This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy's DC2R

Hello guys, i've never done this before however i was reading my friends thread (Basemade DC2R) and i felt like i wanted to give it a go.

I have always liked honda's and driving my friends dc2r ultimately made me want to get one, at that time i was driving a 2016 corolla which was very boring. I decided to start saving to achieve this goal, as a full time student money was hard to come by and also my social life did slow me down however after some time i finally got there.

I started looking around on facebook, gumtree and car sales, i couldn't find any clean affordable ones that appealed to me. I started getting impatient, however my friends told me to take my time because the most important thing is to find the right car. Obviously i didn't listen.... finally i found this JDM FRONT dc2r and instantly i wanted it, the JDM front alone was a huge selling point as i loved the look of it especially in championship white.

So i went with my friends to look at the car, it didn't have a type r wing and had shitty wheels on however i overlooked those flaws because of the jdm front.... mechanically it was healthy however i missed out on some big issues that will be discussed further down.

I picked up the car and this is what it looked like....

It looked more like a VTI-R then a type r but instantly i started buying parts to fix the aesthetics of the car.
    First i purchased the TYPE R wing, and then i sourced some JDM 16's and added them to the car and as a result it looks like this now...

I really like the white on white oem look, im satisfied on how the exterior looks. (the tinted tail lights are gone)

Next up was a J's racing 60rs axel back exhaust, i love the look and sound of this exhaust and was the only choice for me. Engine wise this car is pretty much bone stock.

I got a wheel alignment done and this is where the issues became apparent, now here is where i messed up and my naive nature cost me.
    It turns out i needed new driveshafts and i had oil leaks. Now i look stupid, instead of fixing the car to begin with i pretty much ignored the problems and purchased parts.... But life goes on and i replaced the driveshafts.

Now to the oil leaks, the oil sump was leaking and of course the rear main seal was gone... it gets worst for me. While getting the leaks repaired it came to my attention that i didn't have a 4.7 LSD box, the car was running a vti-r 4.4 non lsd box. I was shocked and hugely disappointed, this was a big smack across the face. However i will not be discouraged and got all the leaks fixed, now its time for me to start saving for a 4.7 LSD box. That is next on a long list of things i want to do to the car.

That pretty much sums up my ownership of the car for the past 2 months... you live and you learn from your mistakes.
    I wouldn't have it any other way despite all the headaches and dramas, when i drive this car it makes it all worth while.

I apologise for writing so much but i wanted to share my story.

Now for future plans...
    4.7 LSD BOX
    COILS
    INTAKE
    HEADERS

As we all know money doesn't grow on trees so i'm sorry if this thread doesn't get updated often. As of now i'm just enjoying the car, it is still pretty new to me and i look forward to what the future has in store

Last edited by roytee25; 17-08-16, 12:37 PM.

I added a clubITR sticker about a week ago

And just today i changed the steering wheel, the car came with a fake mugen that would bend if i applied pressure.
    I picked up a momo dc2r steering wheel and swapped that around, it makes so much difference to the interior.

Last edited by roytee25; 17-08-16, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Nice car mate! Might be cheaper to buy a 4.7 or 4.9 fd gear as well as a LSD...

Something to think about

Comment

Congrats on the car man! unlucky about the gearbox I wonder why in the first place they would replace the type r box with a vtir one... weird haha

Comment

Originally posted by scrowetom View Post
          Nice car mate! Might be cheaper to buy a 4.7 or 4.9 fd gear as well as a LSD...

Something to think about
          Thanks! Hmmmm will definitely take that into consideration when the time comes, i've read stories about 4.9fd on a daily car not being a good combo.

Originally posted by ajax_h_ View Post
          Congrats on the car man! unlucky about the gearbox I wonder why in the first place they would replace the type r box with a vtir one... weird haha
          Thank you! I know.... i can't understand it at all, but i've come up with a theory that one of the previous owners destroyed the gearbox and didn't want to pay $$$ to get it rebuilt and just chucked a vti-r box in there??
          Last edited by roytee25; 17-08-16, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Wow what a story. Good to see you bringing it back to its former glory!
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

Update

Its been a while since i updated my thread but during that time i have acquired some parts

First off i got my hands on a J's Racing whale penis intake LOL all jokes aside i love the carbon fibre look and it sounds nice and deep!

Next up is a nice set of Magnesium Blue TE37's which i got from shipped from Sydney, the specs are 16x8+30 wrapped in advan ad08r's. I felt like these specs would give me the beefy track look that i was going for. Originally i wanted a bronze set however when i found a set of mag blue's i couldn't turn them down, they look amazing in the sunlight.

The car sat on king springs, i hated how high the car was and even more how it handled. I picked up some MCA BLUES after hearing so much positive feedback, I got in touch with a MCA representative and they suggested i go for 13kg front and 4kg rear spring rates for daily and the occasional spirited drive

Heres a comparison of my old springs vs MCA BLUES

Took it for a test drive after the install and i must say i am very impressed on how the car handles, coming from shit cheap tyres, king springs to ad08r's and MCA's its a completely different world. The car handles great, the amount of grip i have is unbelievable.

I haven't taking any proper pictures yet but heres a quick one i took after everything was done.

The car sits flush with the guards, rear camber was needed to fit the rears but the fronts were perfect.

A small mention for some other things i've done such as installing a double din, rear wiper delete, window visors and polished headlights.

Stayed tuned for more updates
              Last edited by roytee25; 04-10-16, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Sweet update!

Originally posted by roytee25 View Post
                The car sat on king springs, i hated how high the car was and even more how it handled. I picked up some MCA BLUES after hearing so much positive feedback, I got in touch with a MCA representative and they suggested i go for 13kg front and 4kg rear spring rates for daily and the occasional spirited drive
                13/4. I don't think I've heard that much of a difference between front and rear in a DC2R before. Interesting.
                ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                  Sweet update!

13/4. I don't think I've heard that much of a difference between front and rear in a DC2R before. Interesting.
                  When they recommended me those spring rates i was surprised, however after discussing what i intended to use the car for (daily and the occasional spirited drive) they suggested 13/4. They were the professionals so i just followed their advice and to my benefit the coilovers were exactly how i wanted them to be.

Comment

When they recommended me those spring rates i was surprised, however after discussing what i intended to use the car for (daily and the occasional spirited drive) they suggested 13/4. They were the professionals so i just followed their advice and to my benefit the coilovers were exactly how i wanted them to be.
                    I also got into contact with MCA when I was researching coilovers, they recommended 14/4 for me too. I would have thought they would go for a more balanced spring setup, but i guess not. This is what MCA had to say:

"If you're on the track and pushing [the car] to the limit and thats the main purpose of the car then I would suggest something more like 18kg front and 10kg rear, that would be a proper track setup. However people need to focus less on spring rates, it's only one part of the whole setup, and people don't know how they are worked out. Motion ratios and weight balance and vehicle application are all huge parts of how to work out spring rates; the motion ratio of the front is quite severe where as the rear isn't. Plus, the car is 60/40 weight distribution. By the time the front and rear motion ratios are worked out, the 14kg front spring is more like a 6.5kg while the rear is more like a 3.5kg."

I'd love to hear how the coilovers feel both on the street and the track as I'll be getting some Blue's soon too!

Comment

Originally posted by scrowetom View Post
                      I also got into contact with MCA when I was researching coilovers, they recommended 14/4 for me too. I would have thought they would go for a more balanced spring setup, but i guess not. This is what MCA had to say:

"If you're on the track and pushing [the car] to the limit and thats the main purpose of the car then I would suggest something more like 18kg front and 10kg rear, that would be a proper track setup. However people need to focus less on spring rates, it's only one part of the whole setup, and people don't know how they are worked out. Motion ratios and weight balance and vehicle application are all huge parts of how to work out spring rates; the motion ratio of the front is quite severe where as the rear isn't. Plus, the car is 60/40 weight distribution. By the time the front and rear motion ratios are worked out, the 14kg front spring is more like a 6.5kg while the rear is more like a 3.5kg."

I'd love to hear how the coilovers feel both on the street and the track as I'll be getting some Blue's soon too!
                      I've been driving around in them for a couple of days now and i must say for coilovers the ride quality is superb. The damper settings came already setup, 4 clicks at the front and 7 clicks at the rear. The build quality of the actual product is amazing and their customer service is second to none, i would definitely recommend MCA Blues to someone who is looking for a street coilover with some performance.

Comment

I've been driving around in them for a couple of days now and i must say for coilovers the ride quality is superb. The damper settings came already setup, 4 clicks at the front and 7 clicks at the rear. The build quality of the actual product is amazing and their customer service is second to none, i would definitely recommend MCA Blues to someone who is looking for a street coilover with some performance.
                        I can't wait

Will be doing every single suspension bushing while I'm at it too :O

Comment

Working...
                        X