Alex P's CW DC2R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex P's CW DC2R

After a sad end to my old DC2, I didn't just want to get another VTIR. I'd always wanted a DC2R since I had my first civic, so I set my sights on finding a clean one. None of the car for sale really stood out to me so I just waited, eventually a friend of mine spotted one in a customers garage while doing a job for them, a clean, stock and untouched low KM Champ white DC2R. I was stoked. I had the money ready and bought it as soon as I inspected it, couldn't be happier!

Paint was a little oxidized, so doing what I do best I brought it back.

Looking good, the car was very straight! Until someone decided to back into me the day I bought it.. caved the whole RHS of the bumper in. Got in there with a heat gun and popped it out, but there is still a hole in the bar and it isn't sitting right anymore..

Anyway I really wanted to enjoy the car stock for a while and take in everything this car had to offer, but sooner rather than later the mod bug bit.
    It started with a set of wheels. Some 16x7" +42 offset SSR Type C's in gold, which a later swapped for some +35's.

The new owner of my old B20 stopping by, then and now!

Meeemorieeeesssss, after i spun a bearing the new owner put a new crank, sump, driveshafts etc in it along with a DC2R flywheel. Good as gold.

Next up I was heading to the track, and after previous experience as passenger I knew that the SR3's didn't have much hold when using just the seatbelt, so I bought a sparco 4 point harness and also a bride lowered seat rail.

Being a taller guy the rail brought it down enough to let me fit in the car with a helmet on, goood. But still not quite low enough.

I mounted some second hand RE002's on the SSR's and put them on the car, still no coilovers.

I hit the track! With the car standard bar my tyres and harness/rail, I ran a 1:55.6 at winton, a really good baseline for my first track day and testing the limit of the car.

desperately wanting to lower the car and being too impatient to wait and save, i bought a set of second hand buddyclub N+ coilovers for cheap and banged them in to lower it (should have waited but they sufficed)
    No pictures of the coilovers but heres some of the car dropped

You can see the remaining damage to the bar after I pushed out the dent

But i was happy with the height, it corners flatter but was obviously more neutral with the OEM suspension.

Shortly after I invested in some Hardrace Roll Centre Adjusters, hardrace rear eyelet bushings/LCA bushings and a Tegiwa BMC stopper.
    [IMG]√https://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/20121_824164484333667_3995043336405386107_n.jpg?oh =dfeef27fbe2f85f535285d5fe305b6be&oe=55FBD899[/IMG]

All of which made a big difference, the RCA's brought back the lost steering feel and balance that I lost putting in the coilovers, and the Brake stopped made a huge impact on my pedal feel, definitely reccomend to everyone who values the way their brakes feel.

I bought a Spoon N1 axel back muffler + silencer off of a friends DC2R for a really good price, was excited to have some noise again.

It was pretty dirty so after a real good clean and polish I put it on. no pics unfortunately.

I was itching to get back to Winton, but last time my brakes were giving me a lot of trouble, heating up very quickly and vibrating like crazy, shaking the wheel and car whenever hard on the brakes, so before I went the first step was to upgrade, I was back and forth about what to go with but after gathering opinions and doing a bit of research I decided to go with PMU CRD rotors up front paired with some HC800 pads, and some cheaper PMU pads in the rear and bled all round with some penrite high temp fluid, I left the rear rotors as they were due to funds, but they weren't giving me any trouble anyway, along with all new wheel studs up front and new koyo front wheel bearings. Huge thanks to Josh at Sleeping Performance & Mechanical repairs for getting the work done on short notice for me as I was out running around prepping other things.

While I was at it I splurged and bought some 205/45/16 Advan Neova AD08R's from traction tyres

After I had them fitted it was back to Josh's workshop to fit them up to the car and then back to traction again for an alignment, something simple 2mm Toe out front 0 rear. No camber adjustment as I didnt have adjustable arms.
    Next day back to winton!

What a difference! The brakes and tyres were a huge step up, after a few sessions I ended up with a PB of 1:48.53, STOKED! Been bitten by the track bug something fierce.

A nice post-track midweek clean and wax.

Keen to get back to the track I bought some hardrace adjustable front and rear camber arms brand new second hand, they never got installed in anyones cars but I got them cheap. Woo!

I raised the front up 15mm and took it down to my local tyre power and had it aligned, since I had the arms we were able to take out a lot of the camber, on the rear I had about 3* negative camber either side and we brought it back to 1* either side, up front was off chops after installing the arms, with 23mm total toe on the front and stupid amounts of camber, we brought it back to about 1mm toe out either side and 1.3* negative camber. Using more of the contact patch on the tyre now.

Then back to winton again with a PB of 1:47.7, not as quick as I was hoping for but I started having issues with oil pressure early on in the day after I PB'd, the dip stick tube has popped out slightly and caused me to lose a bit of oil and cause a drop in oil pressure, so i got off and went home.

So here we are Overall I'm stoked with the way the car is at the moment, however new coilovers are first on the list. Sourced out some Spoon N1 original coilovers from a friend, exciting!.

Comment

Nothing's more annoying than someone hitting your car [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]careless people out there , overall love the car man nice to see more dc2s on here

Comment

Awesome car Alex, congrats on the purchase!

Nice to see you enjoying it at Winton as well
        Shak's S2000

Comment

Good to see you post up your car Alex!

You'll be working your way down into the low 40's in no time!
          Honed - WEB: https://honeddevelopments.com/ FB: https://www.facebook.com/honeddevelopments

Comment

Why not swap out the rear bumper?

Blame Honda for not putting a rear reinforcement bar on all dc2r's- it would have minimised the damage. I put one in my itr for peace of mind.

Comment

Love it Alex!

Great wheels too. Perfect for the track.
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Didn't realise you were on CITR Alex. Awesome car, I'll cya out at Winton again!

Peter
                1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Nice work so far alex. Glad the track bug has hit

Might see you at Winston soon

Comment

Thanks all, I will replace the bumper eventually, a brand new one from Honda will be $780 trade price delivered to my workshop, and I couldnt be bothered repairing another. So Will do that later.

Recently i've found a small buckle in one of the lips of my SSR's, nothing big just a little flat spot on the left front which I will have to get pushed out before the next track day (August 1).

I recently bought a Navara as my daily driver and work car, so the Honda is now in the garage until I want to take it out, which is great as I can start doing some more "out there" mods and not have to worry about getting to work in the morning, or police.

I bought and installed some AVID Engine mounts, however only had time for the two side mounts, not rear. Not looking forward to that one.
                    Already it feels more responsive on the throttle, cant wait to get it in.

Comment

I can see where this is heading...ute for daily driver, ITR gets further modded, buys trailer and tows ITR to track!

Comment

Originally posted by Apu View Post
                        I can see where this is heading...ute for daily driver, ITR gets further modded, buys trailer and tows ITR to track!
                        You are correct sir but I already have a trailer :P

got a box of goodies from Gaijin Garage!

Spoon windscreen banner, air filter, clutch slave hose and type one sticker.

Also picked up a tegiwa shifter extension and some HEL braided brake lines and made another order for some Spoon Full-Spec coilovers again from Bede at Gaijin Garage! Exciting. Can't wait to get them in.. but theyre coming by sea and the wait is killing me.

next track day is august one so hopefully theyre here before then

#baes
                        Last edited by styleofhabit; 14-07-15, 12:10 AM.

Comment

So i feel like its time to update this haha

Current state:

Got canaried recently so now it has to go back to stock bah.
                          drove at phillip island last weekend. mega win, so much fun.

Comment

Is it just me or none of the previous photos are working?

Comment

Damm that looks tough.

Originally posted by totti View Post
                              Is it just me or none of the previous photos are working?
                              Yup all broken!
                              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Working...
                              X