Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QLD] ClubITR - Eat, Drive, Chat 4/3/2012

Great meet, even with the small numbers

As usual, always good to have a chat to Warwick and Stephen, and it was good to see old faces with Vincent and Rixsy.

Plenty of talking and driving went on... even with a little bit of car swapping.

Stephen and his younger brother took most of the pictures, so I'll wait till they get them up. I'll write a driver "review" of Vincent's "Stock" DC5R, and Warwicks Turbo DC5R shortly.

Thanks to Robi for another meet, was good to get a close and personal feel of smaller numbers. Very intresting to chat and feel differances in set ups of the same car! Great to drive the animal that is 45set.
    Shame about the rain on the way up but the return run was loads of fun.Look forward to some pics and "reviews". Hope all had fun! I DID!!

Comment

Awesome meet considering the numbers. Route was good, open roads for playing around and also great to meet Vincent and Rixsy! Photos are currently being transferred to my computer and then will upload them up to photobucket. So I reckon tomorrow night I should have all of them up.

Comment

Thanks for organising the meet (although i dont know if i say that with 100% enthusiasm - prob created more probs for me in the future lol!). Nice to meet new faces and cant wait to see the pics. Keep us in the loop with the scene as us oldies should leave home more often for FUN!

Comment

So I got to drive two other cars today
          - Vincent's DC5R
          - Warwick DC5R

- Vincent's car
          I've known of Vincent's car since I first bought my car almost 6 years ago. Vincent's main goal with the car was to make a car that was capable of track work, but was still easy and hassle free to drive on the street, he has achieved this very well. In the twisties, it's VERY capable. Watching Vincent wrestle the car through a hairpin while in the passenger seat, you can tell that the car is set up to his exact liking. The back end has a little bit of slip, and this is how he likes it.

Basically the mods on the car are mainly suspension with coilovers and massive Endless callipers (4 or 6 piston... I can't remember) biting down on 2 piece rotors (Stock sizes)... and actually still uses 16's! One thing I really wanted to "test" was the callipers, as I'm still running stock brakes on my car. There was a massive difference with them. I obviously didn't drive the car hard into corners, but you could brake A LOT later, and it made me feel a lot more confident going into corners.

- Warwick's Car
          What can I say... it's a mint CW DC5R, stable kit, Brembos... basically epitomises JDM, or what I would view as a "Wangan" racer... oh... and it has a turbo. Like Vincent's car, this car has been getting about the Brisbane scene for a while (With the previous owner before Warwick also living in Brisbane).

Now I really wanted to drive this to see how it would compare to my car. K24 vs Turbo K20. Now straight up, the car has NO lag at all. It makes full boost (10PSI) at 2.5k RPM, and is just a pleasure to drive. Power delivery was actually rather similar to the K24, in that there was power across the entire power band. I really enjoyed driving it... except for the suspension being a bit too bounchy for my liking... but with Warwick's plans, this should be fixed shortly. If we were to race, the turbo would probably win, as it just feels like it has a little bit more top end. But I was actually amazed how how... comfortable the car was (One of Warwick's goals with the car). It runs a 3' exhaust, and is really quiet. It runs 18's, but is really smooth on the road. Basically, if I had to choose driving my car or Warwick's as a daily... Warwick's hands down!

It was great to have a chance to drive both the cars, and it just shows that everyone builds their car to their own liking, and they are never ending builds. Before today, Warwick had already planned some further suspension mods, and Vincent had planned nothing... but after driving the K24... I can't guarantee that anymore Both Vincent and Warwick drove my car, and both agreed it was loud, low, stiff, and you felt everything in the road through the steering wheel and pedals... both agreed that it felt like a race car would.

Guys, again, thanks for letting me drive your cars, and hopefully the next meet might get a few more people attending.
          Last edited by 45SET; 04-03-12, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, Sorry I couldnt make it, worked Future, woke up at 2pm on Sunday lol!

Very jealous that you guys got to swap cars, would've loved to see how some of those drove! Ill make sure I'm at the next meet!

Comment

Sounded like fun. What route up the mountains did you take?

Comment

Originally posted by mattatnoosa View Post
                Hey guys, Sorry I couldnt make it, worked Future, woke up at 2pm on Sunday lol!

Very jealous that you guys got to swap cars, would've loved to see how some of those drove! Ill make sure I'm at the next meet!
                I wouldn't mind driving a S2k. Stephen went for a happy run with Vincent, and I had one of Stephen's passengers for part of the run... he can confirm that we were all driving very slowly...

Originally posted by TOU93 View Post
                Sounded like fun. What route up the mountains did you take?
                Ended up going up Springbrook, then going back down into Nerang... basically Route A-B, then B-C as per your PM the other day. The coast side was raining, but the Western side was actually really dry.

Comment

Where are the photos??!

I want to see this turbo you talk about.
                  ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                    Where are the photos??!

I want to see this turbo you talk about.
                    Photos are coming tonight. Just finished uploading 1.5gb of photos. I might link them over during my marketing lecture if it's something I've learnt already.

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
                      I wouldn't mind driving a S2k. Stephen went for a happy run with Vincent, and I had one of Stephen's passengers for part of the run... he can confirm that we were all driving very slowly...
                      hahaha, I'd be so nervous with someone driving the s2k...since I've owned no-one other than me has even sat in the drivers seat lol... clutch is epic slipping now though... more expense..
                      Last edited by felixR; 05-03-12, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattatnoosa View Post
                        hahaha, I'd be so nervous with someone driving the s2k...since I've owned no-one other than me has even sat in the drivers seat lol... clutch is epic slipping now though... more expense..
                        You would of course be subsidies by being able to drive my car

Comment

Ok, there are some here but will finish the rest up later tonight.

Me and Robi on the way down to Robina premeet before we head on to Springbrook. We saw a pair of chasers go past us and exited off at Yatala.

Arrived at Robina Train Station and waited for Vincent and Warwick to appear.

Warwick arrived and then it was just Vincent and Rixsy to arrive.

About 15mins later Vincent and Rixsy had arrived and we started to decide what route we will head to.

We then proceeded our way to Sprinbrook Mountain, had a bit of fun on the way up until it started to get wet on the road and raining.

Comment

Vincent thanks for sharing your vast knowledge in suspension and braking, i found it very intresting and u helped me confirm a fue thoughts i had being having. Rixsy was great to meet u and look forward to see the type s next time.

Stephen i was watching you driving line through the corners and it was nice and smooth and i was very suprise how well in straight line that car goes! to overtake you was more of an effort than i thought i would need and i think robi may have been in the same boat. great driving!

After driving Robi's car both vincent and i loved the super strong low and mid range power and when you change gear it was all there again and again. k24 in an intrega is a future classic honda like swapping d16 to b16/b18.I now know what the fuss is all about, and its good.Thanks for the drive Robi.

Comment

Ok continuing on the journey ...

So we arrived at the local Springbrook cafe and just chatted abit before we ended up going inside for lunch.

This cafe we went to was really nice environment and lovely food. I got a steak sandwich and really underestimated the size, when I got it, it was definitely huge though I managed to eat all of it. All the others looked very nice and scrumptious. Recommended cafe for sure!

A bit of the view from Springbrook, it was raining and foggy but still nice.

We then proceeded back down the mountain and stopped at an intersection where we just chilled, chat and had test drives of each others car. Definitely something different compared to other meets because of a small group.

Here we started with Robi's K24 DC5R

Then some bikes appeared and just chilled there as well, apparently there was supposed to be some kind of burnout session on the weekends, considering the amount of rubber on the side of the road.

Then Vincent's well balanced DC5R, it was amazing fast around the corners. His technique is similar to race drivers for sure.

Gathered back up for more chatting!

And then it was Warwick Turbo DC5R test piloting.

We then finished up and started to move further on.

Comment

Working...
                              X