Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B16 EK Nugget

Hi Everyone.

Having always been a "Nissan guy" I never would have pictured myself putting up a build thread on a Honda forum
    Previous cars have been an R34 Skyline, S15 Silvia & even a short stint in a VW Scirocco R.....until I realised that fancy new cars suck & old 90's cars are awesome. That's how I ended up owning a Honda.

Being in my late 20's, I decided it was time to start being "responsible" & not go back to constantly breaking, wallet emptying SR20's.
    A friend suggested a Civic as they're obviously cheap to buy, cheap to maintain & still good fun (he's also had Civics & an S2K before so maybe he was a little biased haha)

I ended up finding and purchasing this in March last year:

99 EM1, in what was pretty awesome condition for it's age.

So I'm going to skip ahead here to avoid the worlds longest first post & do my best to compress the past 12 months.
    First off, the poor EM1 ended up in an accident & written off But this is also when the bug to hit the track started.
    I kept the wreck of the EM1 & then bought this a few days later:

99 EK1, conveniently in the same colour.

The strip-down of the crashed EM1 started almost immediately.
    As you can see in this photo I'd already started modding it - I'll add a mod list to the second post.

It wasn't long until we got to this point:

Stripped the head down as we had to replace the lost motion assembly (was rattling away in the EM1)

aaaaand reassembled.
    fitted it with:
    Skunk2 LMA
    Skunk2 Billet cam seal
    Skunk2 Thermal intake manifold gasket
    Skunk2 Exhaust manfiold gasket
    Exedy HD Clutch
    Exedy Lightened Flywheel
    Braided Clutch Line
    Hardrace Engine/Transmission Mounts
    B&M Short shifter
    Energy Suspension shifter bushes
    Every other gasket/seal on the engine was replaced with OEM Honda, as well as a new timing belt, water pump, drive belts etc.
    Painted a bunch of brackets, painted the rocker cover Midnight Purple in homage to my Nissan roots :P
    There's probably a bunch of stuff we did that I have forgotton, but you get the idea!

Then soon enough surgery began!

That's Nik in that photo, he's the mechanical GENIUS behind everything with this car

Stripped the inside as we were relocating the battery & fuse box, I wanted to use as much of the EM1 interior as possible (much better condition) & also we had to switch over the power windows & looms etc

I won't bore you with all the details, B-swaps in Civics are nothing new haha
    Finished product after the swap:

After all that I didn't do much to the car for a few months, as the cost of everything added up quick!
    The swap happened around August last year, In October I went up to Winton with some friends as one of them was doing his first track day in his Chaser.
    This got me motivated again as I so badly want to get out there!

The next target was to make the March Nugnats day, again I just ended up being a spectator of a few friends as I had a wild summer & also moved house, lost motivation for the Civic etc etc Insert more excuses.
    Got super motivated from once again being a spectator.
    I've had an ASR rear brace in my cupboard for a long time, so purchased Hardrace links & bushes f&r, just need new FLCA's as I didn't grab them off the EM1 (had no idea they were different!)
    Also had my guards prematurely taken care of by Ashneel at 612.

& that's basically where I'm at now.
    Just the big ticket items of Coilovers, wheels & tyres to go mainly.
    Will be looking at fitting the car out with the rest of the hardrace arms, purely for the bushing replacement that comes with it more than anything.
    Hopefully see some of you guys at the next Nugnat or EXE day.....IF I finally make it haha!

Mod List

Engine:

EM1 B16A2
    Injen Long Ram Intake
    EK9 Fuel rail
    Koyo Radiator
    Hardrace Engine Mounts

Drivetrain:
    EM1 S4C Gearbox
    B&M Short Shifter
    Energy Suspension Shifter bushes
    Exedy HD Clutch
    Exedy Lightened Flywheel
    Chasebays Braided Clutch Line

Suspension:
    Voston Mach 1 Coilovers (F18kg R7kg)
    EM1 Front Strut Brace
    EM1 Front Sway Bar
    EM1 Rear Sway Bar
    Hardrace Front & Rear Sway Bar Bushes
    Hardrace Front & Rear Sway Bar End Links
    Hardrace Front LCA's
    Hardrace Rear LCA's
    ASR Rear Subframe Brace

Brakes:
    EK9 Brake Master Cylinder
    EK9 Brake Booster
    HEL Braided Brake lines
    EM1 262mm Front Calipers
    EM1 242mm Rear Calipers
    Intima SR Pads Front & Rear
    DBA T2 Rotors Front & Rear
    Motul RBF600 Fluid

Wheels/Tyres:
    OEM EK4 Wheels
    Enkei RPF1 (15x8+28)
    Hankook RS4 (225/45/15)

Interior:
    AP1 S2000 Steering Wheel
    EM1 Cluster
    Ark Design MFD
    Skunk2 Shift Knob
    Honed Extinguisher Mount
    Bride Brix Drivers Seat
    Bride MO Drivers Rail

Exterior:
    EK9/EM1 Front Lip
    EK9/EM1 Front Grill
    EK9 DIY Headlights with city light mod
    EK9/EM1 Side Skirts & Side trims
    EK9 Rear Lip
    EK9 Rear Wing
    Last edited by LindsayPee; 29-05-19, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Always great to see Best16s in EKs!
      1997 Honda Civic EK4
      Winton - 1:34.94
      Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
      Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
      Wakefield - 1:10.16
      Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
        Always great to see Best16s in EKs!
        1.6 of the finest Honda litres!
        I've put my entry in for EXE, so if I'm accepted I'll come & introduce myself & pick your brain on how to drive these things around Winton [emoji23]

Comment

Always looking to tidy up little things here & then when I get the chance.
          Gave the taillights a restore with the leftovers from a headlight kit I had.

Can also see the totally horrendous plasti-dip on the roof I did over easter to cover the failed cleared coat.....just a temporary until I can be assed wrapping it with vinyl or getting it repainted.

Ordered Coilovers, was pretty bummed to learn that MCA discontinued the Blue series as they suited my more budget oriented build of this car.
          Have taken a gamble on the new Voston Coilovers offered by MCA which seem in one way/shape/form to be a replacement for the blues.
          Also on the shopping list was a new battery, went with the Fullriver HC20, my battery has been relocated to the boot so a wet cell isn't exactly safe/healthy to have in there & I cbf'd boxing & venting it which I think is a requirement on track.
          Can anyone tell me if a dry cell like the HC20 still needs to be boxed & if I need to add a battery location sticker seeing as it's not in the bay?

Comment

HC20 is fine and doesn't need to be boxed. It's completely sealed. They're good batteries so good choice! Battery sticker not needed unless running in cams events where the regs stipulate you need battery and tow point stickers etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Todd! I had a feeling that was the case but better to be sure
              I also remember your thread from JDMST days, my Username was [RAWWR] & I had the build thread of the Pewter S15 with white regamasters if that rings a bell haha

Comment

Unfortunately have been placed on the waiting list for the Sunday EXE day in June, quite low though so hopefully there's some withdrawals :P
                Will be pushing to have the car ready by the date just in case!

Coilovers turned up on Friday so installed them over the weekend.

Sitting at a much nicer height

Initial thoughts are they are quite similar in feel to a friends MCA Blues which is no real surprise.
                As these are not setup by MCA prior to shipping, correct base height & shock length needs to be done, but they give you the measurements & it's a couple mins job per corner.
                Have them set on MCA's recommended damper settings which are a bit soft for my liking so will wait for the springs to settle, adjust height if necessary & then stiffen them up.
                Overall pretty happy with them, I've only had coilovers in my previous S15 which were custom Silkroad's, for about half the price these are great bang for buck!

Comment

Battery showed up, so small!

When this nugget was getting the roadworthy done by the previous owner, they had to put a new rear muffler on, not only was the pipe diameter even smaller than stock...but the welding & crush bends were so poorly done that once I had lowered it last weekend, the pipe fouled on the LCA :/

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:
                  (Post a trip to the wreckers)

One of the things I love the most about this little car is the ability to head to the wreckers & pay f*ck all for whatever I need
                  $30 for a stock axle-back section, so good.

Installed the battery so I now no longer breathe in toxic gases or have to worry about it leaking/burning a hole in my boot floor/getting covered in battery acid if someone runs up my ass lol

I do want to tidy this install up somewhat at a later date

It wouldn't be a Civic without a little rice mod, grabbed some extra taillight looms from the wreckers & modded rear lights (well Nik did for me haha) to light up the bottom strip like EK9 rear lights.

Got my email acceptance this morning for EXE Winton on Queens Birthday weekend, so I have less than a month to sort out wheels/tyres & some other bits & pieces....fun times!

Comment

Ran hotboi for a few days with a friends set of BBS RS (15x7.5+19 front, 15x7+25 rear - 195/55/15) so I could hard park at Sakura Picnic.

Quickly decided the hotboi civic life just wasn't for me haha!

Pulled up some of the sound deadening from the boot, was quite a bit of moisture underneath which made it super easy to lift off by hand & flat blade screwdriver but also means there's quite a bit of surface rust that I'll need to wire wheel/sand/paint in the near future.
                    Had me worried that water was getting into the boot but I got caught in that downpour sunday night whilst driving, checked the boot in the morning & no sign of water so must have had a leak in it's previous life?

Ordered wheels late last week which got delivered, just followed the crowd & got a set of 15x8 +28 RPF1's.

Have Hardrace front & rear LCA's on their way so I can mount up my sway bars & subframe brace.
                    less than 2 weeks until Winton & I still need to get tyres sorted, camber arms (precautionary so I don't ruin my day with tyre scrub) and an oil change.

Comment

Can't really go wrong with 15*8 RPF1s. What tyres are you putting on these wheels?
                      1997 Honda Civic EK4
                      Winton - 1:34.94
                      Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                      Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                      Wakefield - 1:10.16
                      Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Agreed, not all that much out there at a decent price in decent sizes hey.
                        Plus the silver on silver will be nice & low key too haha

225/45 RS4's seem pretty tried & true with this size wheel on Civic's so that was my plan. Guards are already rolled/pulled so hoping no clearance issues!

Comment

Tyres came:

Tyres fitted:

& voila:

To remove all chance of scrubbing on the track we smashed the rear bumper bolt as far back as possible, trimmed the front guard liners & relocated the front bumper bolt as far towards the front of the car as possible & removed a bunch of metal from the fenders that could even remotely possibly come close to the tyres haha
                          This plus having already rolled & pulled the guards has equalled zero scrub on the street.....win.

JDMYard were out of rear LCA's when I ordered them & the front LCA's (grinds my gears when things are listed but not in stock) so good chance they won't get here in time which is a bit disappointing, being a CXi base model it didn't come with a front sway bar from factory nor does it have the attachment points for the endlinks on the LCA so it's likely that I'll be doing the track day sway bar-less
                          Trying to look at it as a positive, suspension setup & alignments are where my interest is the most, so it will be cool to see how the car drives with nothing aside from a pretty basic wheel alignment & coilovers to the next track day which I'll have replaced all the arms/bushes & dialled in an aggressive-ish alignment.

Just an alignment & oil change to go then I'm all ready for Winton

Comment

Where to even start.
                            Winton was a success but also a massive disappointment.

The 4:00am wake-up & drive to the track was brutal but also kinda fun haha
                            Definitely made a rookie error & should have topped up the tank at Wallan, sitting on the hume at 110km/hr means sitting at 4000+rpm, used half a tank on the drive up :/

I'd had an alignment on the Friday:
                            Front camber: -1.5 (ish)
                            Front toe: 1.5mm total toe out
                            Rear camber: -1.0 (ish)
                            Rear toe: 0mm

Took a friend out in the first session to help me quell my nerves (my left leg was literally shaking whilst holding down the clutch waiting to head out onto the track lol) & to also give me some pointers about the track & talk me through some things.
                            Second session I went out alone to start putting into practice what he showed me, made a bunch of errors & mucked up lines/braking points on every hot lap but wasn't too worried as I was starting to feel comfortable behind the wheel which was my number 1 goal & had SO much fun
                            On my cool down lap at the end of the session I looked down at my dash to notice my speedo not working, 2secs later a check engine light & then had the engine power cutting in & out, barely made it back into the pits.
                            Found out I'd done a 1:53.4 which I was actually super stoked with for my first proper session but ultimately these issues ended my day basically at that point.
                            It was the 7.5a fuse for the alternator/speed sensor that kept popping, I got a lift into town to grab a bunch of spare fuses, we tried a few fixes from things that could have caused it (slightly loose positive battery terminal, loom in the engine bay not clipped in 100%) we wrapped everything in electrical tape & conduit when doing the engine swap so with the high likelihood that it's a shorting wire (the alternator itself is a brand new Bosch item installed 3 months ago) we will need to take off the intake manifold etc to gain access to go through all the wiring looking for damage.
                            Tried a bunch of times to head back out with the possible fixes but each time barely manged to complete an out lap before the fuse would blow again & i'd have to crawl to the pits.

Ultimately I was just frustrated/disappointed more than anything.

I put a lot of time/money into getting the car track-able, so to only get 1 real session for the day was a bitter pill to swallow.
                            With a 1:53 in my first proper session I felt there was every chance to crack into the 1:49's if I was able to drive most sessions over the course of the day.
                            Considering how basic the car was setup I feel like that would have been a massive achievement for me.

I luckily don't need a car day to day as I work in the city & live close to trains/trams so will look to fix the car next weekend.
                            My brake prop valve was seeping fluid as well so that's another item to replace asap.
                            I desperately want to get the sway bars on the car as the body roll with no bars at all was actually terrifying through the back section haha so hopefully JDMYard can hurry up & send those LCA's I ordered (was told they'd ship during the week but they didnt)
                            Felt like the car definitely needed some more camber, especially at the front, so front & rear camber arms are on the list too.

I'm planning on entering the NugNats day in October, so hopefully I get the opportunity to drive, improve & enjoy myself with the potential of nailing that goal of a 1:49.
                            The number one goal however will be to not go home like this:

(Thank god for friends with trailers)

& instead be able to do this all day:

Still a massively enjoyable day with great friends, EXE/Nugnats days are super great!

Comment

Good work on getting out there man.
                              Unfortunate about the issues but fix it and head back out!

Should look at doing h nats in September rather than waiting til October

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X