New addition: '88 CRX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New addition: '88 CRX

With the E30 318is waiting on a new center bearing for the driveshaft, plus fit the 4.11 LSD and adjustable camber/toe subframe, I needed to have something cheap to punt around in, especially as I hate leaving my DC2R in shopping centers etc. It might not quite have worked out that way as I ended up looking at a '76 quad carb Mugen Civic - so close but it fell through when someone offered 15K for it. I ended up considering one of my other bucket list cars (well 2 actually as the seller also had a '84 Starion up for sale) and found a decent CRX.

'88, no sunroof, no aircon (lightest of the CRXs at 880kg), straight body except for a few little dings in one door. 167k kms, good paint, no rust, no optional tail spoiler, original stereo and wheels and best of all, not molested by some kiddie! How it escaped the cyber kit craze of the '90s I don't know. Filthy engine bay, mostly dust (now cleaned), no oil leaks... well, I'll get to that.

The not so good:
    *Radiator cap was original and not sealing/holding pressure and the top of the tank had been damaged. A scalpel and fine sand paper later and it seals nicely now.
    *Driver's seat has a hole in it and the foam is stuffed. As soon as I can find a good passenger seat I'll use the skin and padding to repair it (the center material is ridged and wears down).
    *Water leak off the hatch hydraulics. Apparently it's the sealant under the roof strips and is a common problem but a simple fix, remove the dried out sealant and replace.
    *Tires are old and lasted the Melbourne to Sydney run but are going to be replaced as I can see small cracks in the carcass
    *Ride height is stock... BC BRs should fix that
    *OEM stereo is running my ipod through a FM convertor. It's not bad, but I need to think about whether I leave it in or drop in an aftermarket one.
    *Rust on tailpipe - I've sanded it back but the car was sitting for a bit - it had steam out the tailpipe for a bit until it hit the Hume Hwy - since then it's been fine.
    *Fix the door scuff where a kid in a Camry opened the door onto my paintwork on the way home from Melbourne.
    *I checked everything... except the plugs. Cleaning the engine bay I decided to drop in new plugs so pulled a lead to remove the plug and check the model. Oil 3/4 of the way up the lead Cover gasket and O rings ordered - stupid twin-cam O rings. I'll grab a new set of leads at the same time as the oil will probably have stuffed the lead's insulation.

Other than that the D16A is fun - and not in a VTEC sort of way. It's a cross between my DC2R and 318is and TBH it's quicker than the E30 which has maybe 10-15 hp more and it loves to rev like the R.

I need new pipes as they are just mild steel covers

More to follow soon I guess.
    1988 CRX
    1999 Integra Type R
    2020 Civic Type R

Liking it very much!

Comment

wow, nice base!!!!
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

I want a crx one day too!
        Nice car!

Comment

Great purchase! So hard to find one this clean and with everything still intact with OEM bits.
          1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

winner winner!!! congratulations!
            ... retired/

Comment

Congrats Pete!

Very nice pick up
              Shak's S2000

Comment

So clean! Great find Pete.
                ClubITR | Like

Comment

This is fantastic!
                  1997 Honda Civic EK4
                  Winton - 1:34.94
                  Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                  Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                  Wakefield - 1:10.16
                  Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Nice original example you picked up!
                    Skibeemo.com

Comment

O rings and gaskets didn't arrive but the NGK leads did - so I twiddled my thumbs until the rust on the exhaust tips annoyed me enough to break out the power drill and brush set

Next weekend will be a better run at the other minor things so I sat and admired the garage while trying to work out how to squeeze the rex in

Room for me?

Nope

Too many E30 parts, time to use them and then tidy up the rest
                      1988 CRX
                      1999 Integra Type R
                      2020 Civic Type R

Comment

This is great.

Comment

From the chit chat section:
                          Just got the CRX blue slipped for NSW rego. Shannons insured it for $7/month for 10K (limited use because 3 cars over 7 days = limited use requirements) on top of existing insurance for the other 2. They then struggled to greenslip the CRX as they couldn't match the VIN to a car in Australia. Over-rode the computer, got the blue slip (no problems) and went to the RTA. Couldn't find the VIN there either. Showed them the Vic rego papers, showed them the owners handbook, photos of the VIN and compliance plate etc and they put it on the national registry. The lady at RMS was absolutely fantastic and did everything she could to sort it out. WTF were you thinking Victoria?

Actually, this car is a bit of an enigma. Build date in 2/88 but ADR plate added 9/88. RMS went over it 3 times with photos etc to determine the VIN on the plate and on the chassis hadn't been tampered with. All good. I'm not sure out other CRXs but the ADR plate lists it as a Honda Civic CRX 2DR. I broke down the VIN to read that it's a genuine Aussie car that was built in Suzuka. It's been wearing the same Vic plates all its life - they finally came off tonight. Looked through the old receipts - Honda ripped off one of the owners but in the last 18 months it's had all new bushings and assorted work here and there - some of which it looks to be quite creative in the diagnosis and accounting. Anyway, fun for me as I don't have to lash out buckets of money.
                          Interestingly, the last 2 numbers and the letter of the new nuimberplate match the plates on my original E30 that got rear-ended
                          1988 CRX
                          1999 Integra Type R
                          2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Went to the local pick a part as there was a CRX there. Shopping list included rocker cover as I wanted to respray one, cigarette lighter and jack. All 3 gone but I came away with a space saver tire from an EK and a few bits of rubber.

Gave her a wash and tried some cutting compound on the engine bay - should come up nicely.
                            1988 CRX
                            1999 Integra Type R
                            2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Little update as I've been doing a few things to tidy it up. I've decided to leave the OEM stereo in and use a FM transmitter linked to an old ipod. Works ok although no ipod controls is a pain. I'll see if I can get an aux port put into the back of the stereo. No hands free bluetooth but tbh, I'm not going to miss it. Next stop is to have a few dings (in the passenger door) fixed along with a refurb of some cracks/scuffing on the rear bar. I'd love to repaint the bonnet due to stone chips but am still thinking that one over.

I picked up some 15x6.5 45 offset Mugen RnR wheels in great condition and spent an afternoon cleaning off old weight sticker residue, road grime and break dust. I was looking for the late 80s Mr5s or the CF-48s with cover plates by Mugen but 14s were all I could locate and the 15 inch RnR give me better tyre options to mess with. They first came out in '91 as an EG/Del Sol option so I'm not too far off period correct. Tyres are a little too high in the aspect ratio - 195x55x15 Re003 but they are in good condition and I'll move to a 195x50x15 Federale RSR when they wear out (I love these on the DC2R). The RnRs are a lot lighter than the OEM CRX alloys - unbelievably so.

Next stop is dropping it about 2 inches - I don't want too low as the driveway is a pain with the R's stock height and the E30's lowered height. I'm looking at BC BR coilovers as they work nicely in the E30 and aren't as aggressive as the Teins in the ITR.

Cleaned it up and garaged it as the E30 is off having it's aircon sorted.

1988 CRX
                              1999 Integra Type R
                              2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Working...
                              X