No announcement yet.

My Elise K20A build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Tom and thanks for referring me to this forum.

Comment

Awesome car mate, thanks for sharing. Big fan of Lotus Elise/Exige especially when they have a K20a in it!
      1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Love the avatar eskimo.
        I should have the first video of it alive and rolling around the track in a week (a few shake down tests). Then the first sprint meeting with onboard footage at Sandown. Will post here. Lets see how the handling is as the setup with the changed weight distribution will be key.

Comment

Hi folks, a quick update on the build. The truism that the last few % can take as long as the majority of the work is once again proven. We ran into an electrics problem with the speed override device. It is now working and we have the exhaust system coming back from the ceramic coaters next week and we are good to go!

However the speed override suggests I have a CL7!? I wanted to check with the knowledgeable folk here whether this is true and if so what are the performance differences of the engine and transmission if any.......

The big questions are
          How do I tell whether it is a JDM engine (see video link and numbers above)??
          Is mine a DC5
          How do I tell what the transmission is (is it from a CL7 or a JDM?

I purchased an engine from Canada Ebay seller. The engine was listed as a JDM Spec K20a DC5 with a PRC ECU and transmission that is standard with that.
          • Number stamped on the engine is K20A 3605340
          • Transmission bar chart sticker code is Y2M3-1005704
          • ECU bar chart sticker code is 37820-PRC-013 below that is another number 2070-20268

All numbers shown above can be seen in this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8STL...ature=youtu.be
          I have been using the table listed here as a reference http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6395

My understanding from the above table is the transmission ratios are different on a CL7 (are these more sporty or less so i.e. what do the different numbers mean)?

I purchased a HKS Speed Limit Defencer from the Japanese online store http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...sld/index.html so I could override the speed limit set by the PRC ECU

It is a simple device that sits in between the speed sensor line from the transmission and the input to the ECU. The HKS will send the speed signal without any change (so the frequency increases with car speed). Once the car reaches the speed limit it will stop transmitting an increasing frequency and hold it at the frequency below the speed limit thereby allowing the car to increase speed without the ECU being aware so it can’t inhibit speed.

This unit uses dip switch settings to work with different engines/transmissions. According to the table below my DC5 should use switch setting ST-1 (5th column) but my mechanic has only been able to get it to work on SH-4. So what is the outcome is this a CL7 or a DC5 that the speed override documentation has got wrong? If it is a CL7 am I losing performance anywhere?

Also as the speed reading comes from the speed sensor in the transmission is it possible that this is not the original speed sensor? How can we tell?

Thanks for your help.

HKS SLD.jpg
          Untitled.jpg
          Last edited by AS147; 19-05-15, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Curious...but why did you buy an engine from a Canadian eBay seller?

And would it be possible to connect me with the source for your seats? I'm interested in getting a pair.

Comment

Cheaper than trying to source it in Australia (where I live).

Comment

The motor is definitely not from a CL7, it has the DC5/EP3 PRC intake manifold, that ECU is a JDM DC5 part, and the transmission is definitely a JDM DC5R part (pre-facelift so 02-04, identical to an Australian DC5R box, the later gearboxes have a different 4 digit code). The case and mounting points on the CL7 gearbox are different so it wouldn't fit your mount kit anyway. Can't explain your issues with the speed cut though .

Comment

Well that is very welcome news, I am getting up to speed on the Honda world. As long as the speed cut out is working and the engine is as expected I am happy. Its been a long journey and looks like next week we will be driving!��

Thanks very much for the information.

Comment

WP_20150601_07_46_35_Pro_LI.jpg

Well the car is finished and is going for a shakedown test next Friday and will be on the track on 21st June for the first sprint. Driving it around town certainly is different to the old Rover 1.8. Apart from the power the gearing (6 instead of 5) took a little getting used to as you don't stay in 1st and 2nd gears for more than a second or two. The Rover 5 gear setup had a taller first gear so you got going a bit more before switching up.

I have a added a short shifter gear change and will need to get used to that but otherwise it feels REAAALLY good. I am meeting up with some of my fellow Lotus mates tomorrow morning so will post more pics after that.

Comment

Working...
                    X