Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“SHEGOES” Honda Integra Type R (DC5R)

Hi ClubITR,

My name is Sigo. I've been a long time lurker, first time poster.

I've always been a car guy. It all started when I was little, growing up around The Fast and The Furious films and Need For Speed (NFS) racing video games. During that time, I was infatuated with the hero cars in those movies and games and always thought that a Toyota Supra or Nissan Skyline would be my first car. I never thought about owning a Honda.

After driving my mum's slow Honda Civic FD1 during my L's and P1's, I was given the opportunity to drive a friend's Honda Integra DC5. Despite it only being the Luxury model, the VTEC crossover was something that has to be experienced.

I started looking for a DC2R or DC5R on Carsales and Gumtree but nothing came up. The cars were either thrashed, overpriced or high kms.

In May 2016, a 2001 Silver Honda Integra DC5R popped up. It hit my criteria and I contacted the owner right away.

The next day, my dad and I went to inspect the car. We talked numbers, negotiated and funnily enough, a few hours later, it was sitting in the driveway at home. I remember the drive home vividly as I had very limited experience driving manual at that point in time.

MODIFICATIONS:
    Angel Eyelids with HID 6000K kit
    Custom Exhaust System
    Double Din Headunit with Full Sound System
    ECU Flashtune
    Injen Cold Air Intake
    Skunk2 Gearknob
    Spoon Windscreen Banner
    Type R Seatbelt Pads
    + Misc

POSSIBLE FUTURE MODIFICATIONS:
    ChargeSpeed Front Lip
    Coilovers
    Headers
    Wheels

Until next time.

1.jpg0010.jpg0011.jpg
    Last edited by THELAOASIAN; 11-09-19, 10:30 AM.
    Drop a gear and disappear

Option R Mechanical

Looking forward to see what you do with this Sigo!
    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Welcome Sigo!

Hope to see you at one of our meets in the future.
      Shak's S2000

Comment

Thanks for the support guys! I hope my build will be half as good as both of yours

Option R Mechanical

Comment

UPDATE: STORY TIME PART 1

So when I purchased the car, it came with a rock chipped front bumper. Initially, these imperfections didn’t bother me too much. However over time I became displeased with the appearance and it finally started to irk me, so I decided the car needed some TLC and a refresh… DIY style that is.

MATERIALS NEEDED:
          Sandpaper (80 grit, 240 grit and 800 grit)
          Selleys Heavy Duty Bog
          SCA Primer
          Colorspec Basecoat
          Colorspec Clearcoat
          Wax and Grease Remover

DISCLAIMER:
          DIY research was done on the inter-webs. Please use this as a guide only as results may vary.

Step 1: Sand the whole bumper with 80 grit, then apply bog to the areas affected and finish off with the primer coat. I repeated this several times until I reached a desired result.
          Step 2: Sand the whole bumper again with 240 grit and then 800 grit.
          Step 3: Apply wax and grease remover before painting and organise paint preparation.
          Step 4: Apply several coats of base coat, I applied 4-5 coats.
          Step 5: Apply several coats of clear coat, I applied 3-4 coats.
          Step 6: Wait for it to dry overnight then reattach bumper.

CONCLUSION:
          Overall, I’m satisfied with the result and the cost was around $100. The car was only off the road for 1 day. Special thanks to my uncle Todd for helping out.

SIDENOTE:
          A friend of mine recently had his Phoenix Yellow JDM Front Honda DC2R [JDM739] written off. It was built with all the Honda goodies and luckily I got to ride shotgun one time. It was probably one of the reasons why I chose to become a part of the ClubITR scene.

Until next time.

0012.jpg0013.jpg0014.jpg0015.jpg0016.jpg

Option R Mechanical

Comment

Yoooo, paint came out sweet as dude. Did you use clear coat in a can or via gun? I did my front lip and is no way as shiny as yours

Comment

Thanks bro! Appreciate the kind words.

You have a very nice S2000. I’m also 20 and a broke uni student studying at UNSW.

Back to your question… The Colorspec Clearcoat was via can from Supercheap Auto. Overall, rattle cans have a bad rep, but it was worth a try and I’m happy with the result.

I think it’s shiny because my photo was taken in the sun.

Option R Mechanical

Comment

UPDATE: STORY TIME PART 2

Not much progress in the span of 2 years. At this point, I've been dailying the car for about 2 years with no issues whatsoever.

A group of us are planning to head down to Honda Network in Melbourne for the September 2018 meet. I thought it was the perfect time to add some upgrades to the DC5R.

EXTERIOR: ChargeSpeed Front Lip
                Firstly, I resprayed the front bar again and this time it turned out much better. Also installed a $20 EBAY front rubber lip which was an easy mod to install and makes the front more aggressive but ended up scraping it right after.

Ended up binning the EBAY front rubber lip and purchased a ChargeSpeed front lip instead. Looks way more aggressive with the winglets.

BASIC MAINTENANCE:
                Basic maintenance items to refresh the old parts using Denso iridium spark plugs, Bendix front and rear brake pads, Honda OEM brake fluid flush, Honda HAMP oil filter, Nulon 10W-40 Fully Synthetic oil and Michelin wiper blades.

I would recommend Mekong Spares at Canley Vale for parts as you usually can't beat them on price. They're open on weekends which is a bonus.

HEADLIGHTS: LED H1 55W 6000K
                When I first purchased the car, the last owner had a EBAY HID kit installed which had great vision at night. However, when the RHS HID bulb blew, I tried replacing and then switching the bulb which didn’t seem to work. I thought it was a wiring issue so I ended up buying another HID kit and installing it and somehow the RHS still didn’t work.

I got frustrated, said stuff it and decided to go back to halogen bulbs without realising it was going to be a big mistake. The halogens had piss poor vision compared to HIDs especially driving at night along dimly lit streets and in the rain. With that said, I used them for 1.5 years and got my monies worth.

A couple months ago, the halogen bulb blew on the left side. You know what, I said stuff it and ended up ordering LED bulbs instead. After fixing up the wiring and adjusting the height, wow what a difference it makes at night as signs illuminate and the field of vision using LEDs is vastly improved over halogens. Makes a world of difference. Big thanks to James for his help.

SUSPENSION: HSD Monopros Coilovers with Hardrace rear camber arms and Hardrace tie rods
                Ended up buying HSD Monopros from JDM Accessories due to price and because I've heard of the knocking issues with Buddyclubs. Also decided to buy the supporting mods as the car will be low and slow. Do it once but do it right!

WHEELS: URAS NS01 17x8+30
                Lastly, I had my heart set on ENKEI RPF1 17x9+22 but couldn't find a set reasonably priced so I ended up buying these wheels instead. A bit sex spec from the Autosalon days… I know. The wheel and tyre profile allows me to get away with having unrolled guards.

After reading Flippit’s build, I became inspired to get them and they're pretty much the same as Koya Drifteks. The wheels are also rare as hell!

I’ll update pics of before and after when I get the chance. Until next time.
                Last edited by THELAOASIAN; 11-09-19, 10:32 AM.

Option R Mechanical

Comment

Nice stuff Sigo. Hopefully we can have a Sydney monthly meet before the Honda Network meet. I'd love to see how the car looks now!
                  Shak's S2000

Comment

Sweet update Sigo!
                    ClubITR | Like

Comment

UPDATE: STORY TIME PART 3

Disappointed and gutted that the car wasn't ready for Honda Network in Melbourne. The coils didn't arrive in time. I didn't drive the DC5R down south but ended up taking the FD1. Turned out to be one of the biggest Honda meets I've attended and met a lot of like-minded car enthusiasts.

A week after Honda Network, I installed the HSD Monopros, Hardrace rear camber arms and Hardrace tie rods. Took approximately 5 hours to do the job and overly satisfied with the result. Big thanks to Patrick and David for their help.

A week after that, I replaced the knock sensor as it was throwing a code on the ODB2 reader and the drive belt as it had noticeable cracks within it. Parts were sourced from Mekong Spares once again.

Dropped off the car to have it fixed and checked at Option R Mechanical in Taren Point. Big thanks to Clint and props for the short turnaround. I would recommend Clint to anyone who has a Japanese or European car that needs mechanical work.

After picking up the car, it needed an alignment ASAP as it was driving all over the place. I ended up using Tyres For Less/Michelin Service Centre at Fairfield because they were the only place doing wheel and camber alignments on a Saturday. I made the mistake of getting there during their peak hour and waited for 2 hours. Props to Deano for adjusting the positive camber out of the front wheel and aligning the car to my specs. I got my monies worth in the end.

That's a wrap for 2018. I'll be attending the ClubITR EOYM.

Also I would like to thank my mates for motivating me to get the car modified.

Below are the pics when the car was going through the changes. Until next time.

0017.jpg0018.jpg0019.jpg0020.jpg0021.jpg

Option R Mechanical

Comment

UPDATE: STORY TIME PART 4

Long overdue update.

BASIC MAINTENANCE:
                        Brake fluid flush was needed as the brake pressure felt spongy. It's not ideal in peak hour traffic as you'll brake and nothing will happen for a split second or two. Penrite Brake fluid flush completed.

SUSPENSION: Hardrace Engine Mounts 62A and Nolathane Lower control arm bushes
                        A couple months ago, some friends and I went on a cruise to Macquarie Pass to see what the hype was all about. Hands down, one of the best driving roads in NSW.

The very next week, I felt that the car became really sloppy in stop/start traffic and I could feel engine movement. I had to become more cautious behind other cars. My lower control mount bushes were busted when I first got the car, so I decided that needed to be changed.

SOUND SYSTEM: Kenwood KFC-S1666 speakers
                        After pumping the music for overly prolonged periods of time, I blew my speakers last year and only got them fixed recently. It feels kind of weird with the music playing from the front speakers now. Nevertheless, at least they work again.

WHEELS: ENKEI RPF1 17x9+22
                        Lastly, there was a deal that came up around Christmas that I could not refuse with the wheels I always wanted. Sold the URAS NS01s for a reasonable price and swapped the tyres over to the Enkeis. No regrets and to this day, the best wheels I have ever owned so far.

The car looks aggressive and wide from behind and doesn't attract Police attention which is good.

I didn't roll the guards prior and ended up rolling it myself. I wish I did it at stock height as its much more easier. Big mistake. I botched the job and cracked the paint. Awful.

Dropped off the car at Option R Mechanical and let Clint take care of all the work. After getting everything fixed and replaced, it feels like a totally different car. Stiff, solid and tight. I also feel more confident in the drivers seat.

Just wanted to give a shoutout to Clint once again. I can vouch for his worksmanship and customer service +1.

Pics as below.

https://www.facebook.com/sucarclub/p...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/sucarclub/p...type=3&theater

Until next time.

Option R Mechanical

Comment

Working...
                        X