Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bluscreama View Post
        Now your turn, I believe need more updates

Not yet
        It's not even on the car haha

Comment

So for a while now i have been collecting weights to do a sort of weight reduction table to keep track of what has come out of the car.
          Everyone who tracks their car aims to lose as much weight as possible so this build was no different. I did however want to keep a full interior with the necessities and not go too silly with it and have the whole stripped EG thing going on. Some may argue that things like A/C is silly but i never use it. Basically everything i have removed so far has served no purpose to me.
          The end goal was to lose around 100kg so when i put extra things like roll bars and oil coolers in the car it was no heavier than i started with.

There's still a few things to be added on to the list that i haven't weighed yet hence some of the numbers missing so ill continuously update the thread with new additions (well subtractions really :P)
          All weights were done back to back and done on the same scale to keep the figures as controlled as possible.
          Some results were surprising with weights being either under or over listed weights already on the internet. My advice is to weigh everything yourself and to not trust the internet haha
          Anyway weights below

1. removed stock ignition cover
          = -310g

2. removed bonnet prop
          = -390g

3. removed under hood insulation mat
          = -650g

4. replaced stock intake with js racing intake
          stock intake = 3.3kg
          js racing intake = 2 .3kg

= -1kg

5. modified stock header
          stock with heat shields = 11.3kg
          stock with heat shields removed = 9.3kg
          stock with tabs removed = 8.4
          stock heat wrapped = 9kg

= -2.3kg

6. replaced stock cat with TP
          stock cat = 5.3kg
          stock cat with heat shields removed = 3.9kg
          invidia 70mm TP = 1.7kg

= -3.6kg

7. replaced stock exhaust with titanium single
          stock exhaust (catback) = 23kg
          byp 70mm single titanium exhaust (catback) = 4.2kg

= -18.8kg

8. removed air pump assembly
          = -3.3kg

9. removed A/C system
          = -12.5kg

10. removed window/headlight washer system
          washer bottle and motors = 1.51kg
          washer bottle capacity = 5L/5kg
          associated tubing = 390g
          headlight washer pieces = 200g

= -7.1kg

12. replaced stock steering wheel with momo/quick release and hub
          stock steering wheel = 2.8kg
          momo+QR+hub = 1.8kg

= -1kg

13. replaced driver side seat with bride zeta 3 type L fixed back
          stock seat + rail = 15.3kg
          bride zeta 3 typle L + rail = 11.3kg

= -4kg

14. remove passenger side seat (track day only)
          = -15.3kg

15. removed sun visors
          = -480g

16. removed wind stopper
          = -480g

17. removed padding/insulation/sound deadening under carpet
          = -4.2kg

18. replaced soft top strikers with RSG race brackets
          Stock soft top strikers/catchers = 1.3kg
          RSG race brackets = 225g

= -1.1kg

19. stripped boot area
          spare tyre = 11kg
          tool kit and log book = 3kg
          rear trim pieces = 2.7kg
          sound deadening = 1kg

= -17.7kg

23. replaced stock AP1 wheels with 17x9 ce28 and added tpms sensors
          stock AP1 rims and RE002 tyres = total 72.2kg
          ce28 with 245 RS3 tyres + tpms = total 69.6kg

= -2.6kg

total
          =81.8kg (everyday driving)
          =97.1kg (track days)

With these results my 100kg goal should easily be achieved in the near future and who knows what the final weight will end up being haha
          Last edited by Toddxxx; 05-07-15, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Well we're here.
            Finally the update everyone wanted to see haha

Decided it was time to get a hard top. For a while I had been tossing up which one to actually buy.
            A genuine Mugen frp top was always number one on my list but I was also considering a few other reps from reputable companies.

In the end a Forbidden USA frp hard top came up for sale locally around the time I decided to start getting quotes and knowing that Forbidden were good quality replicas I decided to go with that option.
            I went round and inspected it and minus a few paint blemishes the hard top was in good condition. It came with the tinted rear window and was already painted berlina black allowing me to put it on the car straight away.

It was a bit of a bittersweet moment as I've always been the genuine type of guy but saving myself over $2500 on a genuine Mugen top was too hard to pass up and I can now use that extra money in other, more beneficial places.
            My plan was always to colour match the hard top to the body but lately I've been liking the black roof on SSM so this is a good chance to see which direction I'll end up going.

In preparation for when I finally got a hard top I had already ordered RSG 2 piece rear and 1 piece front hardtop brackets.

Before starting the install I gave the hard top a bit of an overhaul to make sure everything was 100% prior to fitting so it only had to be done once.
            - the rear seal was taken off and replaced with a thicker one as the thin original seal is prone to allowing the hardtop to rub on the black mould causing creaks when driving.
            - around the window area I applied some back silicone around the back edge of the seal to make sure no air or water ever gets in. I also had to space the bottom part of the seal out where it folds back in under the hardtop to seal properly on the window/door area. If I'm not 100% satisfied with these seals after a bit ill probably just order an OEM set.
            - I also got some new Allen key bolts and stainless washers to neaten things up.

Ready to be installed

Install is fairly straight forward. You'll have to remove some of the plastic trims around the A pillar to attach the RSG brackets (if you use them). Doing so involved taking out the centre light which had developed a very annoying rattle when driving due to my exhaust. The culprit turned out to be mismatched screws holding in the assembly with one being too small and had worked its way lose. Nice to finally get rid of it! grin emoticon

You'll also have to remove a couple of the plastic panels behind the seats to attach the rear brackets. Loosely bolt down all the mounts to both the car and the hardtop so you have adjustability when finally mounting the top. Best to have a friend help push and pull the top into position while you tighten the bolts.

For a week or so Id recommend driving around without replacing the panels so you can easily get to the mounts and adjust them if you need to. You can also use this time as a 'break in period'. For the first few days my hard top creaked and cracked any time I drove over any type of uneven road. I was kicking myself thinking this is what you get for buying a replica etc but eventually it went away to a crack every so often. I could've lived with this but I wasn't 100% happy so I got some self adhesive felt strip and put it on the mounts between it and the hard top. The crack noises disappeared from that moment forward.

So now my final thoughts on the forbidden top and brackets.

- Quality is pretty good. Paint is average but that's not a hardtop issue
            - Fitment for the most part is good.
            Front edge along the windscreen is even and super tight thanks to the RSG brackets. I have taken the car up to 110km/h and no wind noise. Still yet to test at track.
            Rear edge bows a little higher in the middle but nothing major.
            The driver side seems to sit a little lower around the window than the passenger side. This could just be because of how I've mounted and adjusted the top so will play around with it a little more.
            Sprayed the car with a hose and no water leaks that I could find.

The RSG brackets front and rear have given me a lot more adjustability and are responsible for the great fitment I have achieved in my opinion. Recommend for any hardtop user. (Note: you will not be able to use the soft top with the rear brackets).

Overall I'm very happy with the forbidden hard top. No I don't have exact oem fitment everywhere but I also didn't pay the extra $2500 either. And for what is mostly a track car that can get damaged easily I'm fine with this.

Now for the pictures

Comment

Ooo nice..The berlina black goes great with it!! Regarding the windows don't adjust the hardtop you can just adjust the window and drop it a few mm down
              Pm me on fb if your stuck

Comment

Ooo nice..The berlina black goes great with it!! Regarding the windows don't adjust the hardtop you can just adjust the window and drop it a few mm down
                Pm me on fb if your stuck

yeah im liking the berlina top with the silver. still need to decide if i want to colour match or not though.

i know about the window drop and ill do that at the end. still need to adjust the top a little imo to get the gaps just behind the window equal. At the moment theyre probably about 5mm different and it annoys me :P

Comment

Leave berlina black!! Eh I want a hardtop!

Comment

Camo S2k looks so cool

Comment

Leave berlina black!! Eh I want a hardtop!

Get one man oem or mugen?

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
                      Camo S2k looks so cool
                      It does! Would look better if my wheels were silver though

Comment

It's on the cards soon, Mm I'm heading towards oem.. Not a fan of softop

Comment

It's on the cards soon, Mm I'm heading towards oem.. Not a fan of softop

There is currently an oem top for sale in syd for $2800. Silver stone tho

Comment

Bit of a boring update but I used the weekend to go through the entire car and check off a long list of little jobs that I had been meaning to get around to. Nothing too exciting but it felt good to finally get some of these things crossed off.

1. Did one final adjustment to the hardtop and finally happy with how it sits. Hopefully the cracking and creaking that had slowly made its way back stays away for good now.

2. Refitted all the interior plastic trims that I had left off since installing the hardtop to allow for adjustments. A pillar trims were easy and clipped straight back in. Rear seat trims had to have the brush piece taken off to fit around the rear hard top brackets. Putting the trims back in has drastically reduced road noise!

3. Made a hook out of aluminum to hang my steering wheel from on track days. As I removed the sun visors I just used the passenger side screw to hold it in place.

4. Removed the wind diffuser on top of the centre compartment. I always had it folded down as it interferes with my go pro mount/it has no use as the hard top will be be a permanent thing/easier access to the rear shelf and hey another 500g of weight reduction tongue emoticon
                            Thinking about finding someone who wants to trade their compartment lid from a 00 without a diffuser for my one with the diffuser so I don't have the holes there.

5. Figured out a way to get the passenger seat out of the car with the hardtop in place. This will come in handy at track days.

6. Fixed the sagging shift boot so that it sits right at the bottom of the gearknob now. (thanks andrew :P)

7. Removed my old seat belt extender which just clipped into the existing stock clip and replaced it with a new extended unit which bolts directly to my seat rail instead. Ended up being too long and sat way too far across my body to be safe. Took it back out and kept the original one I had.

8. Since swapping the interior across to black my new black door card handles have been wobbly and loose. Took them off and discovered no screws holding them to the door card. Quick trip to the hardware store fixed this and they're now sturdy and wobble free again.

9. Set the right time on my defi advance screen finally!

10. Installed some rubber stoppers on the boot lid hinges to stop it opening fully and hitting the hardtop.

11. In preparation for my new wing stands I took the wing off the boot lid and gave it a fresh coat of silver as it had turned a yellowy hue over time. Got the base plates back on and now just waiting for my stands to arrive.

12. Put the stock heat shield back on after selling my js racing one a month or so ago. I may apply gold heat tape to this one as well at a later date?

13. Pulled the js intake off to weigh it for my weight reduction list and to sand down my cooling plate that has been rubbing on the intake snorkel in a particular spot.

14. Removed the washer bottle behind the guard and all the associated tubing to the headlight washers and the windscreen washers. 7.1kg removed.

15. Adjusted my bonnet to sit perfect again after installing the washers to space it up a tiny bit. Even gap on either side.

Can't have a post without pictures so here's a pic of my engine bay as of today

Comment

updated the weight reduction thread on the previous page.
                              another 8.6kg taken form the car. total weight reduction is up to 97.1kg now

Comment

Umm...why are you using a broom handle to prop up the bonnet?

Comment

Working...
                                X