all the rubber vacuum lines are in good condition and still attached...

just on the plugs - the IX are iridium - which last 10 times longer - that's why they are more expensive...

but end answer - it should be fine to drive around, you probably just have a vacuum leak...
                ... retired/

Comment

oh, and yes, you should reset the ECU occasionally...
                  ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                  X