Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 CRX - Beyonce

Hi all,
    Hoping to introduce my daily - 1988 CRX D16A ... apologies in advance for the long post. She is old.

She has the following:
    Front and Rear Tiebars
    Integra Vti-r brake upgrade
    Coil Over suspension
    Camber Kit
    Suspension Bushings
    Exhaust System
    KN Filter (drop-in)
    Radio / Speaker Delete (replaced housings with acoustic foam)

In an effort to keep her young, I got the seats Re-upholstered (I have since replaced the 'type r' shift knob to stock...it was also boiling hot to touch when exposed to the sun):
    I ummed and ahh'ed a bit about whether or not to get Racing seats....but that would just tempt me to go to the track...so I got a custom Ebay special from the States:

The previous owner used Beyonce as a daily & track car, hence the extensive suspension mod listing- In my ownership, I'll be focusing more on the daily driving pleasures....and one of the things that interest me is Fuel Economy! *driving a hybrid is like doing it like a star fish....it ain't that exciting.

I've owned her for about a year now, and have consistently been getting approx 8.4L / 100 km ...she has a JDM ECU and has a richer tune (so the previous owner tells me), so maybe getting into the magical 6L / 100KM is going to be a stretch, but hey, we'll try anyway...

Front Air Dam Mod
    Bunnings lawn edging, Screws and 1 sick day later...

Not so low as to scrape speed humps and drive ways, so pretty happy with that! At a side on view, the profile is a little bit like the Fiesta - where there is a visibile drop at the front and tampers upwards towards the rear. The mod itself is pretty ghetto - L brackets that follow the bottom lip of the front bumper, then drill garden edging with zip tie fasteners for extra measure. I didn't use a ruler.....It was that type of day.
    More info about air dams here (the reference pic is hilarious): http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Front_air_dam

You can also see that I partially blocked off the front grill hole - this is to allow the engine to get up to normal operating temp faster, reduce aerodynamic drag and achieve better fuel economy. I watched the temp gauge like a hawk - faster warm up, but no over heating issues. Success.
    More info about it here: http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/...artial_or_full

Post front air dam mod has netted very good results - got 7.62L / 100KM! It was pretty rewarding being able to 'feel' the difference, especially with a leading a vehicle.

Rear Aero

There is a pretty big gap between the rear guards and the bumper - this traps air travelling underneath the car creating a parachute effect....this can be mitigated by drilling copious amounts of holes in the rear bumper, but that just looks ugly. Why not try to avoid air getting there in the first place?

Ideally, a rear diffuser would be perfect for this mod (see J's Racing CRX)...but effort to reward ratio leads me to the point of least resistance.

Looking from the rear of the car though...I think that the hinge will sit on the bumper side, so the board will be angling 'upwards' towards the car, where the wind would hit the board and divert to underneath the car....and then this would effectively 'lower' the point of the 'parachute', allowing the trapped air greater opportunity to escape.

I think I'll aim to use something like choroplast (think the plastic real estate board / stop signs), a few self closing hinges (Say 4?) and 'angle' the trapped air out from under the bumper. - Might leave the area near the exhaust alone though, don't want to be smokin' when I don't have to!

Hoping this will crack closer to the 6L's / 100km

Thanks for viewing!

Jules @ 165,XXXKM

Ghetto mods!

Love the CRX's cant wait to see what next.... Keep the ghetto mods coming, I'm planning on making up some lawn edging side skirts too... Might steal some of your ideas

Comment

Welcome Mr. Tang.

Comment

Yesterday was a good day to do some modding. The weather was great, so not to waste a sickie I got to work.

Materials:
        1 x Choroplast Stop Sign (or from Bunnings http://www.bunnings.com.au/900-x-600...flute_p0390160)
        1 x Extendable Antenna (I couldn't find a tape measure)
        1 x Stanley Knife
        1 x Drill
        Many x Zip Ties
        Many x Duct Tape

Time: ~ 2 Hours

Here is that massive gap I've been talking about - the CRX underbody is fairly smooth, when the car is in motion, there arn't very many nooks and crannies air can get stuck in, but I want to make sure that air doesn't get trapped here:

OEM Honda part: 1990 - 1992 EG Civic...but are rare as hens teeth...so gotta Ghetto mod..:

I didn't end up using the hinges I purchased - thought that I should see how the many zip tie solution would work.

I added some duct tape on the surface just to make the coroplast board a little bit more weather resistant

My main concern was the angle of the panels ....I would rather it angle up too high (i.e. towards the car) as opposed to too low (i.e. downwards to the ground), as in the latter scenario, we could see stuff flying out the rear of teh car at speed....that would be no good to any one.
        The mud flap acts as a wind stop (not good for aero, as air trapped in the wheel well will just swirl around...but I like the look of mud flaps) - and it plays it's part in 'boxing off' the rear bumper area.

Completed:

When the car is off the jack stands, the rear panels cannot be seen - which is great, because last thing I want is some ghetto parts sticking out whilst I'm driving haha

After a test run, I can confirm that all is well! No noises / resistance from the rear.

Fuel Economy: So the baseline now is 7.6L/ 100km (post Front Air Dam). Will be interesting to see how much (if any) this mod nets.

I think very soon I will require new tires (I'm thinking Feb / March next year...definately before winter). These will most likely be low rolling resistance, skinny tires - which means no more Potenza RE001's for me.

Happy motoring!
        Jules @ 166,381KM

Comment

Nice work sir, I don't think you'll see as impressive a gain as with the front air dam though. I'm glad you didn't decide to put holes in your rear bumper, the people that do that are a bit foolish IMO. Also your fuel economy is still worse than my black EF, and that has more frontal area and carburettors :P.

Comment

Yeah, not a fan!

Comment

Awesome news on the fuel economy front:

Highlights - In Jan, had a rode trip on the Great Ocean Road, staying in Lorne. Did a Initial D style run (for Bread, not Tofu) in the morning to the Wye River General Store. The drive was amazing...it's really great to have the road all to yourself, hearing the ocean and the CRX echo off the walls!

My drive now is mostly highway, and I have been quite diligent in slip streaming when ever I can. 3.1K RPM = 103 ish KM my aim is to stay in this band!

Northcote Plaza happened:

Deep scratches. She is now scarred....on the path to looking ghetto (not by choice)

Comment

I'm pretty sure that these cars had a CD of 0.29 when released making them one of the top "slippery" production cars of their era. A great base to start on.

Love the shape and the era of your car and it looks like you are having fun with your challenge - kudos to you

BTW, on the freeway my '85/86 eta E30 (2.7 litre/automatic straight 6) BMW has dropped to 6.8 litres/100kms at a consistent 110km/h even with the speedo out by 6% at that speed. I figure that's pretty damn good given the box shape (and a redline of 4500 ).

How are you measuring your consumption? I've been doing it by filling the tank and using the gps and odometer to measure distance travelled then filling tank to get petrol consumed.
                1988 CRX
                1999 Integra Type R
                2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Originally posted by Setanta View Post
                  How are you measuring your consumption? I've been doing it by filling the tank and using the gps and odometer to measure distance travelled then filling tank to get petrol consumed.
                  I'm a bit of a nerd about this too, usually my mix of 30% city/70% hwy driving gives me about 7.5-8L/100km. although gone up by about 10% after I/H/E (probably more of a psycholgical noise/vtec factor in that though)

I'm talking dad into getting a Holden Volt, their cheaper now because dealers cant get rid of them, wanna try that 370nm @ 0rpm

"Because in a split second, it's gone" ~Ayrton Senna

Comment

Hey dudes, cheers for the comments - I use this app called 'Fill Up', it's free on Google Play. Reads off the total odometer and calculates everything. Pretty easy to input after filling the tank

I average about 70KM per day, about 90% freeway travel. East link is pretty awesome. Although recently the 40+ degree days are pretty draining when coming back home. I have to peel myself out of the seat.

Should probably investigate some heat shield type padding for the roof and perhaps the firewall.... something like this:

Perhaps I'll line the boot well and fire walls with this from Masters https://www.masters.com.au/product/9...insulation-60m

Haha, we'll see.

CRX @ 167xxx KM

Comment

Working...
                    X