No announcement yet.

♦ ♦ ChargeR's DC5R Blog ♦ ♦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're looking for lighter then stainless you could try aluminium since it'd be alot cheaper then titanium i'm guessing (byp did this) but i'm unsure on the lifespan of it through heat cycles.

How are you getting your car to sydney? Driving up?

Comment

Originally posted by lil_foy View Post
      If you're looking for lighter then stainless you could try aluminium since it'd be alot cheaper then titanium i'm guessing (byp did this) but i'm unsure on the lifespan of it through heat cycles.

How are you getting your car to sydney? Driving up?
      I was thinking Titanium, money isn't really an issue I am not a bang for buck kinda guy. I usually end up with minimal bang for maximum buck.

Yeah I will be driving up. I am coming over to Melbourne on the Spirit of Tasmania on the night of Wednesday the 19th and then driving up to Sydney the day after. Then straight after Superlap I am driving back down south to Winton for a track day on the 23rd. Should be fun.

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
      Looks like you succumbed to a set of vanilla headers!

Should tune your Kpro while ur still in Tassie and do some 6th data log runs!
      The top of 6th gear is frowned upon even in Tasmania, we may not have much but the po po here can still operate a radar gun . Yes I succumbed to the easy header route, but maybe one day I will upgrade .

Originally posted by 03DC5R View Post
      unfortunately i dont have any pics of the exhauste...its been on my car for like 2 years now...will take pics next time its up on a hoist lol
      No worries champ. Would be nice to see pics so then I can take it to wherever I get mine done and say "make it look like this" .

Comment

Nice Progress Tom. We'll catch up at Superlap

If you need anything, let me know
        BYP Racing & Developments
        Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
        STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
          I was thinking Titanium, money isn't really an issue I am not a bang for buck kinda guy. I usually end up with minimal bang for maximum buck.

Yeah I will be driving up. I am coming over to Melbourne on the Spirit of Tasmania on the night of Wednesday the 19th and then driving up to Sydney the day after. Then straight after Superlap I am driving back down south to Winton for a track day on the 23rd. Should be fun.
          Yeah, just comes down to if you want something off the shelf or not (i'm sure there is something that will suit though)

Thats going to be a huge drive!!! Brisbane -> sydney is bad enough for me.
          Are you going to go to the practise day the day before at all?

Comment

Originally posted by lil_foy View Post
            Yeah, just comes down to if you want something off the shelf or not (i'm sure there is something that will suit though)

Thats going to be a huge drive!!! Brisbane -> sydney is bad enough for me.
            Are you going to go to the practise day the day before at all?
            Yeah I am going to be quite wrecked after all the driving, but with any luck one of my pit crew will do a shift at the wheel to let me have a kip on the way down to Winton. Won't be able to make the practice day unfortunately, couldn't take the extra time off work and I was a little wary of 4 days of track use in a row with minimal maintenance.

Originally posted by benson View Post
            Nice Progress Tom. We'll catch up at Superlap

If you need anything, let me know
            Thanks Benson. Looking forward to seeing what you and your EG can do!

Comment

More and more springs

So as I mentioned earlier, the significant thickness of the Todd's caster adjustable top mounts made my car much higher than I desired. So I contacted my friendly local parts importer and arranged for a solution and also impulse bought a couple of other things. The small box of joy turned up today.

Box

Open Box

New front springs: 14kg/mm 5" 65mm ID

New rear springs: 28kg/mm 6" 65mm ID

All my new acquisitions

The 5" springs are the same rate as what I am currently using but shorter and will allow me to lower the front of the car a little more and also compensate for the 5mm of thickness of the thrust bearing and races that I am going to fit. Swift has only recently released their range of 5" springs which worked out perfectly for me . I will probably run the front springs slightly loose with no preload to gain a few mm of droop travel and a little more low, as my bump travel is limited by the tyres hitting the chassis and a bit more droop travel probably won't hurt.

The 28kg/mm are to replace my existing 24kg/mm rear springs for a little more overall roll stiffness and possibly get the rear end a bit more lively . A little excessive perhaps but a few different springs will come in handy for tuning in the future and they were cheap second hand. I will fit these springs tomorrow night and get an alignment on Friday and then the car is effectively ready. I am trying to avoid any last minute antics since I will be leaving next Wednesday evening.

The boss kit is to fit my 350mm deep corn to my daily .
              Last edited by ChargeR; 11-05-10, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Holy shit, 28kg. Now that's hardcore! Pics up with them in, along with the sexy new steering wheel. Looking forward to see what this car can do!
                DC5S

Comment

28kg?? WOW WOW!!... did you have the 24kg ever on the fronts?
                  Built. Tuned. Driven
                  Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

full of surprises!
                    Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                    STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Originally posted by vuongster View Post
                      Holy shit, 28kg. Now that's hardcore! Pics up with them in, along with the sexy new steering wheel. Looking forward to see what this car can do!
                      Car will look the same as it does now just a touch lower . And more uncomfortable . I am looking forward to seeing what it will do too. I just hope it doesn't break. I will be a long way from home.

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
                      28kg?? WOW WOW!!... did you have the 24kg ever on the fronts?
                      Nah this is only my second spring change, 24kg/mm at the front would be absurd even for me given the Macpherson strut front layout, it would be like using something like 40kg/mm on a double wishbone honda . My original setup was 10/24 then I went to 14/24 when I went staggered. Probably preferred the 10kg front springs for balance but the car turns in much more crisply on the 14kg/mm front springs and is easier to handle. Taking into account the weird DC5 rear suspension design it isn't that stiff .

Originally posted by benson View Post
                      full of surprises!
                      LOL they are just springs, not quite as surprising as fitting a supercharger setup a week and a bit before the competition . I am keen to see the dyno numbers your car pulls!

Comment

i wish i was like you
                        Blaze Orange

Comment

Originally posted by TypeSexy View Post
                          i wish i was like you
                          Me too.

Another spring change

Last night I got a chance to fit the new springs I had acquired as mentioned above, along with the thrust bearings that I already had, and I also had to make a small modification to the shaft of my dampers. I started with the rears as it was the easiest job, popped the coilovers out and took the top mounts off and put the new springs on. I then lowered them by around 4mm to compensate for the stiffer spring because I wanted to achieve roughly the same ride height. This was just a rough guess that turned out to be pretty accurate. Pictured below are the dampers out of the car and the new and old springs side by side.

Getting on to the front end I had to fit the front springs, re-adjust the caster and camber on the plates as they had slipped from the settings I initially set them at. Hopefully they will stay put this time. I also had to cut the thread further down on the top of the damper shaft as I was having an issue where the shoulder nuts (pictured below) were bottoming out on the limited thread on the top of the Mugen dampers. So I was having to add a number of washers between the upper spring perch and the spherical to avoid this resulting in roughly 6mm more ride height, which is something I could do without. To rectify the situation I purchasted myself an M12x1.25 die and handle and put the damper in a vice and went to work, pictured below. The result is shown at the bottom with the top of the damper stud just slightly protruding from the shoulder nut which is ideal.

Below you can see the completed strut with the thrust bearings and races in place, which have provided me with quiet, spring popping noise free motoring so far. I am unsure of how well they will stand up to road use once they get a bit dirty and manky though. And at the bottom is the car done, basically the same as before but around 5mm lower at the front and sprung in a more manly fashion. Initial driving impressions from the change of front sway bar and rear springs are that the car is a little more crisp but I won't be able to full judge it until I hit the track. Couldn't tell the difference in ride comfort but perhaps I have been desensitized

Comment

Updates never disappoint. Looking the business as always. Wealth of information in the build.
                            DC5S

Comment

You are so pro man. Really looking forward to seeing how it pans out in a weeks time
                              sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

impressive... i need mentors like u.
                                bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Working...
                                X