No announcement yet.

S2000 - My Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it mounted nice and tight. To really make it as strong as possible, will use the other Earls bracket, and will get a metal and bolt it to an existing bolt. Im still waiting for Shak to get this bit of metal bent so we can finalise this!

As you can see the top fitting I will exchange for a 45degree fitting! Will have the two hoses go through the top left corner of the radiator, and into the sandwich plate!

All in all, Im looking to finalise this rather soon. I just ordered a second Defi oil temp sensor for something else that I'll bring into Jack so he can fab up that adapter fitting! Cant wait to run this, and see more laps at track days!

This is where the dual catch can will sit too in due course!
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Nice man! I know you went to so much effort for this set up to get it perfect.

I'm still lucky that I can go 5-10 laps at a time sand drive a full 15min session without getting to 125 degrees so no oil cooler for me yet. I'll still go with the greddy unit as it's the sinplest kit and I'm ceebs like that :P

Comment

Wow, good stuff Alex, so much effort and thought put into it.
        Keep it up and report back on how it goes after your track days!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
          Nice man! I know you went to so much effort for this set up to get it perfect.

I'm still lucky that I can go 5-10 laps at a time sand drive a full 15min session without getting to 125 degrees so no oil cooler for me yet. I'll still go with the greddy unit as it's the sinplest kit and I'm ceebs like that :P

Geez, really?:/ that's pretty good..
          What does your temp reach Todd?
          Yeah I'm the same and will just bolt in a greddy/trust cooler but then again like Alex said you don't want the oil to be to cool..

Comment

Great effort and write up regarding the Oil cooler. Looking forward to seeing the results of this with oil temperatures and Oil pressure.
            1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Thats pretty good that you can go up to 10 hot laps before 125C, is that 10 laps in a row Todd? What oil are you using?

Over the weekend, i'll get some 1 and 2 gear redlines and record it on the defi to see the oil pressure. Will get a video of it this time around, and then compare to the oil pressure loss once its all installed!

If you guys do go with the trust unit, try to see if you can fab up a block off plate to divert the air away from the cooler on street conditions. I know my car just cruising around hangs around 90C now since switching to ten tenths. Just by adding the cooler, this will increase volume of engine oil so it'll be under 90C in cruising mode. That being said, the thermostat should remain 95% closed as the temp would never exceed 93C for it to fully open. Now if I use the Trust setup, the oil cooler would be flowing oil in all conditions as it allows full flow at 73C. I'm looking to finalise this oil cooler setup by Jan/Feb next year. if you can wait till then, i'll let you know how I go with the temps on road conditions... and then again in March as I have a track day then!
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

I dont have pics, they are actually scattered across my instagram: Ahoyhoy88

but I also got the suspension fitted a couple months ago.

I ended up going with Zeal Function T coilovers. These were fitted with uprated x-coil springs from Zeal and are 16kg/14kg F:R. Dampners feel awesome, and looking forward to some more track days to get used to the new setup. I also installed my Ikeya Formula front upper arms, hardrace front camber joints/RCA, front anti bumpsteer kit, rear toe arms. Got the car aligned and running -3.2degree all around, zero toe up front, and 1mm toe-in on each side in the rears. 6.5degree castor. Car feels really good to drive now on the track, and just need more seat time. I also fittted my CE28N; 17x9+40 and 17x9.5+35 with 255/40/17 AD08R.

THe cat doenst scrub up front, but in the rear there is around 10-15mm poke. Scrubs on bumps at the moment.
                Integra Type R
                Integra Type S
                S2000

Comment

Holy, that's quite huge change in the setup. Keep this thread updated! Those coilovers must feel pretty stiff on the street.

Comment

yes. on the street its quite bumpy on the bad sydney roads.

Luckily I dont get an opportunity to drive it much!

The car in terms of performance is finished. Not seeking anymore power, suspension is done.

I will install a shorter final drive and GT wing in due course, but all other mods for the car is purely for reliability purposes!
                    Integra Type R
                    Integra Type S
                    S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Bluscreama View Post
                      Geez, really?:/ that's pretty good..
                      What does your temp reach Todd?
                      Yeah I'm the same and will just bolt in a greddy/trust cooler but then again like Alex said you don't want the oil to be to cool..
                      Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                      Thats pretty good that you can go up to 10 hot laps before 125C, is that 10 laps in a row Todd? What oil are you using?
                      yeah ive got a warning beep set up through the defi at 125 degrees and ive had it go off once over the 8 track days ive done so far and that was back when i was stock haha
                      i can do full sessions at SMSP (20mins) with no issues

general driving around town my oil temp is around 85-90 degrees
                      at the track it generally gets to 120ish (+/- a few degrees) and stays there.

at the last exe day i was easily doing 6+ hot laps in a row (all 1:11s) with no issues.
                      i use penrite 5w-40 hpr 5 oil and change it before every trackday so its always fresh. maybe this has something to do with it?
                      my general practice is 1 medium outlap followed by a 3/4 lap then into 5 or 6 fast laps followed by a cool down lap. thats generally a full 12-15 min session there
                      pretty normal i think?

when i go the trust/greddy cooler i will be be making a block off for non track driving

Comment

+6 hot laps in a row is insane, haha. Glad to know though as I don't run any temp gauges..

Comment

Nice write up Alex, cooler should work very well setup like that.

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                          Do you think it's worth checking that there isn't an error in your temperature gauge? Most people I talk to with stock K20s and F20s have higher oil temperatures than that on track. Not that I think it should worry you, I've never had a cooler on any of my cars and never popped a motor.

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                            +6 hot laps in a row is insane, haha. Glad to know though as I don't run any temp gauges..
                            Last session at exe track day I did 4 1:11s and then 2 1:10s in a row and was on another fast lap but got held up coming out of the fish hook so I slowed it down and coasted around to cool down. Each lap my times dropped lower and lower as well.

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                            Do you think it's worth checking that there isn't an error in your temperature gauge? Most people I talk to with stock K20s and F20s have higher oil temperatures than that on track. Not that I think it should worry you, I've never had a cooler on any of my cars and never popped a motor.
                            Hmmm could do it but I've always had the same temperatures since I started tracking and it's never been an issue. I do monitor temps and all that closely and always note what's doing what to make sure everything's the same as it usually is and I've never had any irregularities.
                            Realistically speaking 125 degrees for oil temp isn't really going to be detrimental anyway. Yes it'll degrade/sheer the oil over time but considering I change my oil every trackday (500-1000kms) it's not really an issue for me.

Comment

Hey Alex how is the Greddy E-manage ECU. How does it compare to the OEM ECU in terms of acceleration?

Comment

Thanks Tom, hopefully all goes well! A bit disappointed with the S2000 being a 15 year old car that no one has looked into that deeply...
                                Integra Type R
                                Integra Type S
                                S2000

Comment

Working...
                                X