Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for lowering DC5

Hey guys,
    So Ive lowered my DC5-S on coilovers, have it on 18x8s and very happy with the way it was looking. However I got pulled over the other day and my car was defected for being too dam low...After raising it, going to vic roads, getting told its still to low, going home raising it more and repeating the process, I finally got it cleared, but now, it looks like a 4WD. Ive noticed after looking under the car, the only thing that is sticking out a lot is the fat as hell stock exhaust, Everything else is neatly tucked away. I was just wondering if anybody has any tips or recommendations on how to achieve a nice low look and still clear 100mm...

Re: Tips for lowering DC5

Originally posted by abez24 View Post
    Hey guys,
    So Ive lowered my DC5-S on coilovers, have it on 18x8s and very happy with the way it was looking. However I got pulled over the other day and my car was defected for being too dam low...After raising it, going to vic roads, getting told its still to low, going home raising it more and repeating the process, I finally got it cleared, but now, it looks like a 4WD. Ive noticed after looking under the car, the only thing that is sticking out a lot is the fat as hell stock exhaust, Everything else is neatly tucked away. I was just wondering if anybody has any tips or recommendations on how to achieve a nice low look and still clear 100mm...
    Impossible. The design of the DC5 chassis won't allow for it. It gets worse with an after market exhaust.

How low were you?

Comment

18's too much imo, i'd run 17's, 17's still give a nice low and aggressive look,specially 17x9, but there's not much advice that can be given i don't think, since you've already been defected until you've raised it to 4WD status. my opinion and what i think ><" others might have something completely different to say though. Good luck
      BNR34 Build [SOLD]
      APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
      Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
      NSEX

Comment

Well since putting the 18s, i think i would probably go down to 17s again and get them fatter for that more aggressive look, but then i drop my height by 10mm and Its illegal again
        How low were you?
        At the moment im probably just under 110mm with the 18s and its looking fairly 4WD spec. Ive raised it about 20mm to get it legal but not happy with the look anymore
        As for the wholle exhaust situation i figured as much, I was hoping there would be some way around it but guess theres not. And that doesnt sound good if Im going to buy an aftermarket exhaust too
        fml cops....

Comment

17s with a fattish tyre will make it look less 4wd without actually lowering the chassis much if at all.

Comment

Having 18s would make the car sit higher than 17s so keep with the 18s although 17s are better if your after heighy 18s the way
            S2000
            WSID : TBA
            Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
            Smooth As Detailing
            Incar Racing

Comment

Are you after looks alone. If so flatten the base of the exhaust! Or go look to see if theres room for it to be raised. If so modify the exhaust to sit high on the brackets!
              sigpic
              128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

All the above points are good
                Interested about flattening the exhaust though
                Don't know how to really go about doing that and what damage if any would be caused
                I know 17s make it look less 4wd but then it's too low once again. Lifting the exhaust is a possibility I'd have to look into.has anyone tried any of this?

Comment

Originally posted by abez24 View Post
                  All the above points are good
                  Interested about flattening the exhaust though
                  Don't know how to really go about doing that and what damage if any would be caused
                  I know 17s make it look less 4wd but then it's too low once again. Lifting the exhaust is a possibility I'd have to look into.has anyone tried any of this?
                  going to 17s will not drop the car 10mm...

flattening your exhaust is a stupid stupid, stupid idea, i think karl was being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by fr4n View Post
                    going to 17s will not drop the car 10mm....
                    It actually would, 17s the rim is sitting on the hub lower.
                    Happens all the time at work and then jack wont fit anymore
                    S2000

Flippit Photography
                    Smooth As Detailing
                    Incar Racing

Comment

I've got 18's on mine.. I'll measure it up but I'm sure I'm above 100mm and I don't look like a 4wd.
                      FOR SALE 2005 DC5 TYPE S with 156k km's log books $11.3k

Comment

Originally posted by fr4n View Post
                        going to 17s will not drop the car 10mm...

flattening your exhaust is a stupid stupid, stupid idea, i think karl was being sarcastic.
                        indeed. The 2nd part wasn't though. I just measure my car. lowest point is my front lip @ 135mm and i dont think mine looks like a 4wd. especially near my CRV. Having 280mm minimal clearance
                        sigpic
                        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Forget being low and go 4WD status like me.
                          Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
                            It actually would, 17s the rim is sitting on the hub lower.
                            Happens all the time at work and then jack wont fit anymore
                            the reason it shouldnt lower your car 10mm is because we try to maintain same rolling circumference regardless of wheel size.

if your car did drop 10mm after going from 18s to 17s, your speedo would be way off.

Comment

it drops because its sits different on the hub, the actual RIM is larger not the rim/tyre so it does sit higher on the Hub and higher off ground. Rotating diameter remains same.

The stud pattern is further from edge of rim thus making it sit higher.
                              S2000

Flippit Photography
                              Smooth As Detailing
                              Incar Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X