Looking good Rhys
      ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
        Nice work rhys. I also just bought vents off a mustang for my bonnet

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by felixR View Post
        Looking good Rhys

Thanks Sydney blokes, it is growing on me.

Also Felix, you got scooped up in a social media cull, please accept my most recent friend request.
        1997 Honda Civic EK4
        Winton - 1:34.94
        Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
        Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
        Wakefield - 1:10.16
        Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Doesn't look too bad, at least with a dark car you can leave it unpainted and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. If I can't afford a fancy vented bonnet down the line I might do the same thing.

Comment

On Sunday was the hill climb round of Nugget Nationals, so after my mother's 60th dinner in the city, I drove down to their house and blew up 50 balloons to hang on her trees in the morning.
            It didn't rain over night and was quite mild at 6:30am.
            Car setup remained the same except I didn't bother putting my 9s on the front and stuck with an 8 inch 225/205 A050 setup.
            I helped setup the timing with John from GCC, gave a few pointers at drivers briefing and then led a couple of sighting laps around the circuit as many were not too familiar.

The first two runs I ended up spinning at the same point, coming back up the hill towards the back straight where rear grip was lost and the car turned around. No damage to anything except my pride.
            Here are the times for reference.
            37627993_10217232763950589_5232916586406346752_o by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            The other runs were all low 82s, with one high 81 thrown in there for good measure. I did also take my brother in law out on the last run, which he seemed to enjoy. It would be nice to have a bucket seat for passengers, but that kind of expense for the odd passenger is not really worth it.

If you watch the above video, you can definitely see where the two seconds of time is between my current PB on this layout.
            I do feel like my rears are nearing the end of their heat cycles, as they don't have the bite they once did. It wasn't exactly freezing, so I did expect to have more confidence inspiring grip in the rear.
            Never mind, it was a VERY enjoyable day, no one wrecked their cars and everyone seemed to have smiles on their faces.
            I do hope that a few people gained more of an appreciation for hill climb and the pace that I and others have around there.

A few photos.
            From the Vijay live feed.
            37630443_1790951304359534_7880669112987287552_o by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            Matt from Highstyle took these glamour shots.
            43585254381_189177d67a_h by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            43538274932_ac3a5135a6_h by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
            43585247831_031a619122_h by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I have my Hoosier A7s fitted this Saturday, plan to initial heat cycle them the following Friday and then return to Bryant Park on 5th August for another hill climb. I'll run my current 8inch rimmed A050 setup again for that event and leave the Hoosiers for H Nats and then Australian Hill Climb Championship.

Thanks.
            Last edited by iwearmoccos; 25-07-18, 05:42 PM.
            1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Last weekend I headed up to Stuckey to get my previously mentioned Hoosier A7s.
              I ordered 205/50/15 for the rear and 225/45/15 for the front. Hoosier don't do a 225/50/15 A7.
              Fancy guys!
              20180728_102756 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              When I was almost home, I noticed the fronts were REALLY wide, so I pulled over to check them out. They had installed 245/40!! MASSIVE!
              Compared to a 225/50 A050.
              20180728_102622 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              So I headed back to Stuckey this Thursday and got the correct tyre installed.
              Much better!
              20180802_085919 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              Friday morning I was at my parents and headed up to Bryant Park to initial heat cycle these tyres. Hoosier has a manual with heaps of information. a cheat sheet almost!
              I ran 15 various laps, increasing pace throughout like suggested. These tyres should be quite fast!
              20180803_093910 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              Heaps of space up front due to the 45 height rather than 50, will be interesting to see how it impacts gearing at Winton. These will never see Phillip Island.

20180802_162744 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

I didn't run practice on Saturday as I had a baby shower.
              Sunday was just another Gippsland CC hill climb, running two layouts which we weren't told until drivers briefing which two it would be.
              We would be running clockwise in the morning and short clockwise in the afternoon.
              I was running A050s on 8 inch rims, car is as it always is. Pretty standard setup these days!
              Top ten times for the day.
              5thAugustHillclimb by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              The weather was REALLY good on Sunday. Sun out, no wind, track had not been rained on overnight and everyone was running as fast as they usually do.
              For me.
              Clockwise - Previous fastest is 58.21, so I was straight up to that pace and I would expect to have gone a shade faster if we ran the layout the whole day.
              My fastest in the morning was 58.23, which had a couple moments of oversteer. A really tidy lap should dip into the high 57s.
              We're running the clockwise layout for Australian Hillclimb Championship (AHCC from now on!), so with the addition of A7s, I'd be happy with a low 57/high 56. Pretty quick!! Aim high, go fast!!
              The 58.23 lap is below.
              https://youtu.be/xMTG7-7OFNs
              In the afternoon, we ran the short clockwise layout, which most people don't enjoy due to the length, but that crossover section is great!!
              40.9 is my previous fastest, so I beat that a couple times.
              The crossover can still be done quicker, though I was quite happy with a 40.1, almost a 39! Soon enough.
              That lap, you'll have to click!
              https://youtu.be/dsqRAdBvfGE
              The re-run we are discussing at the start is because I came up on the straight, turned in and saw a red Barina going slow down the track so backed off. I would have caught him otherwise and was FLYING at that point. FFFLLLLYYYYIIINNNGGGG!!! The red Barina had a 2 litre Calibra engine in it and was being driven by the guys at Street Machine. I suppose we'll see it on Youtube one day. They were nice guys, though always struggled to get in running order!
              A couple of photos by a nice guy named Nate who came down and covered both days. He was hyped, we're hyped!
              hillclimb-5 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              hillclimb-20 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              hillclimb-11 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
              hillclimb-58 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Successful weekend all round!!
              Two weeks away and we have H Nationals at Winton.
              Car remains the same, I'll run the Hoosiers in the morning to hopefully pull a lap out of nowhere and then put the A050s back on in the afternoon.
              Need to save those Hoosier heat cycles!!

Cheers big ears!!
              Last edited by iwearmoccos; 07-08-18, 09:03 AM.
              1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Mate this is such a cool little nugget. I bet its a tonne of fun for next to no cash.

Im in the market to upgrade from my gli EK, would you mind advising how much you paid for the EK4?

Comment

Originally posted by Teneo View Post
                  Mate this is such a cool little nugget. I bet its a tonne of fun for next to no cash.

Im in the market to upgrade from my gli EK, would you mind advising how much you paid for the EK4?
                  It is a heap of fun!!
                  Slightly more cash in it than I had originally planned, though the lap per dollar cost is very small.

I paid $4.5k for my EK4 back in 2014.
                  At that stage it was the cheapest available and most were around $6k.
                  The price seems to vary quite a bit these days, anywhere between $4 to $10k. I'd buy another in a heart beat!
                  Last edited by iwearmoccos; 07-08-18, 08:06 AM.
                  1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Saturday was the 2nd round of H Nats at Winton and the weather was looking terrible all week.
                    The drive up at 4am was surprisingly busy, and it took me stopping for petrol and seeing everyone wearing beanies to realise they were all going to Hotham.

I enjoy catching up with everyone while scrutineering. No cable ties used to hold fire extinguishers this time!!
                    The rain didn't hold off, so I left my A050s on and took J Chow out as a passenger for the first session. We just dawdled around and spoke about how great B16s are and his defect.
                    Nothing too exciting to mention about the car in this session, expect I did leave the setup 'soft' as I would run it on the track and other than some understeer from my low tread A050s, it was actually quite nice to drive! The laps were also quite slow, let's move on.

Here are the laps for the day.
                    2:23.9960 2:08.5290 2:07.1040 2:02.2430 2:06.8890 2:08.3580
                    1:56.5210 1:40.0420 1:39.0900 1:44.2620 1:39.7900 2:06.6540 1:41.6950
                    1:58.3500 1:44.0880 1:38.9790 1:37.6510 1:40.3140 1:53.5550 1:36.9970
                    1:50.6280 1:47.9760 1:36.6200 1:36.9330 1:42.8590

2nd session was almost dry, so I stiffened up the dampeners and dropped some PSI out of the A050s and went chasing a reasonably quick lap. It was still quite slippery, but overall it was quite fun. I was very hesitant on putting the car in a position where the rear might want to turn around and put me in the dirt.
                    On the last flyer, there were some drops of rain and I thought I could make it a whole lap. The rain had other ideas and it poured as I came down the main straight. I questioned whether I could finish a quick lap in those conditions and am glad I went slow through the esses as even at half pace, the rear stepped out.

I sat out the 3rd session and had lunch, it was quite wet if I remember correctly and I was having chats with people. Social man!
                    It was drying up by this stage, so I decided to throw my new Hoosier A7s on. Even if it wasn't going to be perfect weather, I wanted to understand how they handled as there is a big chance the car won't be out until AHCC.
                    I eased into it and also was trying to stay out of people's way, but from initial laps they felt very fast.
                    The handling is slightly different, the car moves around a little more. This can also be due to the low temps, damp track and also my amateur left foot braking skills. Either way, I was right on my PB of 1:36.97 with my last flyer of that session.

The last session was the best conditions of the day, so I went out to beat my PB which I did twice.
                    The car felt quite good here and I really wasn't leaning on it as much as I could in slightly less treacherous conditions.
                    Here is my 1:36.62 lap.

I knew I wasn't in the running for a Class 4 prize, though I was very surprised to find out that I had won Fastest Factory Stock Motor!
                    This is usually a S2000 prize as all the other fast Civic/Integras are K swapped or have B18s etc.
                    It also POURED down during presentations, followed by a really nice rainbow so it was a good ending to the day.
                    Some visuals
                    Top 20 for the day, I came in 15th.
                    WintonHNatsTop20 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                    Fastest Factory Stock Motor, which is quite the mouthful.
                    20180818_172509 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                    A couple of photos from Jonathan.
                    39568081_1435165669960529_8524497732998529024_o by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                    39443021_1435164109960685_3015375600832479232_o by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr

Great to catch up/meet a few new guys, run the car with no issues and then get home safely!
                    Last edited by iwearmoccos; 20-08-18, 09:36 AM.
                    1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Brilliant result Rhys! Well done!

Comment

Well done Ryhs!

How many kms has the Best16A done now?
                        ClubITR | Like

Comment

Thanks gents.

Felix,
                          A shade over 310,000km.
                          It just keeps going and going!
                          1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment

Nice stuff Rhys, that one person handshake was awesome
                            Shak's S2000

Comment

You are my hero rhys

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Shak, I'm glad people enjoyed it! I was in a really good mood!
                                Todd, we are each other's hero.

Some more photos.
                                IMG_8258 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                                _A8A5639 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                                _A8A7006 by I WEAR MOCCOS, on Flickr
                                1997 Honda Civic EK4

Comment