e240 - Building an IPRA racer *Blog*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e240 - Building an IPRA racer *Blog*

Coming out of the Supersprint Class 3B Championship win in 2008, we struggled abit with the 2009 season due to work and family committments. We didn't really put in the effort this year that would be required to stay at the top.

The mid year break and incident with our car meant that we could sit down and re-assess where we really want to be in terms of racing. A key goal is that I can further develop myself as a driver. This was one of the key reasons that we decided not to continue with the 2009 Supersprint Season and re-allocate our resources to achieve a longer term goal.

It is at this time, we can now reveal the longer term plans to go into IPRA racing in 2010 - Proper Door to Door racing. While this journey has been undertaken by many in the past, I hope, with this thread and also in my Blog to chronical and share with members of this community our journey and trials as we prepare ourselves and our car.

As we're building this in our spare time and to a very strict budget - I strongly welcome thoughts and opinions from members on the development of the car.

What is IPRA?
    "Improved Production, formerly known as 3J Club Cars, is the fastest growing category of circuit racing in Australia. It is classified by CAMS as category 3J.

An Improved Production car is loosely based on a modified road car, and is made popular by the fact that it is fast and relatively inexpensive, as far as race cars go. Starting out with a production body shell, and then carrying out substantial modifications to engines, brakes and suspension, has proven popular both with beginners to the sport and more experienced competitors. You are allowed to fit a bigger engine from the same manufacturer as the body shell. It can be a twin cam, or a turbo (with a restrictor), or a bridge or peripheral port in the case of a Mazda, depending on the model.

You can lower the car to within 100mm of the ground, excluding the exhaust, and can change springs, shocks, sway bars and fit urethane bushes. Wheel width can be increased to 7inches for a car over 3 Litres in capacity. Brakes can be anything you like but must be dual circuit, you can use close ratio gear boxes with a maximum of five forward gears, and locker or limited slip diffs are allowed. You are allowed to fit flares, and front and rear spoilers of limited sizes.

Improved Production race cars also use a control tyre which is the Yokohama A048R. The variety of cars and the low cost make it a very accessible category, ideal for drivers starting their racing career."
    Last edited by e240; 03-08-09, 10:06 AM.
    MFactory Performance Products

Follow my journey to Superlap at: http://nextstopsuperlap.blogspot.com.au/

Reserve for Update

Comment

Interesting!

Can't wait to see the progress Leonard.

Comment

Neither can I! LOL

Comment

That's awesome mate. I can't wait to see it. My original goal was for IPRA but rules were too tight for what J's wanted to see on track. I'm still looking at racing options for the car because that's where my heart is.

Good luck with it!!!

Comment

Good news! All the best!!
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

Awesome news leonard
              CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                That's awesome mate. I can't wait to see it. My original goal was for IPRA but rules were too tight for what J's wanted to see on track. I'm still looking at racing options for the car because that's where my heart is.

Good luck with it!!!
                Hey man, Thanks - it will be a slow-ish build as we're going to try and do almost everything ourselves.

You should consider Supersprints to start? They're abit more relaxed on rules which could suite your car?

Comment

Thanks guys...I'm so excited I can't work..

Comment

Awesome Leonard, glad to see that you're getting back out there - and getting serious!
                    Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
                    In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

Nice goal. So much inspiration around here!

Comment

Great news, always good to see Honda's competing out on track.

Keep us posted on the changes/developments of the car and your experiences entering into door to door racing, as opposed to your super sprints experience.

Comment

Working...
                        X