Follow on Instagram
        http://www.instagram.com/96BRG

Comment

Originally posted by stephen8512 View Post
          THat looks awesome Todd! Love the fat sidewall on the tyres
          Thanks man.
          The more tyre the better!

Comment

First up some Christmas goodies from the jdmyard end of year sale and a Christmas gift from my girlfriend.

With the new hardrace camber joints I'll be able to achieve more camber in the front. The front was maxed out at -2.2 and now I'll be able to move up to -3 or so and this will help with turn in at the track.

The rear toe arms will help with with the bump steer toe out in the rear helping keep the car more stable while braking and cornering.

Both of these combined together will change the characteristics of the car and make it easier to drive at the track and should help bring my lap times down.

The haltech wideband will be paired with my haltech ecu that I bought this time last year and have not yet installed haha
            Was tossing up a few wideband but eventually went with the haltech unit for plug n play compatibility and ease of install. Other widebands were cheaper but would have to be repinned into the ecu so the hassle wasn't worth it to me.

The goal is to get the arms in and get back to the track this first half of the year and get back into the groove of it and then move onto getting the haltech installed and the car tuned for the second half of the year. Hopefully by the end of the year the car will be considerably faster!
            Last edited by Toddxxx; 08-01-17, 11:50 PM.

Comment

And then on the stroke of new years this happened
              More on this later though!

Comment

Dat transformer!
                Shak's S2000

Comment

The EK feels and looks like a small car until you park it next to a S2000!

Have you made back your purchase cost yet, from your mass part out?!
                  So many parts, so many 'Todd posted on every Honda group' notifications!
                  1997 Honda Civic EK4
                  Winton - 1:34.94
                  Bryant Park clockwise - 55.58
                  Bryant Park figure 8 - 61.30
                  Wakefield - 1:10.16
                  Phillip Island - 1:55.43

Comment

Originally posted by iwearmoccos View Post
                    The EK feels and looks like a small car until you park it next to a S2000!

Have you made back your purchase cost yet, from your mass part out?!
                    So many parts, so many 'Todd posted on every Honda group' notifications!
                    haha the ek has so much space compared to the s2k :P

and unfortunately i havent sold much yet well the bigger stuff anyway.
                    takes time though. itll go eventually.
                    i wont make the purchase price back but ill make a good chunk of it back hopefully
                    sorry about the notifications :P

Comment

And now for a more technical update.
                      Some free time over the xmas/new year period allowed me to do a few jobs on the car and do a general look over to see what need to be done before i start tracking again this year.

First up was a routine pad and rotor change. A while back i threw back in an old set of rotors and hc+ to just daily drive on as the W5 were way too aggressive for street use. When i put them back in the hc+ were already considerably worn down from a year and a half of track abuse so by now they were completely gone. Over time i had developed a squealing/grinding from the front wheel area and it had gotten worse and worse as time went on. In my head i had convinced myself the wheel bearing was going and i put off working on it as combined with my 'coilover issue' i wasnt going to be tracking any time soon. Im glad i didnt buy any wheel bearing parts as when i pulled the front pads off this is what i found.

The pad had worn down so much that the clip now sat higher than the pad material and had ground a nice ring all the way around the inside face of the rotor. Now with it all changed over the front no longer makes noise so there's one issue sorted. For this change i stuck with the RDA blank rotors and just got a cheap set of RDA brake pads (i think they cost me $60) for a street set up. I have a spare set of blanks and the W5 which i will swap over for track days and this way i dont destroy rotors and make my ears bleed with the W5 on the street haha

While i had the front rotors off i was able to work on the backing plates for the brake duct kit. When i initially installed the kit i was never able to sufficiently tighten the screws which hold the plate to the hub. To tighten the screws which fit in behind the hub assembly and has about 15mm clearance to work with i had to cut the tip of a screw driver off then use some vice grips to try and turn the bit. This obviously didnt work as both screws on the drivers side had fallen out over time and 1 on the passenger side had done the same. This left both plates loose and any time i went over a bump or uneven road surface the plates would bounce and rattle around which became very annoying. Some internet searching and a quick trip to bunnings later i had the right size screws but in a hex head which allows me to now tighten/untighten with a ratchet spanner which makes easy work of the job!

And last but not least is the rear axle nut TSB job that i completed. For a while now whenever i've taken off from stationary or changed to reverse i had a clicking/clunking noise from the rear. At first i put this down to the 'coilover issue' i was experiencing and ignored it but it had gotten more prominent lately and i finally looked it up and discovered the axle nut TSB and pretty much knew straight away that this was my issue. The TSB states that from facotory the rear axle nuts were never torqued sufficiently thus over time they loosen and allow play in the joint/hub causing premature wear and noise etc.
                      Its a simple fix of cracking the nuts, greasing the back of them then tightening them back on to better improved specs. Simple 5 min job
                      i borrowed a 1" breaker bar from work (TSB calls for 3/4" minimum) and it made easy work of the job. Not surprising was how loose the passenger side was. Barely any effort was put into loosening this nut and now im thinking this may have been the cause of the noises i originally thought was the coilover issue?

Felt like this when tightening haha

And the results speak for themselves. I didnt really put too much pressure on the breaker bar when doing this but i was easily able to get the nuts past the original factory point.

Driver side

Passenger side

The TSB calls for 45-60 degrees more past the stock marks so i think im around the 45-50 mark judging by the marks. Now done the car makes not one noise when leaving a stationary position which is great! The rear continues to make no noise as it had before so i think maybe the 'coilover issue' may have fixed itself/been another problem entirely but for now no noises and these few simple jobs have made the car 100x better and a pleasure to drive again and brought back my confidence in the car so now i cant wait to get back out to the track and hunt for PBs again!

Comment

Might need you to come around and have a ride in my car to see if its a similar noise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Glocker View Post
                          Might need you to come around and have a ride in my car to see if its a similar noise.

Which noise man?
                          The front grinding noise or the axle nut noise?
                          Not sure about other models but the axle nut issue was an issue from Honda and had a TSB released for it. Check to see if there's one for your car

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                            Which noise man?
                            The front grinding noise or the axle nut noise?
                            Not sure about other models but the axle nut issue was an issue from Honda and had a TSB released for it. Check to see if there's one for your car
                            Axle nut noise. Only happens on sharp bumps like cat eyes or joints in the road.

Comment

Car has taken a bit of a backseat while i get the daily civic up to scratch
                              Should be making a comeback soon
                              In the meantime took it out for a wash and headed to a little meet up with some friends last night
                              Hopefully some better updates soon

Comment

Finally some updates for the S2000!

I picked up some nice OEM bits over the weekend.
                                Since going to the all black interior i've had one OEM passenger side floor mat and one Mat King drivers side floor mat. I've constantly been on the lookout for an OEM set to come up for sale but when they did the drivers side was always in very bad shape. Finally after two years a friend offered up his set as he had gone to extended mats so i was more than happy to purchase

Nice and fresh. Barely any wear on the drivers side mat

While i was at his i also grabbed a set of outer window moulds. Was looking to buy a set of these brand new but it was just lucky that he offered up his first.

My original drivers side mould on the car had broken a tab quite a while ago and over time the trim had lifted and eventually caught on the hardtop and snapped a clip. I swapped the clips around and all was good again. Eventually the trim lifted over time and snapped another clip. This process continued until i was left with this.

All 6 clips snapped and the mould just sitting there being held onto the car by the hardtop edge and the front window guide. Finally happy to have this fixed as i no longer have to lower my window and hold the mould down to shut the door.
                                The passenger side was in fairly good nick still but i replaced it anyway.

Finally i added a nice little sticker to the engine bay to let everyone know whats up

There will be another update tomorrow hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                                X