Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY : How to paint rocker cover

Howdy,

Yes I know, there are plenty of DIY's around for this but just shoosh up and read!

Tools :
    • Sand paper 400 grit
    • Degreaser
    • Engine Paint/Heat Proof Paint
    • masking tape
    • clean rags
    • wax and grease remover

For my DIY i chose this perfect example, filthy old 1L Suzuki Sierra cover.

This stuff is cheap and works really well, Found at your local supercheap

Clean and now ready for a sand.

Sand back the cover using 200-400 grit sandpaper. You wan't a finer sand paper so your finished product will be smooth, anything less will be to rough and not give it a nice smooth finish.

Once you have done that you will want to wipe down the entire thing with wax and grease remover, this will leave the surface ready for paint to stick.

Mask up what ever you don't want painted

Paint - Now some DIY's and people say that you need to primer this and lalal. Well personally I've never primered rocker covers or other metal objects and have been fine but if you are one of those people then I'd suggest using an etch primer. So long is the surface is scuffed up and clean the paint will stick fine.

My weapon of choice is 3M Engine enamel.

First coat
    Your first coat you want to be very thin, and very little. Most people attack it with a thick layer of paint straight up. WRONG First coat should be as pictured, not completely covered and very thin, this allows the paint to stick and assuring your next coat will stick also.

Allow 5-10mins for drying pending on ambient temperature.

2nd coat, you can apply a thicker coat covering all metal surface, not too thick as you don't want runs.

Allow 10-20 mins to dry pending on ambient temperature.

3rd coat, same as the 2nd, this should be your last coat but a 4th won't do any harm either.

OPTIONAL :
    Clear coat : Generally if you want to keep the paint finish glossy you should apply a clear coat, If not over time it will dull and become a satin/matte finish.
    In this case I would use a ENAMEL clear coat. If you are using acrylic paint then use and ACRYLIC clear coat. The 2 can NOT mix. Be sure to use a well branded clear coat and not cheap $hit. The cheap clear coats tend to turn yellow over time. (true story)
    in this case, this is for a $hitty farm car so I really don't care if it turns matte so no clear coat for mine.

What you're finished project should look like, no runs, no smudges no imperfections.

OPTIONAL STEP :
    Finishing touches like this really make the job stand out.
    There are many ways to get the letters/numbers back to metal. Some sand, some file, some scrape.

The easiest way I have found is :
    Whilst the paint is still curing and is touch dry get a blade and scrape off layers of paint, this will leave you with a thin layer of paint and will look like the picture of the first coat.
    Get a rag and tip some paint thinner/white spirits, nail polish remover onto the rag.
    With your finger in the rag run over and scrubb the letter/numbers carefully without touching anything else, this will remove that thin layer and take it back to metal.
    You can also just steal your mums nail polish remover and cotton buds and use that.
    It should look like this.

Job done
    S2000
    WSID : TBA
    Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
    Smooth As Detailing
    Incar Racing

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Nice work! I added it to the DIY index thread. Do you have any experience using wrinkle finish paint? Any tips if so?

Comment

Awesome DIY!

As above how's the experience for wrinkle? My main concern is a lot of people suggest baking it, and as most of us use our ovens for food most people don't really want to do that.

Comment

Thanks guys, ChargeR can you also add my DIY on DC5 wiper delete to that if you haven't already.

I have painted my own rocker cover with Wrinkle paint.
          I myself could not put mine in the oven to bake (wouldn't fit) so i used a mixture of a heater and hair dryer which works well but in some places came patchy and not wrinkle.

With the wrinkle paint you can not get the same amount of texture and depth in the wrinkle as OEM. Not that im aware of anyway unless someone can prove and show otherwise from a can.

It also takes a long time to set and dry, I must admit I did do it on a colder day, but after 24 hrs or drying it was still very fragile.

I want to dry doing another one and then after a few hours infront of a heater put it back on the car and let the engine heat bake the cover
          Last edited by Flippit; 24-04-12, 02:20 PM.
          S2000
          WSID : TBA
          Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
          Smooth As Detailing
          Incar Racing

Comment

that looks really good

Comment

"Found at your local supercheap"

cheap advertising :P
              Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
              Flickr
              my car blog - Have a read
              my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

Looks ridiculously good Thanks!

Comment

hey flippit got a link to your wiper delete diy thread??

Comment

Damn.. Very good job on that!
                    Next time try get those dotty feeling ones

Comment

Awesome tutorial.
                      I wonder how that would look on a dc5r!?

Comment

Working...
                      X