No announcement yet.

♦ ♦ ChargeR's DC5R Blog ♦ ♦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update, i never really noticed it before but i think that the wandering steering centre is a common problem with our cars. Perhaps you should machine yourself some "rigid collars" or buy the overprices spoon ones and see if the shifting subframe is the culprit

Comment

Interesting update Tom?
      In regards to brake pads......I myself have had a not so good experience with Project Mu pads a few years back.
      I had NS on front & B spec rear, these were ment for an upcomimg track day at the time.
      I went up to GOR for a bit of spirited driving (test them out) only to get brake fade like you would not believe....FARK!
      Since then I’ve been using Feredo 2500 and have never had brake fade again.

BTW.....I want to test that track

Comment

Looking good boss! Giving the TE's a rest?

Comment

Great write up as always Tom and congrats on the good time for getting back to the DC5R after sometime.....looking forward to see you make some impressive time in Winton in any upcoming events.......

Originally posted by maracer View Post
          Interesting update Tom?
          In regards to brake pads......I myself have had a not so good experience with Project Mu pads a few years back.
          I had NS on front & B spec rear, these were ment for an upcomimg track day at the time.
          I went up to GOR for a bit of spirited driving (test them out) only to get brake fade like you would not believe....FARK!

Mario....I reckon different pad of the project Mu did have brake fade coz when I was using the HC Titan from Project Mu I had no problem at all......that was the set I made the 1:38s.......maybe you can try some more aggressive pads next time....lol......it bite like no tomorrow.....~!
          Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
          1)ブレーキを踏む
          2)クラッチを切る
          3)シフトダウンしなから、
            アクセルをぶかす
          4)クラッチをつなぐ
          :blah:
          インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
          人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Just read this thread entirely, took me the good side of an hour but an hour well spent none the less.

I love the amount of detail and time you have spent with your suspension/wheel setup. I wish i knew half the amount of information compared to you! Your DC5R looks amazing, and must drive amazingly as well. Maybe one day i'll see you at Winton EXE days or something similar. Best of luck with the car in the future. I'll be sure you continue coming back to this thread!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, I am still a little disappointed that I am not really doing any more work to the Integra. Maybe in a decade or two I will get another one and fix it up a bit and end up like the old guys we see at the track now in their RX3s and Toranas and the like .

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
              Nice update dude, good to see that you're tracking the Milano Red beast again. Going to take it up to Winton sometime by any chance?
              Thanks! I have an arrangement in the works to store the car undercover somewhere here, so I might bring it out to Winton sometime this year.

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
              Don't say that! Im lucky i didn't lose the drivers side rear after my replica wing snapped lol.. Will tell ya the story next time i see ya... Was lucky big time...

Will have to get you show me some good tips at Winton at the next event you attend if you ever do go up again!

Sucks about your brakes and gearbox hopefully can be fixed though....
              I can give you some basic pointers, but that is about it, I have never been much of a driver. Not too worried about the gearbox or the brakes, everything can be fixed and the gearbox will hold together for a while yet even if I have to double clutch it haha.

Originally posted by Norm View Post
              Tom, seeing your red beast on the track in that photo just demands authority. Great shot and always a pleasure to read your updates.
              Thanks Norm. Photos are courtesy of me spraying and praying with my brother's DSLR . Note the lack of side shot showing the charcoal/brake dust finish front wheels.

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
              tom, potentially you may have somewhere to store it however, currently all spots are full we'll work something out wanna see that beast up at winton!
              Thanks boss, keep it in mind . You are welcome to a ride in the car if I head up to Winton.

Originally posted by stevan View Post
              Thanks for the update, i never really noticed it before but i think that the wandering steering centre is a common problem with our cars. Perhaps you should machine yourself some "rigid collars" or buy the overprices spoon ones and see if the shifting subframe is the culprit
              I am more hoping it is the steering rack just because I already have the bits to fix it! Also Mugen > Spoon and Mugen make rack bushes but no rigid collars, so that must mean something.

Originally posted by maracer View Post
              Interesting update Tom?

Thanks Mario. As Eddie says the pads weren't a problem, they are the same compount that I have used multiple sets of with no problems. The problem was somewhere in the hydraulics most likely, the only alternative I could think of was wheel bearing play causing pad kickback.

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
              Looking good boss! Giving the TE's a rest?
              Thanks big boss. The TEs still have my Z1 street tyres on them .

Originally posted by air23box View Post
              Great write up as always Tom and congrats on the good time for getting back to the DC5R after sometime.....looking forward to see you make some impressive time in Winton in any upcoming events.......
              Thanks. I definitely need to get back to Winton, there is a certain time goal that I haven't reached yet. I think you know which .

Originally posted by rookie View Post
              Just read this thread entirely, took me the good side of an hour but an hour well spent none the less.

I love the amount of detail and time you have spent with your suspension/wheel setup. I wish i knew half the amount of information compared to you! Your DC5R looks amazing, and must drive amazingly as well. Maybe one day i'll see you at Winton EXE days or something similar. Best of luck with the car in the future. I'll be sure you continue coming back to this thread!
              Thanks for your comments, I have done my best to document a fair few of the things I have done. There is some stealthy stuff that isn't documented though .

Hope to see you at Winton too!
              Last edited by ChargeR; 03-02-12, 01:33 PM.

Comment

If your wanting store the DC5 somewhere i can recommend you where i kept mine for 6 months hassle free just chuck me a PM.
                Last edited by 45SET; 05-02-12, 09:05 AM.

Comment

did you have to quote his post?

Tom, its great to see you back in the DC5.
                  I know what you mean when comparing the EF8 to the DC5.
                  They are two very different cars to drive.

Comment

It's been a long time between drinks for my car, but it is time it came out of hiding. I am heading up to Winton in a fortnight and will be running the Integra for a few laps to see if it's still got it. The first of the parts I needed came in today:

The car is now safely tucked up in my garage too. Also on the agenda is to rebuild all the calipers again, install my Mugen steering rack bushes, a wheel alignment and a fresh fluids.

Comment

The beast returns
                      1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
                      1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
                      2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
                      F1 Nut

Comment

BBQ @ Tom's now!

Comment

ooooo Here we go... Will be good to see it in action...

Comment

nice...nice...

Comment

The beast is back!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Maintenance
                                I got a little work done on the car yesterday and today. I installed my Mugen steering rack bushes and it was every bit as difficult as I thought it would be, also rebuilt both front calipers, installed my new front brake lines, bled the brakes, and changed the gearbox oil to OEM MTF after not really liking the Red Line MTL. Here are some pictures:

The rack removed from the car:

The Mugen steering rack bushes side by side with the OEM ones. The Mugen ones are a very hard plastic, whereas the OEM ones are very soft rubber.

All the bits of the calipers disassembled and cleaned ready to go back together.

The freshly rebuilt calipers installed along with the new front brake lines. The fitment on the Stoptech lines was quite good.

The result of all this is relatively unchanged pedal feel, though I am going to give the brakes another bleed after driving the car and engaging ABS as I think there might be a bit of air trapped somewhere. Failing that I have another idea on a potential issue. Impressions on the steering rack bushes to follow after Winton, but based on the significant difference in hardness between them and the OEM ones I am hoping for a perceptible difference.

All that remains now before Winton is a wheel alignment at Techsport next Saturday, some fresh Red Line 10W-40 for the motor and more diagnosis of the suspiciously soft brake pedal.

Comment

Working...
                                X