No announcement yet.

A new year and a new project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next piece of the puzzle for the mr2 is the inter cooler set up. This again is a cheap eBay universal kit. I was eyeing of a kit from Cx racing in the us but the fright was as much as the kit itself. Well it turned out the kit I got is exactly the cx racing kit I was chasing made by cx racing. Win at a cheaper price! It's a BIG water to air system rated for 1000hp air flow, much more than I need but it just means it will not break a sweat cooling the charge air. I also got a water tank/ice box that is 15L. The heat exchanger is also huge, half the size of the radiator itself. The inter cooler and ice box will be mounted in the boot. I am utilising the heater pipes in the centre of the car to run the hose from front to back of the car and the pump is mounting under the passenger head light. All this adds up to system that can take anything I can throw at it at any stage! Again the quality looks to be really good, some of this eBay stuff is surprising me.
    Attached Files

Comment

My progress has been quite slow of late partly due to a Fue factors. First was we were racing again with the super ute and there was a lot of changed that were made. We were given a great chance with Steve Richards driving for us and what a awesome guy on and off the track! The ute was strong except for a exhaust manifold that cracked and a eletronic waste gate that failed. That really hurt our weekend result but with fastest laps in three out four times out. Last to second buy 0.3 of a second was a hi-light. Second I have been helping out a friend building up a twin turbo lsx comaro. This is a very big dollar big power set up and now has to be on a trade stand for qld jamboree in a Fue weeks. I tend to put out people's work before my own plus I finally pulled the trigger on the turbo selection and am waiting for it to turn up. I have started to lay the engine and charge wiring in place. A 10 gal fuel cell is in awaiting a pump hanger and pumps. So sorry but progress is a little slow of late but should kick up a gear in a Fue weeks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Refitted the front bar on and trimmed it to fit. The pump is fitted to the inner front gard and lines are all plumbed to the rear of the car. Once the turbo rolls in I can finally position some things for final placement and start making forward progress. And a quick pic or two.
        Attached Files

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgafter a short delay my turbo rolled up,well it's not exactly what I wanted but is was next best thing. I have decide on a gtx3584r but my budget lead me to a mamba turbo. I would love to go garrett but the cost dose not work for my budget. So a mamba gtx3584r is 66.5-84mm compressor billet 11 blade wheel, 62-68mm turbine t3 .82ar. I was hoping to go to a 1.05 rear housing but it was not available. The .82 will be better spool but kill power up top when chasing really big power. The more I think of it I believe it's a blessing as the 1.05 would be laggy as. To get an idear how big this turbo is, it's classed as a upgrade for a Barra 4 litre engine! I am excepting boost to come in between 4500-5500rpm. Being ball bearing and water cooled I have to make up some lines to suit. Quality of casting and wheels looks good and fitment was great.

Comment

I found a little time to get the location for the Ecu. A nice box behind the passenger seat lines up well with the harness. Using a hole saw I cut through the front fire wall to fit the Honda fire wall grommet. I have a bit of work to do with the wiring but now I have positions of most of the stuff I can move onto it. Also there's a pic of the comaro I have been help with now up and running.
            Attached Files

Comment

I got on to some more bits and bobs on the mr2. I have wired up the power supply, ignition supply and earth to the Ecu. I have tested it and it runs the fuel pump, engine light and ignition power to the ecu via the relay. I also got the inter cooler and the water tank off to the welder and mounting brackets made up. The tail lights always annoyed me so I had been searching high and low for a set at a good price. Finally I got the early style which is correct for the car. I got a awesome deal on the lights and centre grill, it has some minor faults but nothing I could not fix. A quick test fit and I am super happy. I have to save some dollars to get the fuel system so it maybe a little time before I update again. Also moving house and have Bathurst race week over the next month. Busy time but I will try to keep doing a fue little things.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X