Washing the engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing the engine bay

Hey, Any tips for a noobie to as how to wash the engine bay ?

I was planning to take it to one of those self service place and just spray degreaser on it. Anything to look out for ?

If you're using a pressure sprayer, be VERY careful because wiring is mostly situated up top. It's going to be hard. The best way I've found to clean my engine bay is to get some degreaser and a cloth and scrubbing like mad. That way you're not applying too much pressure on the harnesses and plugs.
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Ohh dam, new there was a catch to it. Ohhh its going to be a tedious time cleaning that up.

Comment

there aint much problem pressure washing it, just try stay away from electrical plugs n such.. and if you wash around the top of your rocker cover you may need to blow out the spark plug holes with compressed air other wise you may encounter a bit of mis firing... also before you do pressure wash your engine get it up to opereating temp first, that way if you get water where its not supposed to be it should dry off pretty quick...
        sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

^ what he said and also i do recommend you covering the battery, distribuitor, coilpacks. With a plastic bag is fine inspect the bag prior to use though.. you wouldnt want to use a bag with holes. As long as the vitals are clear then it should be perfectly fine.
          https://www.facebook.com/teamgradeA?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.happystance.net - Australian photographer

http://www.nikolaznguyenle.portfoliobox.net/

Comment

i cling wrap all the electrical bits, spray degreaser and hose away. then use a leaf blower to dry it off
            Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
            Flickr
            my car blog - Have a read
            my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

Bag your alarm if you have one as well. I've had bad experiences with hosing engine bays even though I've covered up all electrical components and even sprayed WD40 on the plugs I've still managed to get condensation in the dizzy and fry it lol. Now I just degrease and leave it or wipe it down.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys ! Wrote them all down and off to the wash !

Comment

Working...
                X