No announcement yet.

Green EK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday was Vic Time Attack, which I was on the fence about entering until they said they had a cheapskate demo class, so I was keen to get out there and support this event, even if I'm not in one of the 'main' classes.
    Other than dropping the gearbox oil, nothing had changed with the car since Winton, so preparation was very easy for me.
    I drove the car up on NT01s again to reduce my prep time on the Friday morning.
    The weather was perfect on Friday, I didn't even need to wear a jumper at 7am in the morning!
    Lots of cars on trailers with wild aero was the flavour of the day, with a definite increase in competitors over last year's event which is great. I hope to see this event grow each year, maybe there will be international competitors in the future!

As I had not been to PI in a year, I wanted to get some time in the morning to get the lines and required pace back to at least meet and then beat my previous 1:58.5127 lap from last year. The difference in outright speeds between Winton/Wakefield/Haunted Hills and Phillip Island is pretty ridiculous, requiring much more commitment, though once I was back out there it all came back pretty quickly
    I had the car setup the same as Winton, which suffered from understeer, though here it was absolutely perfect. Turn in was perfect, no excessive understeer and the car moved around as I expected. The car felt GREAT all day.

The times below are all that were recorded on Natsoft, which are the first two sessions, but some laps are combined?! I don't know, I've never had dorian issues before but it looks like I was this day!
    What are missing are two sessions after lunch, and even looking at the laps that are on Natsoft, they aren't the same amount that I had completed via Racechrono. I'm not sure if the real classes had issues with timing, but I'm glad I wasn't gunning for a place and relying on it!
    A few other friends commented on the timing issues also.

2:30.4251 2:04.4022 2:01.2245
    2:17.2237 1:59.6197 4:04.0884 2:10.6807 6:12.7191
    2:02.4618p

The other laps from my Racechrono.
    2:17.13 1:58.38 1:57.71
    2:16.94 1:57.77 1:57.48

The laps from Natsoft that worked match up to my Racechrono laps, so I'm pretty confident in these being real deal times, which is nice! #NONATSOFTNOPB though

I never went to PI with my 'new' gearbox and the 4.9FD, but with the 4.4FD it was very very good. I did sit just over 8000rpm from the bridge down to T1 to stay off the rev limiter, but other than that I felt pretty good with it all. If I went too slow over Lukey in 5th it would drop below 5500rpm, so the obvious answer to that is to go faster over Lukey!
    If I had run an event with the 4.9fd, it would have been an absolute waste of time, so thank you M-Factory final drive for failing!

I did seem to have some trouble with my footwork at times, particularly with so many down changes (5th to 2nd into Honda and MG), but I'll blame that on being out of practice. I still think I can get through T1 without any braking despite the car being a few km faster down the straight. Maybe a slightly later turn in would help that. I didn't really get enough laps to play around with entries.
    Other than that, I was pretty happy with it all and had an absolute ball. All my friends had fun, ran quick laps and all drove home (some trailered!) to run another day.
    A couple of photos.
    Standard SDPICS.

And one from Folks.

This is my quickest lap for the day, a 1:57.48 (Racechrono).
    If I can put it all together, there is definitely a low 1:56 in there, if I can sneak that into a 1:55, I'd be very happy. Plenty of PI time to do that this year!

The car is tucked away at the moment and won't come out for a track day until Haunted Hills with Nug Nats on the 6th May and I will also do Sale Sprints on the 7th. Might come out for a run through Reefton actually, before the weather gets too bad up in the hills.
    Before then I'll need to change the front pads and rotors, bleed the brakes and I'll wait until after Sale to change the engine oil.
    I felt the second hand NT01s I bought last year weren't up to the task, though after Friday I see no issue with them. Maybe its just the terrible Winton surface!? That is the difference between an international circuit I suppose.

Thanks.
    1997 Honda Civic EK4
    Winton - 1:34.94
    Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
    Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
    Wakefield - 1:10.16
    Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Nice times, your lines are looking much better than mine around P.I! I need a lot more practice and commitment to get near your times.

What was your speed going into turn 1 out of interest? If you have racechrono data would you be willing to share with noobs like me[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RC_dc2 View Post
        Nice times, your lines are looking much better than mine around P.I! I need a lot more practice and commitment to get near your times.

What was your speed going into turn 1 out of interest? If you have racechrono data would you be willing to share with noobs like me[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Thanks for the positive comments.
        Even though I haven't been out there for a year, I have done a HEAP of laps at PI, particularly the start of last year. Get out there and run some more laps, it all starts to make sense eventually.

Quickest speed through T1 for the day was 183km and the top speed down the main straight was 193km.
        This is using the phone GPS as I have just worked out my QStarz wasn't connected at all. Seems to be realistic if you look at my speedo in the video and my shift light.
        This is the screenshot of my fastest lap.

I can send you the .RCZ file if you know what to do with it, the race line will be a bit squiggly, but the lap times etc are accurate to within a tenth or so compared to the Natsoft laps that were recorded.
        Last edited by iwearmoccos; 10-04-17, 09:25 PM.
        1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Nice driving Rhys!

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
            Nice driving Rhys!
            Thanks Todd!
            You should come down to Phillip Island sometime soon, like July!
            1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
              Thanks Todd!
              You should come down to Phillip Island sometime soon, like July!
              Haha maybe we will see. Winton again this year for sure but we will see about PI

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                Haha maybe we will see. Winton again this year for sure but we will see about PI
                8-9th July and then 18th-19th November are the two PIARC Sprint weekends I'm doing.
                Come in November, bring your girl down and turn it into a holiday.
                Phillip Island is nice and romantic when you're not doing race car things.
                There are also penguins.
                1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Nothing too exciting this easter.
                  I went to the beach.

Saw a GT4.

We then came home early this morning to dodge the usual Geelong road traffic, which meant I had a spare hour to change front pads and rotors.
                  Pretty even wear, this was found on both sides of the car.

I change rotors with every pad change, first because they are really cheap and secondly, they take a bit of a beating.

I went with my tested combination of PMU HC800 pads and the cheapest rotors I could find. These are Repco ones, which aren't the cheapest, but were the most convenient.

Brakes have been bled, I'll head out through Reefton next week and bed the pads in.

I also have sourced another set of 15*8 wheels, which I'll pick up next week.
                  Very similar to another set I have already at a pretty reasonable price!
                  1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

I put the idea forward. Might actually do PI now

And how good are hc+ and blank rotors! Got 1.3years and 9 trackdays out of mine and they only just got down to metal on metal. Such awesome performance from them!

Comment

I'm impressed that you can run your pads pretty much down to the backing plates, I wish mine could do that before crumbling. I can only assume that the hc+ / hc800 are actually better than the rc09's!

What's the story with the new wheels? Are you still planning to try to fit wider in the future?

Comment

I'm impressed that you can run your pads pretty much down to the backing plates, I wish mine could do that before crumbling. I can only assume that the hc+ / hc800 are actually better than the rc09's!

What's the story with the new wheels? Are you still planning to try to fit wider in the future?
                        Another friend had similar comments with his HC+, but I've never had them crumble away like that and this is now my 3rd set of the same pads.

New wheels are just to replace the 6ULs, so I'll have two sets of RPF1s. I'll sell the 6ULs once the tyres are off them.

I will go to a wider front, but at this stage it isn't a main priority. I may even just go to a 225 on an 8 front, so I then have data on all combinations.
                        205 on 8.
                        225 on 8.
                        225 on 9.
                        1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Another friend had similar comments with his HC+, but I've never had them crumble away like that and this is now my 3rd set of the same pads.

New wheels are just to replace the 6ULs, so I'll have two sets of RPF1s. I'll sell the 6ULs once the tyres are off them.

I will go to a wider front, but at this stage it isn't a main priority. I may even just go to a 225 on an 8 front, so I then have data on all combinations.
                          205 on 8.
                          225 on 8.
                          225 on 9.
                          Are you running spacers for 8" on the front now or are they a straight fit?

There seems to be many people on forums successfully running HC+ on Honda's, less talk about running RC09's. I think if I spent more time at Winton and PI HC+ may be ok but Sandown is harder on brakes, maybe that is all there is to it.

Comment

Are you running spacers for 8" on the front now or are they a straight fit?

There seems to be many people on forums successfully running HC+ on Honda's, less talk about running RC09's. I think if I spent more time at Winton and PI HC+ may be ok but Sandown is harder on brakes, maybe that is all there is to it.
                            No spacers in the front. I did install extended wheel studs for spacers if required though.
                            How noisy are the RC09 pads? That was always my concern as a friend ran them and it was RIDICULOUS how noisy they were!
                            1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

No spacers in the front. I did install extended wheel studs for spacers if required though.
                              How noisy are the RC09 pads? That was always my concern as a friend ran them and it was RIDICULOUS how noisy they were!
                              Funny you mention noise because the only brake noise I get is my hc800 on the rear but only driving home from a track event otherwise are normally quiet.

Mine rc09's weren't noisy at all either on the street or on the track. I used them both with and without backing shims and both were silent. I only had shuddering/crumbling issues. My first set came good after a few sessions but disintegrated shortly after, second set I couldn't get to bed properly (new rotors too) and also started crumbling after 2 track days.

N.B The other week at PI i changed my front pads half way through the day to hawk dtc-60, after the 1 session of light braking and bedding the next session the brake shudder was virtually non existent and I could see on the rotors I had even bedding across the full face which I didn't before. Needs more testing to confirm this long term still.

Comment

Back on RPF1s 24/7.
                                225/45/15 RS3s are now on my second set of 15*8 +28 RPF1s.
                                1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Working...
                                X