No announcement yet.

EP3 Civic TypeR (JDM) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VW is officially bringing in the Scirocco R to aus, late this year i beleive. Its out of my price range but if i could afford one it would be on my shortlist! front wheel drive, not four, but lighter than the golf and apparently handling is awesome.

my personal opinion on paddleshifts, (having driven a friend's BMW M3 CS several times and been in a friend's R35 GTR), even the best/sportiest ones, is that while they may be very efficient and in some cases faster than the manual equivalent, they are less fun. the interaction between car and driver is reduced and an element of control is lost. another friend who upgraded from tuned WRX to new EvoX with flappy paddles said the same thing, it's just not as fun, even though an average driver will be faster in a streight line and in the hills, where you can keep both hands on the wheel.
    "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

I saw the Scirocco R at the motor show yesterday and it was quite nice! Shame to see it with halogen tails instead of LED's but the rear bucket seats are a very nice touch.

Interesting point you bring up about the paddle shift. Due to the paddles being mounted on the wheel itself and not the column, they turn along with the wheel making them virtually useless when you are cornering. I believe most of the Jap cars have it mounted on the column and its accessible all the time no matter the angle of the wheel.

The Golf overall has certainly taken the driver involvement down a notch but at the same way its pretty fun (well 2,000km's later and I still love it) listening and feeling the engine rev match and downshift for you almost effortlessly, at the end of the day when I do make my first trip out to winton this year I'll definately be taking the evo and leaving the golf at home.
      Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #010

Comment

just to add, my first impression when driving the Golf was almost as if I was playing a video game. The feel, the sound and almost everything about it felt like I was sitting inside a GT5 interface and interestingly enough I let two of my mates drive the car who said exactly the same thing without anyone mentioning it to them.

What I'm trying to get at is that both cars along with a Type R are very very fun cars to drive, but are all so different and unique in their own way that it'd almost be a shame to have to compare them to one another to determine which is more "fun"
        Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #010

Comment

driven an evo9 and its so hard keeping the limit though you cant help yourself because its effortless. doing 40 in a school zone was the hardest thing of my life. the thought of an automatic kinda kills the fun of driving though paddle shift does give you that bit more of freedom making up for the lost clutch peddle. does look smaller than my ep and i kinda want a 5dr with a turbo =/ if only the 2008-9 m3's were more affordable... cheapest ive seen is 89k e92 manual. even in my sisters liberty, feels like any other normal car with just brembos and sti exhausts minus the boost that punches you in the face and the gearbox feels harder than the evo's is that meant to be right?

Comment

Working...
          X