Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: 2005 RSX Front + Rear conversion

FRONT CONVERSION

Artical by DC5BO from CRSX. Pics, full credits reserved to him. I copied it over becuase i know some of you guys will start doing the conversion and looking at the prunes on crsx this post wont last long. It will stay safe here

Parts Needed:

1. Right Side Headlight- 33101-S6M-A51
    2. Left Side Headlight- 33151-S6M-A51
    3. Right Headlight Bracket- 71140-S6M-010
    4. Left Headlight Bracket- 71190-S6M-010
    5. Upper Grille- 71121-S6M-J01
    6. Lower Grille- 71102-S6M-000
    7. Right Fog Light Cover- 71103-S6M-000
    8. Left Fog Light Cover- 71108-S6M-000
    9. License Plate Bracket(not required in all states)- 71145-S6M-A02

Other parts needed are:

(2) Parking/City Light Sockets- 34301-S2A-003
    (3-4ft) Power wiring
    (4) Male connectors
    (4) Female connectors
    (2) 9005 Harnesses

Turn Signals-* 02-04 turn signal socket will not fit into 05 housing without modification.
    (2) 7440 Amber Bulbs
    (2) 05+ Turn Signal Sockets
    OR
    To save money, you can shave off one of the smaller nubs off each 02-04 Turn Signal Socket, and it will fit into the 05+ housing. It will lock-in.
    Last edited by Jingers; 25-08-06, 11:15 AM.

actually if someone does a type R conversion to the type S front/rear that'll look cool! like a new model JDM DC5R
    Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #002

EVO IX FOR SALE:
    http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=6115

Comment

hmmmm.....I think i kno someone doing this conversion to his DC5r .

But yeh , this wud look hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Eoh
        hmmmm.....I think i kno someone doing this conversion to his DC5r .

But yeh , this wud look hot.

who??
        NBGP DC5R

Comment

Am not telling coz I know you already know lah hahahahaha. hints hints ....... I like ur avatar lol hahahahahahahah
          Last edited by Eoh; 16-08-06, 12:53 AM.

Comment

lol so subtle

Comment

i suspected this! nice one. make sure u do the rear too.
              almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

moving on guys... it looks alrite eh?
                NBGP DC5R

Comment

its looks aights, but personally, i would do the 06 back and 04 front

Comment

Yes rear too!
                    Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

yeah!!
                      i mean no real point doing the front and rear =p
                      it will look like a Type R wannabe ...

but if u do a franky conversion
                      and have new front old rear .. at least people will know u arent an S trying to be an R =)
                      Farewell TYP88R

Comment

OK following on from this i have found the articals on CRSX in regards to the rear conversion.

Pics are gone but its better then nothing, going to archive it here for when people needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skhou on CRSX, all rights reserved to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

REAR CONVERSION

I finally had the time to sit down and do this highly requested mod (disregarding the months of procrastination, lol). With all the parts and tool in place, it took me 23 minutes to complete, not too shabby. Basically what this mod do is rewire your '05 RSX taillights so both inner lens and outter lens light up at night, instead of just the outter lens only. You will retain your blinker signal as well. Basically, you're swapping out the socket & plug from your taillight signal lens with a 3-pin socket/plug, and tapping the power wire from the neighboring outter lens.

2005 RSX taillights rewiring guide

The parts you need are:
                          • 2 3-pin plugs, part #: 04321-S2A-308 (you need to buy only one; it comes in a bag of 5 plugs)
                          • 2 dual filament wedge bulb, T20 W21/5W; part #: 34906-S30-003
                          • 2 3-pin sockets, part #: 33515-S2A-003
                          • 2 T-Taps, 22awg
                          • 2 male quick disconnects, 22awg
                          • 2 butt-connectors, 22awg
                          • 1 roll of wire, 22awg
                          • 1 hacksaw
                          • 1 salvaged wire plug from any Honda/Acura with at least two pigtails (wires with terminal)
                          • 1 wire stripper/cutter
                          I think that's all you need Here are the pics of the parts:

Wedge bulb, 3-pin socket & 3-pin connectors

Male quick disconnects, roll of 22awg wire, T-Taps, butt connectors, hacksaw, wire cutter/stripper

Salvaged wire harness (shown with 4 pigtails)

Difficulty Level: [05/10] (Intermediate)

Time required: 25 minutes

You should be able to find most of the electrical parts at your local RadioShack or AutoZone. I found most of mine in my tool shack . A good place to order bulk of electrical component is Mouser, Inc.. Simply a badass company, no doubt. For the sockets, wedge bulbs and plugs, you can order it from Delray Acura. Just punch in the provided part numbers and add to bag. So far, I've found that Delray offered the most economical price for these parts.

And finally, you need two pigtails to complete the mod. I just salvaged mine from a 4-pin plug with wires from a Civic power window wire harness at a local junkyard. You can order these pigtails from Acura too, but I don't think it's worth the $9.00+ per pigtail they are charging
                          Last edited by Jingers; 25-08-06, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I. Working with the plugs and sockets
                            The first thing you want to do is remove two pigtails from the salvaged plug. To do this, take a small screw driver or probe and pop out the wire retainer on the salvaged plug as follows:

With the retainer removed, take your screw driver or probe and dislodge the wires from its housing. This is a bit tricky so take your time not to damage the wire terminal or plug. If you damage the plug, you'll probably have to saw it in half to remove the pigtail:

This is what a pigtail looks like:

Three other pigtails:

If your pigtail is long enough, i.e. 8.0" or longer, you can skip the step below and jump right onto attaching the male quick-disconnect at opposite end of the pigtail.

Take the wire stripper and strip the end of the pigtail as shown above. You will connect the end of the pigtail to another strip of wire later.

Cut an 8.0" strip of wire from your roll of 22awg wire and strip both the ends:

With the ends stripped, connect the pigtail to the newly stripped wire with a butt-connector. Simply crimp the butt connector at the middle, securing both wires together:

Or if you want an even more secure connection, you can alternatively solder the stripped ends together and then place a heat-shrinking tube over the soldered area and heat it up to shrink the tubing.

With the 8.0" wire connected to the pigtail, crimp a male quick disconnect (measuring 22awg) at the other end of the 8.0" wire:

The completed wire set should look something like this:

(The above pic shows a wire set completed with the solder/heat-shrink tube method.)

Comment

Next, take the 3-pin socket and look at it from the top where the wedge bulb is inserted. Saw off the tab as depicted:

The reason you need to saw off these two tabs is because they will obstruct the socket from plugging into the taillight compartments securely. At this point, you may optionally use a file and file down the edges from the sawed-off point.

Next, remove the taillight access panel and remove the turn signal socket. Remove the socket / bulb from its plug. The plug should have two wires, green/yellow (right side) or green/red (left side) along with a black ground wire. Pop off the retainer as you did with the salvaged plug using a probe or a small screwdriver:

Again, using the probe or small screw driver, maneuver both wires out of its retainer:

Next, remove your brake light bulb (outter lens), then remove the socket from its plug and examine the three wires. The black wire is the ground wire, the red/yellow wire is the parking light wire, and the white/black wire is the brake wire:

Using your wirestripper, strip a part of the red/yel wire as shown. Use the 22awg stripper and strip the wire carefully, you just need to expose the copper wires and that's it. Be careful NOT to cut the wire.

You can strip any red/yel wire from the taillight assembly as they are of the same function, but it is a generally a better idea to strip the red/yel wire from your brake lights (outter lens):

Next, take a T-Tap and place it over the stripped portion of the red/yel wire, then snap it shut (you may need to snap it with a pair of plier). Make sure you hear a click to ensure that it is properly secured onto the wire:

Comment

Working...
                              X