Todd's new S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apu View Post
    Umm...why are you using a broom handle to prop up the bonnet?
    Can't use the stock prop with the js intake so I had hood struts for a bit. As I plan to run a carbon bonnet in the future I sold them to a friend and made this hood prop with an old broom handle. It's cut to length and has a rubber cap on the end etc
    Also the hood struts weighed 800g so good weight lost

Comment

Nice Todd, will love those wing stand!
      Did you get them anodised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bluscreama View Post
        Nice Todd, will love those wing stand!
        Did you get them anodised?

Nah I just left them raw.
        I'll get them powder coated at a later date probably

Comment

Todd's new s2000

Lovely update, sounds like you've been busy, can you explain #3, I understand removing the visors, they are useless, but why do you need to hang your steering wheel?

Sent from snoopnugs ringer
          using Tapatalk
          Last edited by gunpoons; 06-07-15, 05:53 PM.
          02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
            Lovely update, sounds like you've been busy, can you explain #3, I understand removing the visors, they are useless, but why do you need to hang your steering wheel?

Sent from snoopnugs ringer
            using Tapatalk
            during sessions at track days i usually just throw my wheel on the dash and with my old suede wheel this tended to accelerate wear. now that ive got a leather wheel ive found that placing it on the dash is actually marking the dash. made a quick bracket to just run specifically at track days so i can place it there in a convenient spot and not mark my dash any more

Comment

Last minute track day booked for next week at SMSP. Fun times!

Comment

Took the hard top off the car and like AE_Racer said you could see exactly where the hard top had been rubbing on the rubber moulding.
                Applied a strip of adhesive felt on each side, put the hard top back on and have been driving around for two days now with not a single noise from the hard top

Anyway small update
                I had some friends in VIC make me a set of their custom 295mm wing stands. As you can see from the photos their design is a little different to the standard voltex stands. This allows for more adjustibility in AoA etc

before with the 245mm stands

after with the 295mm stands

The wing now sits a lot higher and is the same height as the hard top. This should help with aero a bit.
                Ill get to test it out at the track day on Wednesday i guess

Comment

Haha nice Todd, glad you like them
                  Good luck Wednesday!

Comment

So tall!

Do you plan to paint them black?
                    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by Bluscreama View Post
                      Haha nice Todd, glad you like them
                      Good luck Wednesday!

loving them man! definitely what i wanted.
                      thanks man. hoping for PBs!

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                      So tall!

Do you plan to paint them black?
                      tall but not too tall. im not a fan of the CG 350mm stands thats for sure haha

i may get them powdercoated black in the future but no rush. i actually dont mind the raw finish

Comment

15/07/15 - FORMULA COMPANY SMSP TRACK DAY

Track day number 7 and my second time at Sydney Motorsport Park. The event was held by The formula Company with the same format as usual. Race cars in the morning and road cars in the afternoon. I went in the advanced group this time hoping that the traffic issue i experienced in the beginner group last time would be rectified. It turned out to be worse in the advanced group -___-

Overall my day was pretty lousy with the first four sessions plagued with problems and traffic. From my last outing nothing had really changed on the car. I ran my hard top and new wing stands for this track day so the car was slightly heavier than usual, as I haven't stripped the soft top yet.
                        I also made a few small adjustments to my alignment opting to stay at the -2.4 degrees camber front but running the rear at -3 degrees. Still have the usual 1mm toe in each side on the rear and 0 front.

Before my day even started the first problem arose with my rear passenger side tyre pressure sensor not working or displaying on my in car screen. The whole day i had no idea what my rear pressure was at. Lots of guessing followed.
                        A second factor was my tyres getting very close to the wear markers. Both the passenger side tyres were 1mm or so above the wear markers on the inside and the same for the rear drivers side. The front driver side had the most tread with about 3mm. Pretty even wear in my opinion. The rears have worn more due to the toe in. With this in mind new tyres are becoming a necessity.

Session One
                        Whole session was a write off. Nothing but traffic and more traffic!
                        My fastest lap was a 2.04 as I didn’t even get one semi clean lap. My top speed had increased from my last track day by 2km/h though so I guess the hard top does help in aero efficiency.
                        Due to no clean laps/fast driving I kept all the same settings for the second session.

Session Two
                        More of the same in this session with lots of traffic and guys in big expensive fast cars holding me up through the turns but then blasting off down the straight -___-
                        Did manage to get 1 clean lap in this session, which was a 1.56. As this was my first fast lap I was able to feel the car and it felt a bit off. Didn’t feel as planted in the corners and was a bit erratic through corners. Decided to drop the PSI for the next session.
                        Top speed in this session was up by 6km/h so the car was faster I just needed clean laps to

Session Three
                        I had dropped the PSI for this session to 33 HOT all round (was previously at 34 HOT). This helped the car through the corners and it started to feel a bit better. Car still definitely had some oversteer issues and at one stage I even lost it through turn 7 (honestly thought I was going into the wall haha).
                        Video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8WeY3gp0I

Still managed a 1.54 this session so I went back in early to adjust for next session. Dropped tyre PSI again and decided to change the angle of my wing. With the new wing stands I had put the wing at the flattest setting as my base point. I decided to raise the rear edge providing a more aggressive AoA. In this process I discovered that both my lower rear bolts on the stands were loose allowing the wing stands to shift up and down (I mustn’t have tightened them properly when installing?) I gathered this had to be the reason for the erratic rear of the car at different times as the wing would be moving and changing constantly.

Session Four
                        This session was a lot better! The car was handling better and I was happy with it.
                        The wing angle change helped drastically and the car no longer felt nervous in the rear and with the slight PSI drop it was feeling better through the corners. Traffic once again hampered this session with not many clean laps but I was just happy that the car was responding better.
                        After coming back in after the session my drivers side front tyre was 2 PSI higher than any of my other tyres so I lowered the PSI on that tyre only and left it at that.

Session Five
                        Finally! The car I remembered driving was back. Turns were better and the car felt good. It showed with my times falling into the 1.53s. You can see my best lap from this session in the video below.
                        PSI drop worked well for a few laps but the PSI and temps stopped climbing and the front ended up being lower than the rear, which lead to the car understeering a little. You can see this in the video with me fighting/turning the wheel a lot more than usual.
                        After a few good laps and a new PB I came back in and adjusted the front PSI and waited for my last session.

Session Six
                        Upped the front tyre PSI and ended up with 33 PSI front and 32 PSI rear (HOT). Was very happy with how the car felt after this. This final session was my best and I was really happy with my driving. I had a good ‘race’ with a BMW M3 race car for a few laps and in the end I netted a new PB of 1:52.5. Unfortunately I forgot to press the record button on the go pro so I never got this session on video -__-
                        However it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows. I was pushing harder and harder into turns and diving in on the brakes. Finally on my last lap into turn 6 the brakes started to let go a little and after that the pedal felt a little spongy. My guess is I cooked the brake fluid.
                        Also after pulling into the pits I checked my tyres and both rear tyres and the front passenger side are on the wear indicators and the driver side front is 1mm above the wear indicator.

PROS:
                        -New PB and lower lap times
                        -Driver skill improved
                        -Good info collected for later track days when I have newer tyres
                        -Didn’t put the car into the wall haha
                        -255 time!

CONS:
                        -Traffic!
                        -Forgot to record last session
                        -Brake issue needs to be looked at
                        -Need to buy new tyres ($$$)
                        -Tyre pressure sensor issue

Some photos from the day

Tilton Racing was at SMSP the say day testing out their famous evo. Accompanying them was Nakajma-san from voltex. Had the pleasure of chatting with him and fan girled and got a photo haha
                        Was a great day!

Comment

Looks beautiful mate.

Comment

Originally posted by kwokSTAA View Post
                            Looks beautiful mate.
                            Thanks man

Comment

Nice work Todd, hope to join you at a track day at SMSP. Car is looking great!

How many track days have these RS-3's gone through? From what I've heard they do tend to wear out pretty quickly. What tyres would you go for next?
                              1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                                Nice work Todd, hope to join you at a track day at SMSP. Car is looking great!

How many track days have these RS-3's gone through? From what I've heard they do tend to wear out pretty quickly. What tyres would you go for next?
                                I hope so too man. When are you coming up to wakey next man?

Umm in my possession I've done 3 track days on them. 2x SMSP and 1x WAKEY and about 2000kms driving.
                                Before I bought them Ryan daily drove his car with them so I'm not sure how many Km's he did on them.

I'll be staying with the RS3 and just going up to 255. I can get them for about $225 a tyre so for that price you can't beat them!

Comment

Working...
                                X