Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milano Red Civic EK4

Hey guys,

I was looking for an upgrade. I drive a beater Lancer. Nothing wrong with it except for rust on the roof. Runs really well despite the abuse I gave it and little to no maintenance. I'm really surprise the car still runs really well. The car is too slow for me. Not enough power, especially when climbing. So that's the major reason why I want an upgrade. I was looking for something nimble, not really fast like V8s or turbo sixs, but enough to have fun with. Nimble, the right word for it.

Honda was the one in mind I was looking for an EP3, but it was out of my budget. I could get one if I really wanted, but that's going to be 5 more months time saving up, which is too long of a waiting time for me. I was too impatient. So I browsed Gumtree for Civic EKs or EGs. I saw B18 swapped Civic EGs, EM1s and some EKs with B16s. I wanted the EGs with B18s but they come with a price, so I kept looking. I kept on browsing carsales and gumtree everyday.

One day I saw this, these photos are taken from the ad. I thought "EKs are good, plus they're newer than EGs. I'll consider it then." My initial reaction was

That EG hatch at the back tho.

So I SMS the bloke and met him at his area. Really nice guy. After a few minutes of inspection we took the thing out for a test drive. He drove it first. When he floored the thing I was impressed, especially when the VTEC kicked in (yo) I was really impressed. I underestimated the car because I originally wanted the ones with B18 motor. Next I drove the car. The car was surprisingly comfortable with the Tanabe Sustec coilovers. Handles nice, and the Bride seats really holds you well! The X-Force twin loop exhaust was not loud and was very good for a daily, although I haven't heard it from outside, but on the inside when driving it sounded REALLY nice.

I fell in love with it, and in my mind I said I got to have this car. The deal was sealed and we shook hands. The previous owner did tell me though, that the car needs a 200k km servicing.

Current mods:

- Mugen wing, not sure if genuine or rep.
    - Buddyclub P1 15"
    - Series 2 tail lights
    - Bride rep seats
    - Momo replica wheel. Weak construction, planning to change it soon
    - Short ram air intake
    - X-Force twin loop muffler with 2.5" inch cat back
    - Tanabe Sustec Pro coilovers
    - TOG adjustable upper control arms
    - Function7 rear lower control arms
    - ASR subframe brace
    - ebay alloy radiator

I drove it and got myself a new battery as the old one was showing signs of weakness.

The temperature needle fluctuates above the normal operating temp (about 45 to 50 percent) and that got me nervous I quickly drove back to my place and checked. I found out that the coolant reservoir was empty for some reason. Planned to install the aluminium radiator the day after.

An ebay rad: ASI 2-row aluminium radiator I installed myself. Felt proud of myself since I don't work on cars, and I let the experts do the job.

Looking nice, although it's almost touching the overflow tank.

The old Denso radiator. A lot of dirt inside

After installing the new radiator, I warmed it up and drove it hard. STILL THE PROBLEM WASN'T SOLVED! I drove back to my place and bled the system properly. It took me an hour. Still bubbles were coming out of the radiator and temperature gauge was slightly fluctuating when I rev the engine. I suspect it's the head gasket, or water pump. I don't have an answer myself.

Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, tensioner spring, water pump. OEM goodness. Straight from the US!
    More OEM parts to come!

Function7 LCA, A-Spec Racing Subframe brace, Tanabe Sustec Pro coilovers fitted by the previous owner.

X-Force twinloop exhaust and a custom 2.5" cat back

Comment

Now I will be listing the faults I've spotted/I want to change.

Worn out interior. Smells pretty weird inside too, but not too strong.

That's actually the horn button you see, on the left side of the power mirror adjuster buttons. My OCD is killing me.

This area is dirty. Oil and sand. Looks like beach sand to me.

Bumper wiggles slightly on the left side. No screws supporting it and the hole you put the bolt has snapped.

Leakage below the VTEC spool solenoid valve.

A closer look

Spotted a coolant leaking from below the hoses

Another view

Different angle

I just recently topped up the over flow tank, and for some weird reason, it's almost empty. No visible leaks either. I even took it out before and cleaned it. Filled it with tap water and nothing was leaking from it. Why??

The radiator cap that came with the ebay rad. I will replace it with an aftermarket high pressure cap.

Something is coming out of the rear left tyre.

Windshield washer fluid reservoir leaks as well. Topped it up, next few hours it's empty.

A crack underneath the rear wing.

What needs to be done ASAP:

- Fix the cooling system problem
      - Replace the timing belt, timing belt tensioner and tensioner spring with Honda OEM
      - Replace water pump with Honda OEM
      - Replace oil pump with Honda OEM
      - Replace rocker cover gaskets with Honda OEM
      - Fix or replace the windshield washer fluid reservoir
      - Replace head gasket (possibly) with Honda OEM
      - Replace the fuel filter with Honda OEM
      - Replace the distributor o-ring with Honda OEM
      - Replace the camshaft oil seals with Honda OEM
      - Replace the fuel filter with Honda OEM
      - Replace the thermostat with Honda OEM
      - Replace radiator hoses with 4-ply silicone hoses
      - Replace the crankshaft front and rear main seals with Honda OEM

I'd probably let JDMyard do the work. Currently, I am gathering all the parts I need.

Second top priority:

- Fix the paint damage
      - Replace the ebay rad with a Koyo or Mishimoto
      - Replace the Momo rep wheel with a genuine Nardi. The rep tends to bend easily.
      - CAI kit. Current one installed is a short ram air intake with a rusty metal bar holding it in place

Future plans for the car:

- Brake upgrade, with 4-pot calipers and slotted discs
      - High flow 4-2-1 racing headers
      - Change the exhaust with a Fujitsubo RMA01
      - Hondata S300 and a tune
      - Carbon fiber bonnet
      - Canards
      - Upgrade the stereo system
      Last edited by Ek4RB; 29-09-16, 09:18 PM.

Comment

It's just sitting there, waiting for it's maintenance and repairs. I start her up once every 2 days. Very busy with uni as final exams are fast approaching. When I'm not studying, I'm working. Gotta earn for those car parts!

Clear coat peeling off. Sigh. Got worse when I washed the car.

Damaged paint on the front bar

More paint issues

A clear coat peel and a dent

Decent looking engine bay. Everything is stock except for the intake.

Comment

Nice car mate. Best wheels !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots to do! It'll be worth it once it's all fixed up.
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden95 View Post
              Nice car mate. Best wheels !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by felixR View Post
              Lots to do! It'll be worth it once it's all fixed up.
              Thanks guys. Yeah, lots of work to do. Plus this happened yesterday

Right quarter glass got hit by a rock while uncle was doing the lawn. Anyone know of a Honda wrecker I can go to?

Comment

Man that sucks!
                Hontoys or honbits would be your best bet. Could also try and score one from someone wrecking one on Facebook/gumtree etc

Comment

Working...
                X